Well fellow ARCer Dave Rosenthal "Huey Crew Chief" appears to be the first of us to have the KH kit in hand.  He has kindly given Floyd and I permission to post the first sprue photos.  So thanks to Dave for taking them.  Here is what we can tell you isn't there based on our first look: No Bottom WSPS, No APR-39 antennas, No IPS, no First aid kits, no 20mm ammo can for M-23s  and no Toilet bowl missing.  So basically most of the ASE gear.  I also didn't see an ammo chute for the M23 system. However, it looks like there are two 50cals I knew nothing about before.  The upper WSP blade is in the kit as are the windshield wiper guards. Also, I see the rest of the rear cabin bench seat is in the kit.  You also get M260 and M261 rocket launchers which will be good for something, but not a Vietnam Huey!  Also, the oil reservoir is on the rotorhead.  It just was cut off on the first build I posted earlier.  I count 261 plastic parts and one fret of PE.  Honestly, this looks like a 1/35 parts breakdown not a 1/48 one!

Ray

18926212_10212916110157310_2112868242_o.jpg?oh=a43145d39bce58b9eabc89b8c61c4011&oe=5935F00D

18926995_10212916110037307_1420286696_o.jpg?oh=a679a01c00bda46127be50c917f6362e&oe=5934AEB0

18901932_10212916109837302_1746877912_o.jpg?oh=37e86e120b18fc029e18f42e9821ce77&oe=5934A723

18902957_10212916119797551_884810242_n.jpg?oh=dcdd28955ed3afde3c4173c799225722&oe=5935EFAB

18836324_10212916108957280_605372763_o.jpg?oh=1e4bacb672c4c1e94aac1e98ee819449&oe=5935CE23

18926390_10212916109237287_1658328391_o.jpg?oh=55695ad72219b9f9dfc93671ab476371&oe=5934B0F9

18926417_10212916108757275_1760744261_o.jpg?oh=9b0a4c714fdad718cfd96adf7a9da287&oe=5935CEAC

Edited by rotorwash

Am I correct in assuming that there were no changes from those first pics that were posted of the built up model?   If so, Ray and Floyd - if you have any pull with KH, please try to get them to make some of the improvements to the exterior that were flagged earlier in this thread.  If they simply scale this kit up to 35th, it's not going to look as nice as she deserves.

All you 48th scale folks, hurry and purchase lots of these.   Hopefully that will light a fire under KH to release a larger scale version!

5 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Am I correct in assuming that there were no changes from those first pics that were posted of the built up model?   If so, Ray and Floyd - if you have any pull with KH, please try to get them to make some of the improvements to the exterior that were flagged earlier in this thread.  If they simply scale this kit up to 35th, it's not going to look as nice as she deserves.

All you 48th scale folks, hurry and purchase lots of these.   Hopefully that will light a fire under KH to release a larger scale version!

Having crewed Hs and Vs for hundreds of hours, I cant really see any huge issues. It really is laid out well.  The issues that were previously mentioned are real hard to identify just looking at the kit.  

1 hour ago, salvador001 said:

Awesome!!! Way to go Dave! Looking forward for your build.

Ray, no, its not mine, i just found it on the internet. 

I ordered mine today!

Rod.

Rod when you can please can you provide me with the link from where you order your kit? and how much

3 hours ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Having crewed Hs and Vs for hundreds of hours, I cant really see any huge issues. It really is laid out well.  The issues that were previously mentioned are real hard to identify just looking at the kit.  

I respectfully disagree.   Aside from the miss on the rivets (and in 2017, there is no excuse for not being able to replicate raised rivets in 48th scale), you've got a decent amount of sanding and rescribing ahead of you to address those raised plates on the aft fuselage.  Will also need to sand and rescribe those foot wells on the B column.  Lastly, that horizontal hinge line on the aft engine cowling (which I don't think is even present on the real thing) is completely wrong.  That's going to take some careful sanding to remove, since it's in close proximity to the vertical cooling vents

Compare this:

Image may contain: outdoor

To this:

uh-1d_05_of_39.jpg

It's all good as long as these things are corrected on the 35th version.  Before anyone gets stressed, yes - this kit is still the best 48th scale Huey out there.  By far.   My only point is that the kit does have some flaws and some modelers (not all) will feel the need to address these problems.   Just my $0.02. 

