It's outstanding CAD work either way Floyd. From someone that's also 3D scaled for Flight Simulator I know the pain involved in trying to get it right. That tailboom antenna would work for someone wanting to build out one of the Italian Hueys working in Afghanistan. Of course it's more work on everyone to include everything on that old CAD drawing but offered the modeler some great options for the price.

32746955104_ef605de692_b.jpg

Ray, at least one of the TOW NUH-1Bs ended up at Fort Hunter Liggett CA in 1974-75 as evidenced by this horrible Kodak texture print from Steve Murphy who was working the system there. He could not recall the number on it but there were only two at that time...so it's gotta be one or the other.

33460528791_9ebed496aa_b.jpg

Edited by snake36bravo
1 minute ago, snake36bravo said:

It's outstanding CAD work either way Floyd. From someone that's also 3D scaled for Flight Simulator I know the pain involved in trying to get it right. That tailboom antenna would work for someone wanted to build out one the Spanish Hueys working in Afghanistan. Of course it's more work on everyone to include everything on that old CAD drawing but offered the modeler some great options for the price.

32746955104_ef605de692_b.jpg

Ray, at least one of the TOW NUH-1Bs ended up at Fort Hunter Liggett CA in 1974-75 as evidenced by this horrible Kodak texture print from Steve Murphy who was working the system there. He could recall the number on it.

Italian, not Spanish.  

1 minute ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Italian, not Spanish.  

Thanks Huey CE, I was editing it when you posted this. You'll see a lot of my posts will usually be edited. I had a mild Stroke in October at just 44. Sometimes my memory recall is there...most of the time it happens only after I've posted something or said something. Bummer but there it is.

2 minutes ago, snake36bravo said:

Thanks Huey CE, I was editing it when you posted this. You'll see a lot of my posts will usually be edited. I had a mild Stroke in October at just 44. Sometimes my memory recall is there...most of the time it happens only after I've posted something or said something. Bummer but there it is.

No worries brother, just trying to help!

8 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Italian Army Aviation AB-205 MEP used in A-Stan with the ISAF mission. She has the AH-1F IR exhaust and the ALQ-144 jammer, plus lots of laser and countermeasure devices. Hope to build one some day.

Rod.

Looks impressive with that AH-1F IR exhaust

11 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Italian Army Aviation AB-205 MEP used in A-Stan with the ISAF mission. She has the AH-1F IR exhaust and the ALQ-144 jammer, plus lots of laser and countermeasure devices. Hope to build one some day.

Rod.

Looks impressive with that AH-1F IR exhaust

wow!

e0jzp2.jpg

2 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

It's outstanding CAD work either way Floyd. From someone that's also 3D scaled for Flight Simulator I know the pain involved in trying to get it right. That tailboom antenna would work for someone wanting to build out one of the Italian Hueys working in Afghanistan. Of course it's more work on everyone to include everything on that old CAD drawing but offered the modeler some great options for the price.

Ray, at least one of the TOW NUH-1Bs ended up at Fort Hunter Liggett CA in 1974-75 as evidenced by this horrible Kodak texture print from Steve Murphy who was working the system there. He could not recall the number on it but there were only two at that time...so it's gotta be one or the other.

Actually lLoyd, that is an NUH-1M.  note the roof mounted pitot and 540 main rotor.  Only 2 NUH-1Bs went to Vietnam, but the NUH-1M was also used to test components of the system CONUS.  That is the first pic I've seen of an NUH-1M with the sight though.  the others I have show her with the XM26 pods installed.

Ray

2 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

Hmm, I was sort of hoping for this version because it's just a matter of leaving off post-war mods and there's even a German Dornier built Huey peculiarity there for those wanting to build Heer Hueys in German colors. Oh well. It's still nice someone is doing a new kit in any scale to begin with.

The whole reason this project has taken so long to arrive at an accurate US D/H Huey is that the original CAD showed a nice UH-1D, but it was the Dornier German UH-1D!  Clearly someone google UH-1D and found lots of refs on German Hueys.

Ray

Wow that looks amazing. I wonder how that detail will translate in 1/48th? In 1/35th I can see it but if KH sticks to what those CAD pics show it will be an amazing model in 1/48. Hmmm now to sell my stack of ESCI and Italeri Huey kits. Although I could use them as decal carriers?

Even more excited now  :worship::worship::yahoo::yahoo::banana::banana::clap2::clap2:

19 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Wow that looks amazing. I wonder how that detail will translate in 1/48th? In 1/35th I can see it but if KH sticks to what those CAD pics show it will be an amazing model in 1/48. Hmmm now to sell my stack of ESCI and Italeri Huey kits. Although I could use them as decal carriers?

