4 hours ago, Tank said:

I can understand. I think it would look better with raised but then folks won't like size or the loss when matting parts.

Does seem strange to go divets but raised only on the b pillar toe holds. Unless I am not seeing it clearly this morning. Easy fix either way.

Part of what makes a Huey a Huey are the thousands of raised rivets that cover her.  Can't understand what KH was thinking. There are plenty of modern 48th scale kits out there that nicely replicate raised rivets.  IMO, those divets are very noticeable in 48th and will be much more so when they scale the kit up to 35th.   Between this and those strange raised panels that cover the aft fuselage, there will be some work required (assuming KH doesn't address all this prior to final release) sanding, rescribing and applying Archer rivet decals.   

Really hope they don't also do this on the upcoming Littlebird kit, which also features raised rivets on the real thing.  

4 hours ago, salvador001 said:

LOL i didnt noticed that Ray, it doesnt have it, but maybe the guy who build this preview forgot it. It can be made with stretch sprue but hope the stinger will be in the box.

Rod.

Let's put it this way, I feel fairly certain the person who put this together is not a Huey expert.  Everyone needs to chill till Floyd gets the sprues in his hands.  Then we will know what is and what is not in the kit.  I only posted the test build because everyone has been clamouring to see it.  When it's in Floyd's hands we will see what a helo modeler can really do with it.  The rotor mast is a prime example of something that needs a helo modeler's touch.

Ray

8 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Floyd, any chance Werner Wings might release the ASE (Aircraft Survavility Equipment) for this model? Knowing that the Fireball sets are out of production and nobody else makes the sets to convert a modern H/V model.

Let's see what is in the box first.  Then we'll know what we are dealing with and if need be, maybe.

Floyd

43 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Let's see what is in the box first.  Then we'll know what we are dealing with and if need be, maybe.

Floyd

I'd be curious how anyone would replicate the wsp guards around the windshield wiper mounts.  They seem like they would be tough to make in scale thickness in 48th scale (or even 35th).  

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'd be curious how anyone would replicate the wsp guards around the windshield wiper mounts.  They seem like they would be tough to make in scale thickness in 48th scale (or even 35th).  

They got it correct and scale on the Venom.  Just saying

Floyd

Thanks to Floyd, Ray and KH for giving us the ultimate Huey in 1/48 scale. As far as rivets go, you can always fill them, and replace with some raised ones from Archer. It's doable. I am looking forward to this one.

All the best

Brad

24 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

Thanks to Floyd, Ray and KH for giving us the ultimate Huey in 1/48 scale. 

It's a little too early to declare this kit "ultimate". Just as it is too early too say it is "bad". Let's wait for someone knowledgeable to check the plastic before we post such general statements. Let's discuss specific issues we see, but it's too early for judging the overall kit quality.

6 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Thanks to Floyd, Ray and KH for giving us the ultimate Huey in 1/48 scale. As far as rivets go, you can always fill them, and replace with some raised ones from Archer. It's doable. I am looking forward to this one.

All the best

Brad

Lol, yeah that's no big deal.  Short money for the decals and will only take a few minutes of time.   As far as being the ultimate Huey in 48th, it probably is.  It appears dimensionally accurate, has some nice interior detail, plus that bar is set pretty low.  

Hoping KH takes all the comments to heart and makes the necessary changes.  As noted on another forum, they can do some really nice work, their Su-17 has incredible (and accurate) surface detail. No reason they can't do the same with this kit.  

just a note to all

I have seen some forums and sites giving credit to "Detail & Scale" for this kit.

fact is only Floyd, Ray, and the rest of his great crew, worked with Kitty Hawk on this project.

thanx Glen

10 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

They got it correct and scale on the Venom.  Just saying

Floyd

I was referring to aftermarket outfits.   No point in releasing an aftermarket late version upgrade unless these parts are included.   Just curious how it would be done.    

Does the Venom have the same rivets or are they raised?  The fact of the matter is that it is probably to late to chance the tooling with the rivets.  My only problem with the is that it might hurt sales and make KH not want to do others.  I am not skilled enough to venture into filling and adding rivets and it really is not a big deal to me.  I think this is the kit I need to start building again.  I literally stopped building completely after trying to built the Italeri kit.  It got me so frustrated that I pretty much gave up the hobby.  

2 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Does the Venom have the same rivets or are they raised?  The fact of the matter is that it is probably to late to chance the tooling with the rivets.  My only problem with the is that it might hurt sales and make KH not want to do others.  I am not skilled enough to venture into filling and adding rivets and it really is not a big deal to me.  I think this is the kit I need to start building again.  I literally stopped building completely after trying to built the Italeri kit.  It got me so frustrated that I pretty much gave up the hobby.  

Well anyone can add Archer rivets.

