1 hour ago, snake36bravo said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned any of the positive things going for this first sight build and they are there for anyone to see:

• the amazing tooling of tail rotor housing
  • the detailed tail rotor hub
  • the great level of detail present on the stabilizer bar (Usually you have to by PE to get that!)
  • the correct outboard recess and shape of sync elevators
  • the inclusion of the many missing components on a typical scale rotor head
  • much better drag braces than those on other kits
  • the beautiful shape and distinctive bow to those rotor blades at the right length
  • Rotor blade tie down points on the ends of the rotors!
  • B pillars!!! you don't have to craft or buy aftermarket
  • cockpit details like the fire extinguisher
  • Nicely done soundproofing
  • What looks to be a great fit of the parts
  • the correct rake of those skids giving it the right stance
  • NO compartment door on the tail boom you have to fill in!!
  • a superb profile and that beautiful nose
  • Separate skid steps just like on the real ones

Far better than anything out there right now IMHO. AND we haven't even discussed the decal options. Cant wait for the real review

Military salute to Floyd and Ray for their continuous input to KH.

Thanks, Lloyd, for noticing some of the things we git right!  In particular, I am proud of the grab handles which have never appeared in any scale.  The M23 system, which by definition are the best in any 1/48 Huey kit since NO other 1/48 Huey kits have them.  Notice the doors are separate pieces.  The Italeri kit and even the 1/35 Dragon/Panda kit have the doors molded to the fuselage.  the nose profile and windscreen angle is correct, unlike the Italeri kit.  Check out those armored seats.  Unless you have a stash of Cobra Company seats laying around, you are out of luck using any 1/48 Huey kit currently available.  This is the first time an accurate armored seat has appeared  in 1/48 scale plastic.  The separate nose compartment is also a first in any scale.  Also, I am really happy to see a nose that doesn't have a dang seam down the middle.  I will put the detail of the rotorhead up against anything on the market in any scale.  Even if some of the linkages are a bit short, a bit of styrene rod and you are good to go.  Even with just this test shot build, I can say without hesitation that this kit WILL be the finest, most accurate UH-1D/H currently available in ANY scale, regardless of the issues we have noted.

Ray

Ray

Edited by rotorwash
8 hours ago, let_models said:

Hi Rod and All...

I confused with this details...far I concerned the ex-VNAF Huey at VN museum doesn't have the center frame corners on both side of the windshield?!!

I mean VNAF birds may be was an early version? then.. the US ARMY flying the same one in VN war, that's my point!, any one clarify this issue? 

windscreen%20VN%20museum.jpg

I have NO IDEA what is going on with these VNAF Hueys but even the YUH-1Ds had the OAT gauge as you can see here.  

Ray

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by rotorwash
6 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

I have NO IDEA what is going on with these VNAF Hueys but even the YUH-1Ds had the OAT gauge as you can see here.  

Ray

Maybe the need for the OAT gauge in VN was deleted.  It would have only had two readings anyway..... HOT & DAMN HOT. :rolleyes:

My personal view only but recessed rivets are perfectly acceptable in this scale and will do nothing to diminish the finished model.  I think KH got this right and will suit the majority of builders techniques.  As others have pointed out there are some clever aspects of this kit.  Looking forward to seeing the full sprues and options in the box.

Kudos to KH for trying to get this right by us.

1 minute ago, AndrewPerren said:

Maybe the need for the OAT gauge in VN was deleted.  It would have only had two readings anyway..... HOT & DAMN HOT. :rolleyes:

My personal view only but recessed rivets are perfectly acceptable in this scale and will do nothing to diminish the finished model.  I think KH got this right and will suit the majority of builders techniques.  As others have pointed out there are some clever aspects of this kit.  Looking forward to seeing the full sprues and options in the box.

Kudos to KH for trying to get this right by us.

I don't know Andrew, but this is a former VNAF UH-1H currently flown the VPAF and she has the OAT gauge.  Photo by Philippe Schaub.

Ray

Image may contain: 2 people

Aside from and inclusive of the issues raised, it still looks like an awesome kit. Accurate and detailed. Can't wait to see what's in the box and some more pics.

Good job guys,

Chris.

I'm sorry to be the wet rag here, but based on Floyd's responses, it sounds like Kitty Hawk received a lot of detailed input and seems to have ignored a bit of it. Further, it sounds like there was a minimum of communication between those providing the information and KH:

"The M-60 Brass Catcher is too small.  We told them that but there maybe another option in the box.  We'll wait on the plastic.  We also had the field mod M23 system with the 20mm ammo box and the C Ration can assist.  That was drawn but I'm not sure if it actually made the box.  We'll have to wait and see."  

"The pictures don't show any seatbelts or shoulder harnesses on the front or back seats.  We told them to include them and there were PE ones in one of the last CAD drawings so I think we'll have them in the kit.  Hopefully."

"The PE boxes on the pilot's door will just not need to be installed. We told them to leave them off."

"The dampners on the Main Rotor system we'll just have to wait and see."

"Not sure what is meant by ...  We'll probably have to live with it."