Even more excited now  :worship::worship::yahoo::yahoo::banana::banana::clap2::clap2:

count me in on one of the italeri and esci kits you will be selling :beer4:

On 3/21/2017 at 2:14 PM, salvador001 said:

Check this link: http://www.modelaces.com/148_scale_model/bell_uh-1.php

Its the Dragon kit with parts from the MRC UH-1C. For me, its the best UH-1H in 1/35 ive seen.

If you put some love to the kit it could turn out in a better quality model, but definitly its a lot of work.

Rod.

Thanks for the kind words, Rod!  That's a commission build I did for a Vietnam veteran, and yes, the Panda/Dragon UH-1s need a LOT of work to omit a lot of chunky parts (main rotor gearbox, HUGE rivets, etc, etc...)  It can be done, though. The only reason I agreed to do the build is because I had (sortof) done one previously and fixed what I could.  My UH-1N was built in much the same way; sand the boom clean and replace with Archer rivets, steal the rotor head and main rotor gearbox from a Dragon C Model, etc, etc.  Here she is in all her glory:

Semper Fly,

Ski

733918_625549114126167_1686053574_n.jpg

1 hour ago, usmcski6502 said:

Thanks for the kind words, Rod!  That's a commission build I did for a Vietnam veteran, and yes, the Panda/Dragon UH-1s need a LOT of work to omit a lot of chunky parts (main rotor gearbox, HUGE rivets, etc, etc...)  It can be done, though. The only reason I agreed to do the build is because I had (sortof) done one previously and fixed what I could.  My UH-1N was built in much the same way; sand the boom clean and replace with Archer rivets, steal the rotor head and main rotor gearbox from a Dragon C Model, etc, etc.  Here she is in all her glory:

Semper Fly,

Ski

733918_625549114126167_1686053574_n.jpg

Wooooah! That's a model???

That looks a pic of a real Huey! 

Man, you nailed that one down! Outstanding model. I bet your veteran friend enjoyed that.

Tim

Good eyes, Ray!  It is indeed a SCAS November.  I wanted to build a model of the first Huey I ever crewed; she's 159202/UV 30, as she appeared in 2007.  I used the Cobra Company conversion as a base, then added parts from the MRC UH-1C, OH-58D, MH-60, Werners Wings, and a bunch of scratch building.  Took 6 months off and on, but I like how she turned out.  Had to stop taking her to shows, the skids kept spreading!  True to form for a November, with all that aftermarket resin, she's over max gross weight.  Anyway, sorry if I hijacked the thread, I'm done.

Semper,

Ski

Ski, didnt know you built that Huey, man you did an amazing job on that model, congrats and great modelling skills. Love the result. Your November looks amazing too.

Would like to see some progress shots of the UH-1H if you have some.

Again, congrats on the best UH-1H in 1/35 ive seen.

Rod.

1 hour ago, Winnie said:

So the 212 I fly has the SCAS but retained the Stab Bar, do you know why they removed them other than for the aprox. 70 lbs of weight it took away?

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible!  I thought you either had one or the other. 

Ray

12 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Wow, I didn't even know that was possible!  I thought you either had one or the other. 

Ray

I don't know how the USMC SCAS works, but ours is a Sperry system from the 70's, and it has some of the fidelity of a full fledged autopilot, like altitude and heading or navigation hold, but that's where it ends. it can also be flown SCAS completely off, but you have to set it up on the ground for it, as in centering controls before turning SCAS off.

On 3/21/2017 at 0:27 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Also don't forget that damn tailboom door that I could never get correct.  The tailboom was also not the correct shape.  Incorrect rotor system.  Incorrect tail rotor blades.  Incorrect Main rotor blades.  It just was a pain in the fool and I threw mine away.

Floyd

What was wrong with the tailboom?  I never knew that had issues.  I believe the other things you mentioned were addressed by the CC Huey upgrade kit (no idea if that's still available).   I used the Cobra stuff and a bunch of scratch building on my old Huey build and was somewhat happy with the outcome.  In retrospect, I would have taken the time to sand down the heavy framing around the skylight and chin bubbles. 

IMG_2911.jpg

After hearing about the cancellation of the KH kit, I was actually thinking about starting a new Dragon kit with all the corrections mentioned in this thread.   However, the windshield issue took the wind out my sails. No way to correct that problem and now that I'm aware of it, it's just not worth doing everything else.   Thanks Ray  :)