24 minutes ago, Brad-M said:

So I just picked up the Squadron Walk Around book titled "UH-1 Huey Gunships" and there isn't very much at all regarding the UH-1D. Is there a reason? Was the -1D not considered a gunship perhaps?

TIA

Brad

Nah, The Aussies and Vietnamese armed them )D/Hs), but the US did not. Gunships where the short bodied ones like the UH1B/C/M 

4 hours ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Nah, The Aussies and Vietnamese armed them )D/Hs), but the US did not. Gunships where the short bodied ones like the UH1B/C/M 

I think what Dave meant to say were the B and C model Gunships were the MOST AWESOME Hueys and the slicks had the privilege of flying with them! :taunt:

Ray

(Dad was a doorgunner in B and C models so I MAY be a bit biased)

This is, hands down, the best D/H model around. Floyd and Ray have done a remarkable job; thanks. There are a couple more (minor) items that I'll be fixing that I haven't seen mentioned yet (maybe I missed them). They're all very minor and very easy to fix:

The windshield wiper motors and their black foam crash pads are missing from the top of the windshield interior.

The FM whip antenna is missing from the top of the vertical fin.

The pilots outside armor plates are depicted in the deployed position. When the helicopter is on the ground, the outer plates were slid to the rear (no mechanism; just a U channel. The plate was moved by hand).

The synchronized elevators are just that; elevators. They're not solidly attached to the tail boom (no one's gotten this right on any Huey model to date). They're attached to a cross tube in the tail boom which is connected to the cyclic. When the cyclic moves fore or aft, the sync elevators move up and down. Also, they are not at the same angle of incidence. IIRC the right sync elevator has 3 degrees more incidence than the left. 

My problem with the main rotor blades is not droop; it's that they don't have any washout. The blades are twisted approximately 12 degrees from root to tip (the leading edge is lower at the tip). Again, almost all helicopter kits miss this feature.

The tail boom has a round screened vent on the underside. It's depicted on the kit as a solid oval just behind the kink on the bottom side of the tail boom.

Again, this is all really minor stuff and none of it takes away from the kit.

Mig

Mig,

I tried to get the rotors corrected, but apparently it's the in thing to add droop to them on the sprue.  Regarding the blade twist, I have plenty of photos where the blade looks nearly flat.  I know there may be a little twist, but in this photo for instance which I took at bell Ozark, the blades sure look flat to me.  I will try to get some good end on shots next time I get a chance though to see if I can visualize the twist.  In any event, I'm not sure how to capture that in a plastic part.  I think many people world think it looked weird even if it is correct.  I would be happy if they would have just left the blades flat.  I am very happy that they got the coning up of the blade grips correct though.

Ray

DSC_0340%20edited_zpsirddq4yv.jpg

Anyone else spot that the lower nav lights are missing.  There is a small base there on either side below the jump doors with a divit in it but no part anywhere on the sprue.  Add this to the scratchbuild list - no big deal.

Don't think I'll be using the kit decals - mine are badly out of register , particularly the blacks.   The German flag looks like a tetris puzzle and the word Danger on the tail rotor warning is so far out it's not even contained within the red arrow. :angry:   Hopefully my spares box will help me out there.

6 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

Anyone else spot that the lower nav lights are missing.  There is a small base there on either side below the jump doors with a divit in it but no part anywhere on the sprue.  Add this to the scratchbuild list - no big deal.

Don't think I'll be using the kit decals - mine are badly out of register , particularly the blacks.   The German flag looks like a tetris puzzle and the word Danger on the tail rotor warning is so far out it's not even contained within the red arrow. :angry:   Hopefully my spares box will help me out there.

please email Sophia Lynm, tell her what is missing or defective, she will mail it to you.   sophialynm@gmail.com

later Glen

7 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

Just checked my boxing, and the nav lights G15 and G16 are present, and my decals are perfect.

Brad

Ray, if you look at the aft blade in your photo, you can clearly see the twist. At the root, you're almost looking straight across the top of the blade. At the tip, you can see the leading edge turned down. There shouldn't be an issue with the modeling companies adding this detail; they do it with every propeller they mold. My guess is they're unaware of it.

Mig

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, KAGNEW said:

please email Sophia Lynm, tell her what is missing or defective, she will mail it to you.   sophialynm@gmail.com

later Glen

Thanks Glen I'll send an email about the decals -  I'm doing the review build for "The Modelling News" site.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:23 PM, Brad-M said:

Just checked my boxing, and the nav lights G15 and G16 are present, and my decals are perfect.

Brad

Just so we are on the same page.  I have what looks like a full production kit although I have just received it to do a review build so it might be an early shot.  The pic below shows the lover nav light position.  I have scoured the sprues and instructions looking for a pair of pieces that go here but found nothing.  As I said no big deal really as it wont be that hard to make something to go there.

Nav20lights_zpswtbxjauk.jpg

There really is a lot to like about this kit with plenty of potential so I want to do this right.

Edit - I've just received my second kit as well and it is exactly the same.    FYI there is no Sprue G in either of my kits or the instructions.   There are the clear parts referred to as GP in the instructions - parts  GP 15 & GP 16 are landing lights on the belly.  I'm talking about the lower mounts for the port & starboard Nav lights. 

