10 minutes ago, 11bee said:

What was wrong with the tailboom?  I never knew that had issues.  I believe the other things you mentioned were addressed by the CC Huey upgrade kit (no idea if that's still available).   I used the Cobra stuff and a bunch of scratch building on my old Huey build and was somewhat happy with the outcome.  In retrospect, I would have taken the time to sand down the heavy framing around the skylight and chin bubbles. 

IMG_2911.jpg

After hearing about the cancellation of the KH kit, I was actually thinking about starting a new Dragon kit with all the corrections mentioned in this thread.   However, the windshield issue took the wind out my sails. No way to correct that problem and now that I'm aware of it, it's just not worth doing everything else.   Thanks Ray  :)    

John,

Your Huey looks great.  Sorry to harp on the windshield issue.  Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have.  It's nice not to be married to particular scale at times like that.

Ray

2 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

John,

Your Huey looks great.  Sorry to harp on the windshield issue.  Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have.  It's nice not to be married to particular scale at times like that.

Ray

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wasn't slagging on you. I appreciate you flagging this.   I never noticed it before but now that you brought it up, it's really something that bugs me.  Just not worth going down the Dragon road, investing a sh*t-ton of work and still have to look at the windshield.  

I am curious what Dragon missed on the tailboom shape (as Floyd mentioned).  Didn't know that they botched that part. 

Just now, 11bee said:

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wasn't slagging on you. I appreciate you flagging this.   I never noticed it before but now that you brought it up, it's really something that bugs me.  Just not worth going down the Dragon road, investing a sh*t-ton of work and still have to look at the windshield.  

I am curious what Dragon missed on the tailboom shape (as Floyd mentioned).  Didn't know that they botched that part. 

I believe that Floyd was referring to the door in the tailboom which is a 212 feature.  The kit supplies a blanking piece but you have to fill the gaps and level it out as i'm sure you found on your build.  I haven't compared the shape of the tailboom too closely, but I'll see if i can get a comparison to the real thing up for you since i can tell you are curious.

Ray 

Getting back to the subject of a new-tool Huey, I took this pic of a Huey in a nearby museum.  It was an NG helo that was in service up to the end.   I noted the LCD display on the center console.   Obviously that wasn't present on Vietnam era helos.   Was this a standard upgrade for all late Army Hueys?  I assume it was navigation related?

IMG_6092_zpsc345aa70.jpg

If KH ever gets around to releasing a late version Huey, don't forget this feature!

Edited by 11bee

That's the NVG filter cover for the caution light display panel. The panel was installed on all airframes from the factory build. The NVG filter cover was installed as part of a package that turned all lighting to blue by either changing the existing lighting from red to blue (bulb cover replacement) or new blue instrument masks. Avionics control heads had red internal lighting. The boxes were swapped out control heads that had the internal red switched to blue.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

I meant the shape of the tailboom In cross section.  I think it's too round.  I could be incorrect. 

I broke down today and bought a Dragon kit and a whole slew of CC things along with the Eduard set and the Fireball Modelworks medivac set for $20.  Too good to pass up even if I resold some of it.

i wish I had found a German Huey for the correct blades

Floyd

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I meant the shape of the tailboom In cross section.  I think it's too round.  I could be incorrect. 

I broke down today and bought a Dragon kit and a whole slew of CC things along with the Eduard set and the Fireball Modelworks medivac set for $20.  Too good to pass up even if I resold some of it.

i wish I had found a German Huey for the correct blades

Floyd

many gazillion moons ago, I was riding in a slick when somebody took a pot shot at it. We got up in the air about a hundred feet and literally came strait down with a broken tail boom. The one bullet that hit the chopper, broke a triangle shaped brace inside the boom causing it to sorta lean to the co-pilot's side about a foot. The drive shaft was OK, but in a serious bind. So what does this lead us to? The tail boom was triangular shaped to a certain extent. Yet even then; only slightly.

I've seen the German Huey as well as an IDF one. What's the difference?

gary

14 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

I've seen the German Huey as well as an IDF one. What's the difference?

gary

They have a different rivet pattern on the nose.  The early style pitot tubes.  Glideslope antenna on the nose.  Vertical engine inlets.  Hoist.  Antenna on the tailboom.  Different seats and arrangement in the back.  Some kind of bulge under the rear fuselage.  Different antennas.  Different instrument panel.  And some other things I'm sure I've forgot.

Floyd