1 minute ago, 11bee said:

I respectfully disagree.   Aside from the miss on the rivets (and in 2017, there is no excuse for not being able to replicate raised rivets in 48th scale), you've got a decent amount of sanding and rescribing ahead of you to address those raised plates on the aft fuselage.  Will also need to sand and rescribe those foot wells on the B column.  Lastly, that horizontal hinge line on the aft engine cowling (which I don't think is even present on the real thing) is completely wrong.  That's going to take some careful sanding to remove, since it's in close proximity to the vertical cooling vents

Compare this:

To this:

uh-1d_05_of_39.jpg

It's all good as long as these things are corrected on the 35th version.  Before anyone gets stressed, yes - this kit is still the best 48th scale Huey out there.  By far.   My only point is that the kit does have some flaws and some modelers (not all) will feel the need to address these problems.   Just my $0.02. 

If you look close at the pics Dave sent me of the sprues, you will notice that the fuselage details aren't nearly as pronounced as the look in the build photo.  The build was photographed with harsh directional light that accented the panels.  Yes, it isn't perfect, but trust me, it's not as bad as I first thought.

Ray

3 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Compare this:

To this:

uh-1d_05_of_39.jpg

I "feel ya".  My point is that it is not that omnipresent when you actually have it in front of you.  Honestly, I worked on them for years and did not notice most of the issues with the kit.  

3 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

If you look close at the pics Dave sent me of the sprues, you will notice that the fuselage details aren't nearly as pronounced as the look in the build photo.  The build was photographed with harsh directional light that accented the panels.  Yes, it isn't perfect, but trust me, it's not as bad as I first thought.

Ray

That was what I was trying to say.  You just dont see most of it when it is in hand.  

9 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I respectfully disagree.   Aside from the miss on the rivets (and in 2017, there is no excuse for not being able to replicate raised rivets in 48th scale), you've got a decent amount of sanding and rescribing ahead of you to address those raised plates on the aft fuselage.  Will also need to sand and rescribe those foot wells on the B column.  Lastly, that horizontal hinge line on the aft engine cowling (which I don't think is even present on the real thing) is completely wrong.  That's going to take some careful sanding to remove, since it's in close proximity to the vertical cooling vents.

How is it wrong?  It looks just like the real deal to me. I think what you are speaking of is a panel line and not a "hinge line"

UH-1D 64-13895 fuselage (10).jpg

Regarding the whole rivet issue, let's not forget what the rivets on the 1/48 Italeri D/H scaled up to in 1/35.  Below is the Panda/Dragon tailboom compared to the ACCURATE rivets in 1/35 scale on the MRC UH-1C kit.  If you made raised rivets ACCURATE in 1/48 scale, you would need a magnifying glass to see them!

Ray

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And yet no one mentioned that the rear seatbelts, tow attachment point or tie down rings are included.  Nothing about the fabric effect on the rear seats.  Finally a correct rotor system, not a 212 system.  The main rotor blades themselves have the correct shape, droop, trim tab and blade tiedowns.  Nobody has done that before in ANY scale.  Both smooth and bulged side windows.  The multiple armament options for the door guns, M-60s, German armament (can't remember the designation), and miniguns.  Nothing about the rocket pods for the Aussies and El Salvadorian versions.  Nothing about the correct tail rotor.  Nothing about the hell hole detail.  Nothing about the engine, first time that has been available in any scale.  Nothing about the two types of engine inlets, vertical and horizontal. 

F them rivets.  Have you seen the 1/48th scale UH-1Y or the AH-1Z?  No one had a problem with those recessed rivets and under a coat of paint they are very convincing.  You can't really see rivets, including raised ones, in 1/48th scale.  Did anyone raise a question on the Italeri with its 1/35th scale sized bolt head rivets or the ESCI kit without any rivets?  Just my .02 cents worth.  I'm really excited about this. 

I've chatted with KH and we may, stress may, make a small additional sprue that may include the few things that we've found on the kit.  Things that should have been caught on the pre-production models.  No promises.  If not, I will address them myself, but I'd rather have KH do it.  I'm not going to go into those here and now.  We have a list going to add to the sprue should they decide to do it.  None of them impact a Vietnam era Huey, at least an early and mid war Huey.  Later versions yes but not the most common ones.   

