Thanks for the info on the ammo can Ray.

As for the bushranger parts - looks like a fair bit of scratch building ahead.  Our rocket pods had separate tubes, which I'll probably make from brass.  Can't remember if I saved the gunship parts from the old Esci kit but they might come in handy as well.  Looks like the twin mount M-60's used the larger 20mm cans and loose belts.

raaf-bushranger_zps4xpn97uh.jpg

Bushranger371_zpsgoblmr8n.jpg

MINIGUNDETAIL_zpsxmc5suu4.jpg

P02975_032_zpscnxalfbc.jpg

Edited by AndrewPerren

Yep, Andrew, there are a lot of bits you would need.  The twin M60A setup would also need to be sourced.  You don't have a pic of it, but the Aussies also developed two very large custom built ammo cans with a pyramid top that could be used to quickly rearm the birds.  I with there was a good source for the M158 pods, but as far as i know there is not.  I think Fireball used to sell them in 1/48 though.

Ray

37 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Yep, Andrew, there are a lot of bits you would need.  The twin M60A setup would also need to be sourced.  You don't have a pic of it, but the Aussies also developed two very large custom built ammo cans with a pyramid top that could be used to quickly rearm the birds.  I with there was a good source for the M158 pods, but as far as i know there is not.  I think Fireball used to sell them in 1/48 though.

Ray

I didn't think the pyramid ammo cans came in until after Vietnam but I'm happy to be wrong on that one.  I'll have to find some M-60's in 1/48 with butt stocks not handles.

scan0016_zpshyn3yhea.jpg

They also changed the feed chute to go through the jump doors - I assume less bends means less jams.

scan0019_zpsidswiitt.jpg

scan0018_zpssc8efi9e.jpg

10 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

I didn't think the pyramid ammo cans came in until after Vietnam but I'm happy to be wrong on that one.  I'll have to find some M-60's in 1/48 with butt stocks not handles.

scan0016_zpshyn3yhea.jpg

They also changed the feed chute to go through the jump doors - I assume less bends means less jams.

scan0019_zpsidswiitt.jpg

scan0018_zpssc8efi9e.jpg

I read about the pyramid ammo bins on a website called "Birth of the Bushranger" which I can't seem to find now.  95% sure it was a Vietnam mod.

Ray

1 minute ago, RGS said:

Thanks!  Here's the relevant paragraph on the ammo bins, Andrew.

"In mid 1971, the resident Armament Officer developed the Payne Hopper Bin. This large bin was constructed by modifying two existing US ammunition storage bins and was about 30 cubic inches, with a pyramid top section. Using the spare build up kit, a gunship was built with the new hopper bins, one feeding each gun. This meant that spare ammunition bins could be pre-loaded with 4500 rounds each at the forward arming pad at Nui Dat while the gunship was flying. On arrival, the gunship's empty ammunition bins would be removed and full ones installed and connected."

Well guys, the Huey is finally released, a beautiful and great rendition of the real aircraft, anxious to build one, but we all might want to build different versions of the Huey, so there will be some aftermarkets requirements to make this happen, i think we all might need this:

- A new and complete set of the Aircraft Survavility Equipment ASE (toilet bowl, APR-39s, heat shields, IPS, oil cooler shield, etc) and why not some AN/ALQ-144 jammers.

- A new and complete modern medevac interior (including hoist, litters, oxygen bottles, etc)

- A nice decal sheet with both U.S. Army vietnam and modern examples, plus a nice foreign decal sheet

- Some different types of weapon configurations

- A complete set of resin figures (pilots, crew chiefs, medics, gunners, etc) and individual equipment (helmets, bags, etc)

Hope to see at least some of this in the near future.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
3 minutes ago, Loach Driver said:

I have never built a 1/48th scale helo in my life. Some would say I build damn all, regardless of scale!:touche: Maybe this will be a good kit to start with. I've ordered one! 

LD.

You will have fun! you'll see :cheers:

8 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Well guys, the Huey is finally released, a beautiful and great rendition of the real aircraft, anxious to build one, but we all might want to build different versions of the Huey, so there will be some aftermarkets requirements to make this happen, i think we all might need this:

- A new and complete set of the Aircraft Survavility Equipment ASE (toilet bowl, APR-39s, heat shields, IPS, oil cooler shield, etc) and why not some AN/ALQ-144 jammers.

- A new and complete modern medevac interior (including hoist, litters, oxygen bottles, etc)

- A nice decal sheet with both U.S. Army vietnam and modern examples, plus a nice foreign decal sheet

- Some different types of weapon configurations

- A complete set of resin figures (pilots, crew chiefs, medics, gunners, etc) and individual equipment (helmets, bags, etc)

Hope to see at least some of this in the near future.

Rod.

My friend since you ordered once  you have it in your hands what will you do with it? aun estas indeciso?

1 hour ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

My friend since you ordered once  you have it in your hands what will you do with it? aun estas indeciso?

Hmm well, i think i will build a vietnam version out of the box, i just want to test the fitting and the general shape of the model, but who knows, maybe i make a FAS one or something else. La emocion realmente te ataca jajaja. 

Ya comprastes el tuyo?

Rod.

20 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Hmm well, i think i will build a vietnam version out of the box, i just want to test the fitting and the general shape of the model, but who knows, maybe i make a FAS one or something else. La emocion realmente te ataca jajaja. 