I will agree that while easy to add, not many folks can afford to do a whole bird in them or at least many birds with raised rivets. Hence the divets become the next best choice. Now the size can a different discussion. I will wait to see Floyd's review and I am sure build with paint.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, salvador001 said:

This is what i meant about the center windshield frame corners.

Rod.

j2k52_zpsz0ew54ay.png

Hi Rod and All...

I confused with this details...far I concerned the ex-VNAF Huey at VN museum doesn't have the center frame corners on both side of the windshield?!!

I mean VNAF birds may be was an early version? then.. the US ARMY flying the same one in VN war, that's my point!, any one clarify this issue? 

windscreen%20VN%20museum.jpg

Hi, the angle corner of the frame was made to install the OAT gauge. That VNAF Huey seems it didnt had any OAT sensor.

All Hueys ive seen have the OAT gauge, first time i see a bird without it.

Rod.

37 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Hi, the angle corner of the frame was made to install the OAT gauge. That VNAF Huey seems it didnt had any OAT sensor.

All Hueys ive seen have the OAT gauge, first time i see a bird without it.

Rod.

Good catch.  That's going to be a pain to remove.  Need to sand off the corner frame and re polish, without loosing the detail on the center.    Hopefully this gets addressed by KH prior to release.   

1 hour ago, let_models said:

Hi Rod and All...

I confused with this details...far I concerned the ex-VNAF Huey at VN museum doesn't have the center frame corners on both side of the windshield?!!

I mean VNAF birds may be was an early version? then.. the US ARMY flying the same one in VN war, that's my point!, any one clarify this issue? 

windscreen%20VN%20museum.jpg

Maybe Ray or others can shed some more light on the subject. I would be careful using museum bird for research. It could be correct or could be they fabricated something to replace a missing windshield for display purposes.

Then there is an issue on how much detail, seems there would need to be another level and more solid sheet metal outside just the center ridge and rivets.

j2k52_zpsz0ew54ay.png

Edited by Tank
3 hours ago, Tank said:

Maybe Ray or others can shed some more light on the subject. I would be careful using museum bird for research. It could be correct or could be they fabricated something to replace a missing windshield for display purposes.

Then there is an issue on how much detail, seems there would need to be another level and more solid sheet metal outside just the center ridge and rivets.

j2k52_zpsz0ew54ay.png

Hi all...

attached another B/W picture from the link of a Vnmese models web site.., it shown clearly the top section corners windshield frame.

I think I may have another picture of US bird some where, I'll post in here if I found it.

da nang 1975.jpg.

Edited by let_models

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned any of the positive things going for this first sight build and they are there for anyone to see:

• the amazing tooling of tail rotor housing
  • the detailed tail rotor hub
  • the great level of detail present on the stabilizer bar (Usually you have to by PE to get that!)
  • the correct outboard recess and shape of sync elevators
  • the inclusion of the many missing components on a typical scale rotor head
  • much better drag braces than those on other kits
  • the beautiful shape and distinctive bow to those rotor blades at the right length
  • Rotor blade tie down points on the ends of the rotors!
  • B pillars!!! you don't have to craft or buy aftermarket
  • cockpit details like the fire extinguisher
  • Nicely done soundproofing
  • What looks to be a great fit of the parts
  • the correct rake of those skids giving it the right stance
  • NO compartment door on the tail boom you have to fill in!!
  • a superb profile and that beautiful nose
  • Separate skid steps just like on the real ones

Far better than anything out there right now IMHO. AND we haven't even discussed the decal options. Cant wait for the real review

UH12.jpg

Military salute to Floyd and Ray for their continuous input to KH.

34 minutes ago, snake36bravo said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned any of the positive things going for this first sight build and they are there for anyone to see:

• the amazing tooling of tail rotor housing
  • the detailed tail rotor hub
  • the great level of detail present on the stabilizer bar (Usually you have to by PE to get that!)
  • the correct outboard recess and shape of sync elevators
  • the inclusion of the many missing components on a typical scale rotor head
  • much better drag braces than those on other kits
  • the beautiful shape and distinctive bow to those rotor blades at the right length
  • Rotor blade tie down points on the ends of the rotors!
  • B pillars!!! you don't have to craft or buy aftermarket
  • cockpit details like the fire extinguisher
  • Nicely done soundproofing
  • What looks to be a great fit of the parts
  • the correct rake of those skids giving it the right stance
  • NO compartment door on the tail boom you have to fill in!!
  • a superb profile and that beautiful nose
  • Separate skid steps just like on the real ones

Far better than anything out there right now IMHO. AND we haven't even discussed the decal options. Cant wait for the real review

UH12.jpg

Military salute to Floyd and Ray for their continuous input to KH.

LIKE!

Brad