Edited by AndrewPerren
Fixing my parts numbers.
  • 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, beautiful kit!! I already ordered one. Excellent work.

I want to do a German Huey from the 1970/80s. I’ve found this pictures. Does anyone have better pictures of the hoist system, and some information about the cabin layout?

4JyAUlc.jpg

bs6Zcud.jpg

This is the only pic i've seen of a similar hoist, but i don't know if it is the same type.

5vdDbnb.jpg

Thanks!

@diego84

Few things off the top of my head regarding the German Hueys built by Dornier (hoist/interior specific):

• The hoist was changed to a different one which I've only ever seen on German Hueys. I believe it may have been manufactured by AEG and possibly introduced/trialled in 1976 (prototype at least) - not sure on make or date though.
  • They also had custom/modified pilot seats which differ from the standard UH-1H design, again unsure on date of introduction, but visible on pics from the '80s.
  • Also, though not interior related, the nose/chin bubble better resembles that of the 205A-1, rather than UH-1H (check the spacing either side of the nose hatch).

Hoist 1979:

1162028-large.jpg

Pilot seats 1982:

1023029-large.jpg

And a few more recent ones of the pilot seats, hoist and nose (loads of good/better ref. online):

1465566-large.jpg

1006582-large.jpg

uh-1d-simulator-happy-landings.jpg.65301

UH-1D-7941a.jpg

niederstetten20140409_uh1d7363_dennisspr

Have not come across any good shots of the interior from the '70s/'80s yet, unfortunately. Would love to see some.

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks Robert!

The battery door seems to be a bit narrower on the German hueys. But the overall shape should be the same I think.

I haven’t seen good pictures of the interiors from that time.

In this one from 1975 you can see the pilot seat:

6wJoY9D.jpg

Probably I will go with this one:

jYlqfJk.jpg

Kit decals are for this bird. But paint instructions are not accurate.

Edited by diego84
4 minutes ago, diego84 said:

The battery door seems to be a bit narrower on the German hueys. But the overall shape should be the same I think.

I haven’t seen good pictures of the interiors from that time. This is from 1975:

6wJoY9D.jpg

Probably I will go with this one:

jYlqfJk.jpg

Kit decals are for this bird. But paint instructions are not accurate.

Yup, the battery door is an inch or two narrower on the German UH1Ds Vs The US UH-1Hs

Thanks Diego this one will be a RAAF Vietnam slick.

29 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Wow, that pit looks mighty awesome Andrew. Congrats. Please open a WIP thread to see your build.

Rod.

Sorry Rod but I'm only allowed a couple of WIP pics as this is a review build for another site.

11 hours ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Yup, the battery door is an inch or two narrower on the German UH1Ds Vs The US UH-1Hs

Some thoughts concerning the nose construction, not really relevant to the build:

Interesting, I'd not considered that the battery door itself might be narrower. Pretty certain that the chin bubble is also of a different shape; in UH-1H when viewing from the underside, the edge of the bubble nearest the centre line of the a/c (running alongside the hatch) is not a single straight line, but rather kinks inwards (towards the hatch) and then runs upwards parallel to it. In 205A-1 & Dornier UH-1D the shape of the chin bubble appears to be cut as a single straight line in this location, running parallel to the hatch/centre line from the underside bubble corner without a kink. This lack of a kink (combined with a narrower hatch?) creates a space between the hatch and the bubble window, which aside from being visible on the exterior, also forms a 'shelf' either side of the nose compartment on the interior. You can see the shelf effect on the model above to the right of the pedals - this, AFAIK, is not present on UH-1H (couple of real-world photos below to illustrate, plus shows German specific circuit breaker panel to right of pedestal; cyclic grip and magnetic compass also differ from U.S. standard config.).

Dornier UH-1D:

UH-1D-7942a.jpg

Bell UH-1:

UH-1_Nose.jpg

Edited by RGS
  • 2 months later...

Im a bit dissapointed about what Eduard released for this kit, i thought they were going to release a Big Ed set as detailed as their 1/35 UH-1C sets. Too bad they released just a basic set, the Italeri UH-1D set comes more detailed than this one.

Rod.

3 hours ago, salvador001 said:

Im a bit dissapointed about what Eduard released for this kit, i thought they were going to release a Big Ed set as detailed as their 1/35 UH-1C sets. Too bad they released just a basic set, the Italeri UH-1D set comes more detailed than this one.

Rod.

I'm hoping they will release more as time passes. This is what they have so far which looks pretty good;

ed1_zpsfusewqab.jpg

ed3_zpsv6nstt6d.jpg

ed2_zpsy5r1wwia.jpg

ed4_zpsnj2iv0kk.jpg

Not sure what part 3 is on the cargo interior set???

Once we get Floyd's correction set we will be in excellent shape!!

Chris B.

Edited by UH-1Mad
3 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

I'm hoping they will release more as time passes. This is what they have so far which looks pretty good

Not sure what part 3 is on the cargo interior set???

Once we get Floyd's correction set we will be in excellent shape!

I really liked Eduard's PE sets I ordered all four of them, including the masks.  The Werner's Wings correction set is at the scanners then we have to get it printed but it is coming.  I'll post pics of the parts later. 

Floyd