" They were given the information but not sure if it made it into plastic."

"Ray and I said we didn't want to have holes in the nose.  They chose to do it this way."

"There is a dot on the tailboom that we didn't want."

"We have yet to see the instrument panel since the early CAD.  Hopefully they got it right.  We provided the information for a Vietnam Huey so we'll see."

Floyd can feel free to correct me, but based on his own responses he hasn't heard much of anything from KH. I find it just incredible that even when provided with a boatload of information and feedback it seems like much of it it just ignored. This is just like the "Detail and Scale" affiliation on some of the kits - the implication is that KH takes advantage of working with good sources to make a better kit. I've not seen it for the most part. I really am hoping for a good UH-1 kit, but based on that test shot build I'm not very confident.

John

4 minutes ago, jgrease said:

"The M-60 Brass Catcher is too small.  We told them that but there maybe another option in the box.  We'll wait on the plastic.  We also had the field mod M23 system with the 20mm ammo box and the C Ration can assist.  That was drawn but I'm not sure if it actually made the box.  We'll have to wait and see."  

"The pictures don't show any seatbelts or shoulder harnesses on the front or back seats.  We told them to include them and there were PE ones in one of the last CAD drawings so I think we'll have them in the kit.  Hopefully."

"The PE boxes on the pilot's door will just not need to be installed. We told them to leave them off."

"The dampners on the Main Rotor system we'll just have to wait and see."

"Not sure what is meant by ...  We'll probably have to live with it."

" They were given the information but not sure if it made it into plastic."

"Ray and I said we didn't want to have holes in the nose.  They chose to do it this way."

"There is a dot on the tailboom that we didn't want."

"We have yet to see the instrument panel since the early CAD.  Hopefully they got it right.  We provided the information for a Vietnam Huey so we'll see."

Floyd can feel free to correct me, but based on his own responses he hasn't heard much of anything from KH. I find it just incredible that even when provided with a boatload of information and feedback it seems like much of it it just ignored. This is just like the "Detail and Scale" affiliation on some of the kits - the implication is that KH takes advantage of working with good sources to make a better kit. I've not seen it for the most part. I really am hoping for a good UH-1 kit, but based on that test shot build I'm not very confident.

John

John,

You are incorrect on your interpretation of what was said.  What was intended was let's wait until we see what is in the box.  The PE for the seatbelts may not have been available.  Same with the Armament.  Kitty Hawk does listen to what we have to say, however, they have a broader market to think about.  Ray and I concentrated on US ARMY Vietnam era Hueys and made our suggestions based off of that.  KH was including other countries in their planning so there were things done for them that we saw on the drawings and said to change.  Obviously they wouldn't change them because they needed them for those versions. 

Also Ray and I like the way they didn't put holes in the nose.  If you can't fill a seam then it probably wouldn't matter to you that there are little circles on the nose.  This was what we asked for.  No holes in the nose.  The dot on the tailboom goes back to multiple countries.  It is easily removed.  It is called a sanding stick.  No detail is lost.  I don't find that objectionable. 

Please remember we have to speak in terms that non-helicopter guys understand.  They don't know the difference between a PC link and a collective.  They are CAD guys and you have to show them things in a simple matter. Then there is the language barrier. They have not ignored us.  Never have.   

Also Detail & Scale, Bert Kinzey, has nothing to do with helicopters.  If you have issues with the model, when we see it, that is all on me.  I take full responsibility for what is wrong and what is right about the kit. 

And I disagree completely and utterly with you on the kit, even based off of this pre-production example, this kit is far and away better than ANY UH-1 in ANY scale.  Period.  If you don't like it I say vote with your pocket book and don't buy it.  That is the way you show a company that you don't like a project. 

If you'd like to discuss this offline email me at fwernerjr@comcast.net

Floyd

My personal opinion is that

I L O V E T H I S  H U E Y  :-)

Since I spent about 4 month trying to make a huey look a bit cooler kit bash an ESCI and Italeri 1/48

I think with this one we will have a lot of fun! cant wait to put together one!

Errors can be fix, like we all do with the bad hueys on the market and believe me is fun!

Thanks, Ray, Floyd and  Mr Kitty Hawk

15 hours ago, snake36bravo said:

I'm really surprised no one has mentioned any of the positive things going for this first sight build and they are there for anyone to see:

• the amazing tooling of tail rotor housing
  • the detailed tail rotor hub
  • the great level of detail present on the stabilizer bar (Usually you have to by PE to get that!)
  • the correct outboard recess and shape of sync elevators
  • the inclusion of the many missing components on a typical scale rotor head
  • much better drag braces than those on other kits
  • the beautiful shape and distinctive bow to those rotor blades at the right length
  • Rotor blade tie down points on the ends of the rotors!
  • B pillars!!! you don't have to craft or buy aftermarket
  • cockpit details like the fire extinguisher
  • Nicely done soundproofing
  • What looks to be a great fit of the parts
  • the correct rake of those skids giving it the right stance
  • NO compartment door on the tail boom you have to fill in!!
  • a superb profile and that beautiful nose
  • Separate skid steps just like on the real ones

Far better than anything out there right now IMHO. AND we haven't even discussed the decal options. Cant wait for the real review

UH12.jpg

Military salute to Floyd and Ray for their continuous input to KH.