Ya comprastes el tuyo?

Rod.

No aún no he podido amigo. Espero pronto poder comprarlo 

yo en cuanto lo tenga estoy indeciso si en un un Vietnam or a modern V 

On 5/28/2017 at 7:18 PM, 11bee said:

the M60, the brass catcher and ammo box look off

I think I just figured out why this looks off.  In the pictures of the build by KH, the pintle (sp?) is behind the ammo box and the ammo box looks like it is mounted at an angle away from the aircraft.  In reality, the pintle is outside the ammo box.  Ironically, the instructions someone linked to show it correctly.  Me thinks the builder may have either not followed the instructions, or not had the instructions to follow and probably does not know the aircraft as well as some of us on here.  This leads me to believe that some of the problems pointed out may just be a poor build of the supplied kit.  We will see.  

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

What are the two boxes that go on the cabin floor next to the B pillars (part C33 plus some PE bits)?  Don't recall seeing these on the real thing.  

Floyd and I are pretty sure those were supposed to be the wooden grenade boxes.  I can't say for sure till I see it in person though.  We never got to see the instructions or marking drawings prior to the release of the kit.

Ray

6 hours ago, 11bee said:

What are the two boxes that go on the cabin floor next to the B pillars (part C33 plus some PE bits)?  Don't recall seeing these on the real thing.  

They are boxes holding grenades.  You can use them or not.  So you even get some storage items.  There are six smoke grenades to go in the two boxes. The PE parts are the latches for the box. 

I will be starting an online build on the Werner's Wings Facebook page tomorrow, 7 June.  If you follow Facebook make sure you like the Werner's Wings page.

Floyd

22 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

They are boxes holding grenades.  You can use them or not.  So you even get some storage items.  There are six smoke grenades to go in the two boxes. The PE parts are the latches for the box. 

I will be starting an online build on the Werner's Wings Facebook page tomorrow, 7 June.  If you follow Facebook make sure you like the Werner's Wings page.

Floyd

makes us all the modern era Huey fans happy with a new toilet bowl set :)

huey22_zpsmlyhqrgk.jpg

This shot from the El Salvador pic set shows a Huey with what looks to be raised foot well panels? Very similar to the KittyHawk test shots.

Edited by UH-1Mad

The first painted KH Huey from the Kitty hawk Facebook page.  Those greenhouse windows are about as perfect as we could hope for!  I also like the windshield wipers and belly light.  The hand holds on the B pillar and roof also look really nice. The stops for the windshield wipers are a first and really look fantastic!   Also, while they aren't on this build, the door stops are also included for the main cabin doors.  The stinger has the right angulation OOB unlike virtually every other Huey kit which has it at way to steep an angle.  Finally, the nose and windshield angle are perfect!

Just because I realize everyone will be pointing out inaccuracies in the paint job, keep in mind Floyd and I were not consulted on the paint scheme and this is the first time we have seen the finished aircraft.  However, in order to head some of that off at the pass here is what i see with a 10 minute inspection.  Biggest boo boo is that the blade root is painted gray.  That is a common mistake with Huey models.  Also, blade top is black and almost certainly was actually OD.  Brass bag should also be light OD.  The roof walk area should probably be black and the antenna in the center should definitely be black and not white.  There should be no whip antenna on this bird.  The armor on the pilot seats should be OD with black edges just like the rest of the seat. There is too much of the position light on the cabin roof painted. Only the front of the piece has the bulb in it.  The rotor mast and components should not all be the uniform gray of the blade grips and the boot at the bottom of the mast should be red not black.  The markings on the sync elevators should be underneath I believe.  They certainly were on Cav birds.  Only the top of the elevator is painted red/orange as painting the bottom makes them rather inviting targets!  Also, for some reason the forward support of the left M23 mount is not attached.  I'm sure I missed something but most of these are just painting errors so not a problem with the kit itself.  I think folks have pointed out most of the other issues already.  Still look at this first build and tell me with a straight face there is a better Huey kit on the market!

Ray

PS: In my opinion, the recessed rivets really pop with the wash that was applied here.

Image may contain: outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by rotorwash

What we see here is definitly the best long body Huey in the market. The general shape is just impressive. The profile picture really looks like the real deal, the nose shape, windshield and green house looks very accurate. Although there are a lot of things i personally will fix and replace with scratchbuilt parts. 

Some small mistakes i found in the model are:

-Rotor swashplate sits too low

-Rotor damper structure sits too close to the hub

-Rotor stab bar sits too tight to the hub

-Skid steps are a little thick

-There is a hole in the skid lower surface near the step, really dont know what it is.

-Pitot tube too long and thick

-Roof FM antenna too thick (and it doesnt go with vietnam era Hueys)

-Rotating beacon light is wrong in shape, it needs to be cut in half eliminating the pointy thing (looks like a UH-60 strobe light or a modern Huey strobe)

-Main rotor blades bending is extremely excessive.

-Pilot seats armoured side plates are a little small, note that in the real thing the right one is different than the left one.

-Pilot seat seatbelts are a bit ugly. They lack the hip seatbelts that are attached to the floor just back of the seat.

-Fire extinguisher is ultra small.

Cant wait to start the model. Definitly will buy at least 10 of them. I want to see how it builds up.

Thanks.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001