18 hours ago, salvador001 said:

I believe he is referring to the UH-1Y, that kit comes with the nose, windshield section and tail boom apart from the fuselage, pretty strange.

Rod.

Rod,

The UH-1Y and AH-1Z share the same tail boom, which is why they are separate from the fuselage in the kits. It's the same sprue in both, which would lead me to believe it was a more cost effective option.

1 minute ago, Dave Roof said:

Rod,

The UH-1Y and AH-1Z share the same tail boom, which is why they are separate from the fuselage in the kits. It's the same sprue in both, which would lead me to believe it was a more cost effective option.

Correct;

The UH-1Y and AH-1Z share Main rotor,Tail Rotor,Tail Boom, Engines & drive line. Which means Less Tax $$$, and easier Logistics on board LSH

26 minutes ago, hawkwrench said:

Huh, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday! 

Tim

Actually first time it's been done to this extent. Although the original UH-1 & AH-1 only shared rotors & engine

Yeah, they been working on that from day one I believe, the N and W had that. 

I like the V-22. The H-46 was a good bird but used well past its sell date. 

I never enjoyed flying in an Osprey, to be honest, particularly in combat.  Too few egress point over water, and not enough crew served weapons.  A Phrog had at least two .50 cals and occasionally an M240 on the rear ramp, whereas a Plopter had an M240 on the ramp.  I know all about the IDWS, and I'm not a believer.  While I'm not a Phrog guy, I'd much rather fly in a -46 than an Osprey, every time.  Speed is one one thing; survivability is another.

Semper,

Ski

3 hours ago, Tank said:

Yeah, they been working on that from day one I believe, the N and W had that. 

I like the V-22. The H-46 was a good bird but used well past its sell date. 

keep in mind the V22 started out as an idea that was laughed at (long before the military got involved. It was thought of as a commuter/ short run cargo that could land most anywhere. You didn't need an airport! Several air freight firms showed interest, but no big market commuter. The idea, and some technology was stolen by some shady interests. Then the Fed stepped in with great interest. A prototype was built, and rebuilt several times before being destroyed. It was a learning project while designing it. No one knew for sure it would even fly! Once it was up and running you had to learn to fly it. There were lots and lots of pilot induced crashes in that time frame. At the sametime the next generation airframe was on the computer. Nobody showed interest, so how do we know the idea is a dud? By now the third generation is on the computer. Which is why Rolls Royce has shown interest in a smaller turboprop power plant, but with greater shaft horse power.  

Will the concept replace the chopper as we know it? not everything, but at least 50%. It has more range and can do more. Will it replace a slick for insertions? No! Yet point to point massive troop move it can do it faster and better.

gary 

Sorry guys... let me back track this topic little bit! I have seen an item on Ebay  with the sale of this kit:

eBay item number:292130317463

Any one confirm that will possible happen? thanks

let_models, 

10 hours ago, let_models said:

Sorry guys... let me back track this topic little bit! I have seen an item on Ebay  with the sale of this kit:

eBay item number:292130317463

Any one confirm that will possible happen? thanks

let_models, 

I am sure it is just a preorder

So do we know when this will be released yet? I want to pre-order, but I'm moving back to Canada in mid July and  don't want a pre-order to get lost or messed up.

TIA

Brad

4 hours ago, Brad-M said:

So do we know when this will be released yet? I want to pre-order, but I'm moving back to Canada in mid July and  don't want a pre-order to get lost or messed up.

TIA

Brad

Floyd hasn't proofed the kit yet so a good bet is that it has not been released.  

Floyd has given me the great honor of presenting the first photos of the assembled test shot of the new Kitty Hawk UH-1D/H (please note this is not Floyd's build but from Kitty Hawk).  I am so grateful to Floyd for letting me be a part of this. I think I can say with absolute certainty this is the best 1/48 Huey ever produced.  In particular, the main rotor and rotorhead is a work of art.  Remember this is a first look and there may still be minor tweaks, but we wanted to show it to you guys as soon as we got it.  Promise kept, my friends!

Ray

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: outdoor

Edited by rotorwash

Sweet!!! OMG this is just a work of art. Hope it is not the final product as i see some issues, but surely it looks a thousand years better than the Italeri one.

Thank you guys for the effort. Ill order mine soon.

Rod.

Some issues i see are:

Skid shoes (not seen in vietnam)

Center winshield frame needs to be straight on the left upper side corner.

Pitot tube a bit long.

Main rotor dampers are a bit high

Beacon light looks like blackhawk type.

But this things can be fixed so again, i want to thank you all for hearing us Huey freaks and giving us a new model of our favourite chopper. Love it!

Rod.

Wow, that looks really nice. Great job and a big thanks to KH, Floyd and Ray. You guys did an outstanding job proofing this model. I for one am not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

This model is NICE!!!

I'll definitely buy one!

Tim

51 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Looks like the nicest Huey kit out there, I am not sure if I am a fan of the detail aft of the cabin door though, it looks a little heavy. 

It looks very heavy, as are some of the other details on the fuselage. Also, the aft engine cowling doesn't look quite right (that heavy horizontal hinge) and is it me or is the engine exhaust undersized?  A few other things,  the M60, the brass catcher and ammo box look off, as does the pilots seat armor.  Also, what's with those big PE boxes inside the pilot's doors?  Speaking of PE, love the mesh on the cowling.    Looks like no PE for the seat belts?  

None of these are deal breakers and hopefully most will be addressed before it hits the streets.  If not, we are still further ahead than we currently are. 

Hope all you 48th scale guys buy lots of these so they'll release a large scale version.  Thanks to Floyd and Ray for making this happen.  

Edited by 11bee