Enjoy the model for what it is, a Vietnam era Huey out of the box, finally.  I doubt we'll see another one in our lifetime in this scale.  Surprising it took this long to get a good one.  Of course anything we find as a flaw will be addressed in the 1/35th scale version.  Then hopefully we'll do raised rivets but even if we didn't we'd be better off than the Panda kit.  Hell at least we don't have to fill any cargo compartment. 

Quit being negative and find the great many positives of this kit.  I'm going to let you in on a secret, there are no perfect kits.  We try to make them that way though.  It is our goal.  It is my personal goal. 

My rant is over.  I'm happy with it.  Have a nice day.  Remember: Modeling is fun!  Not having fun, don't do it. 

Floyd

6 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

And yet no one mentioned that the rear seatbelts, tow attachment point or tie down rings are included.  Nothing about the fabric effect on the rear seats.  Finally a correct rotor system, not a 212 system.  The main rotor blades themselves have the correct shape, droop, trim tab and blade tiedowns.  Nobody has done that before in ANY scale.  Both smooth and bulged side windows.  The multiple armament options for the door guns, M-60s, German armament (can't remember the designation), and miniguns.  Nothing about the rocket pods for the Aussies and El Salvadorian versions.  Nothing about the correct tail rotor.  Nothing about the hell hole detail.  Nothing about the engine, first time that has been available in any scale.  Nothing about the two types of engine inlets, vertical and horizontal. 

F them rivets.  Have you seen the 1/48th scale UH-1Y or the AH-1Z?  No one had a problem with those recessed rivets and under a coat of paint they are very convincing.  You can't really see rivets, including raised ones, in 1/48th scale.  Did anyone raise a question on the Italeri with its 1/35th scale sized bolt head rivets or the ESCI kit without any rivets?  Just my .02 cents worth.  I'm really excited about this. 

I've chatted with KH and we may, stress may, make a small additional sprue that may include the few things that we've found on the kit.  Things that should have been caught on the pre-production models.  No promises.  If not, I will address them myself, but I'd rather have KH do it.  I'm not going to go into those here and now.  We have a list going to add to the sprue should they decide to do it.  None of them impact a Vietnam era Huey, at least an early and mid war Huey.  Later versions yes but not the most common ones.   

Enjoy the model for what it is, a Vietnam era Huey out of the box, finally.  I doubt we'll see another one in our lifetime in this scale.  Surprising it took this long to get a good one.  Of course anything we find as a flaw will be addressed in the 1/35th scale version.  Then hopefully we'll do raised rivets but even if we didn't we'd be better off than the Panda kit.  Hell at least we don't have to fill any cargo compartment. 

Quit being negative and find the great many positives of this kit.  I'm going to let you in on a secret, there are no perfect kits.  We try to make them that way though.  It is our goal.  It is my personal goal. 

My rant is over.  I'm happy with it.  Have a nice day.  Remember: Modeling is fun!  Not having fun, don't do it. 

Floyd

I got the thing in hand and I love it.  Of course me being me, I am going to wait to see what comes out in the way of the modern UH1H/V, because they are my babies, but the guys wanting to build the Vietnam stuff should be good to go.  

21 hours ago, rotorwash said:

I'm not surprised you missed them, John.  They are rather hard to see form the ground.  When Floyd and I told you guys we gave them everything, we meant it!

Ray

UH-1H%2066-01204%20roof%201_zps080xa2hr.

Are these on a Vietnam era Huey?

Floyd,

Based on your post, does that mean the other options (German, JASDF and Taiwan) in the box cannot be built OOB and still be correct? At some point there would need to be breakdown of what is needed for each version as it appears the parts are only marked optional and not which scheme it is used for. 

Didn't know now about the other parts mentioned. Course I am not an expert on them. With the Roo and other weapons is another boxing w/matching decals planned? 

Overall it looks good. I like how the overhead glass is handled. Don't know about the fit but I would recommend the doors be handled in the same fashion. Maybe just cut out for the bubble window instead of additional doors. Ideas for a short body kit.