Agree 250% with this post!

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

John,

You are incorrect on your interpretation of what was said.  What was intended was let's wait until we see what is in the box.  The PE for the seatbelts may not have been available.  Same with the Armament.  Kitty Hawk does listen to what we have to say, however, they have a broader market to think about.  Ray and I concentrated on US ARMY Vietnam era Hueys and made our suggestions based off of that.  KH was including other countries in their planning so there were things done for them that we saw on the drawings and said to change.  Obviously they wouldn't change them because they needed them for those versions. 

Also Ray and I like the way they didn't put holes in the nose.  If you can't fill a seam then it probably wouldn't matter to you that there are little circles on the nose.  This was what we asked for.  No holes in the nose.  The dot on the tailboom goes back to multiple countries.  It is easily removed.  It is called a sanding stick.  No detail is lost.  I don't find that objectionable. 

Please remember we have to speak in terms that non-helicopter guys understand.  They don't know the difference between a PC link and a collective.  They are CAD guys and you have to show them things in a simple matter. Then there is the language barrier. They have not ignored us.  Never have.   

Also Detail & Scale, Bert Kinzey, has nothing to do with helicopters.  If you have issues with the model, when we see it, that is all on me.  I take full responsibility for what is wrong and what is right about the kit. 

And I disagree completely and utterly with you on the kit, even based off of this pre-production example, this kit is far and away better than ANY UH-1 in ANY scale.  Period.  If you don't like it I say vote with your pocket book and don't buy it.  That is the way you show a company that you don't like a project. 

Floyd

+1, oh heck +2!  Only addition is I take responsibility with Floyd.  We are a team.  We love praise but we take the hits together as well!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

The model looks thousand years light better than the italeri one, i will buy it for sure, not one but at least a couple more. 

Thanks again for all of you that have been part of this project.

Cant wait to have it, so WHEN will it be released???

Rod.

Ray and Floyd, I'm hoping that everyone here, including the naysayers, realizes that this is likely the most accurate Huey made thus far.

I understand the desire for it to be perfect.  But, I don't think everyone else understands that there are a 1000 variations of Hueys and they just need to understand that they are getting the

best stock version of the UH-1 that has come out yet in plastic.  I have watched this thread for quite a while and I am beginning to think that people need to sink or swim.  Thanks to you both, Ray and Floyd.  Keep on keeping on.

Looking at the photos of the test-shot build, I have to say it looks pretty good. Yes, there are possibly a few small errors - the main rotor shaft and some shaft details might be a little off and the raised panels representing the kick-steps behind the pilot's door are over-done but these minor errors can still be rectified before the kit goes into production. As Ray says, wait until Floyd gets his hands on a production kit and builds it up for us all to see.

But look at all that is correct with the kit. The way the windscreen and overhead windows are done is very clever and so much more in the kit is also very nicely done. I for one can't wait for the 1/35th scale kit but already it looks like the 1/48th scale kit won't disappoint. 

LD.  

Just now, BrittMac said:

Ray and Floyd, I'm hoping that everyone here, including the naysayers, realizes that this is likely the most accurate Huey made thus far.

I understand the desire for it to be perfect.  But, I don't think everyone else understands that there are a 1000 variations of Hueys and they just need to understand that they are getting the

best stock version of the UH-1 that has come out yet in plastic.  I have watched this thread for quite a while and I am beginning to think that people need to sink or swim.  Thanks to you both, Ray and Floyd.  Keep on keeping on.

Thanks for the support, brother.   Believe me we want perfection so we'll do our best to get as close as we can.

Ray

Sometimes I wonder if this thread should be changed to the Kitty Hawk 1/48 Huey bashing session!  I'm a blackhawk guy and I can truly say this Huey is a sweet looking kit!

EVERY!!! model has it's down points, but if you are a good modeler, the bad details, missing details, too big or too small details becomes a learning session in making something better than it was before you started. Give Floyd and Ray a break, w/o them, there would be no model to not-pick about.

Just my 2 cents worth, now back to regular Huey programming (griping)

Tim

7 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

John,

Floyd

LIKE...Again!

Brad

32 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

I can't wait to see what can be done with this kit.  I'm sure there must be literally hundreds of decal options to think about and a good base for some aftermarket to bling it up a bit.

I'm hoping Eduard for one are all over this.

7 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

I can't wait to see what can be done with this kit.  I'm sure there must be literally hundreds of decal options to think about and a good base for some aftermarket to bling it up a bit.

Werner's Wings is working on two decal sheets.  The first one will have 10 aircraft on it.  The second one will have 12-15.

Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Werner's Wings is working on two decal sheets.  The first one will have 10 aircraft on it.  The second one will have 12-15.

Floyd

Will you make some foreign decals? Id love to see some birds from El Salvador, specially the ones that had noseart.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001