59 minutes ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Gino is correct.  There is a cotter pin that installed to hold the doors back during flight.  The doors are flush with the door gunner or hell hole section of the rear bulkhead, but it does look as though the doors do not extend as far as they should.

Dont know now.  Looks real close to me.  

5 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Have you ever been on an actual Huey?  I have flown in quite a few Army Hueys. I can tell you for sure that the cabin door is flush with the rear bulkhead when locked opened. 

Really Gino?   Tell us all about your extensive time in actual Hueys. I’ve never set foot in one.  Ever.  Sure does sound like a lot of fun though.  

Given that Huey’s were on the way out when I was coming in, sorry if I didn’t have the door alignment committed to memory as you apparently did.  At the time, I really wasn’t that concerned with the issue. You then posting a pic of a damaged example to further your case doesn’t really help either. 

Edited by 11bee
57 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Really Gino?   Tell us all about your extensive time in actual Huey’s. I’ve never set foot in one.  Ever.  Sure does sound like a lot of fun though.  

It was really fun.  I rode in them enough to realize the doors locked back flush when I put the pin in to hold them back. 

Edited by HeavyArty
4 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Have you ever been on an actual Huey?  I have flown in quite a few Army Hueys. I can tell you for sure that the cabin door is flush with the rear bulkhead when locked opened. 

If you are talking about the below picture, look where the lock-back clip is in the center of the door, just above the handle.  The rear bulkhead is damaged here and is pushing the pin forward, not allowing the door to be fully flush.  If that area was not damaged, it would be flush as it is in the prior three pics.

AAHF%20UH-1H%2068-16104%20cabin%20(12).J

I always stepped off the Heuy to the left side of the door gunner's position till I had a very bad experience. He didn't get the door latched, and the M60 hung up on it. The door slide forward as the chopper flared during an insertion. Not much, but maybe six or eight inches. After that I went out the right side of the door gunner with Top pushing me off the skid.

Your post is quite correct! This is why we saw so many Hueys without doors.

gary

2 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

It was really fun.  I rode in them enough to realize the doors locked back flush when I put the pin in to hold them back.  That is all.

Wow, that must have really cool. Don’t hold back on us Gino, I’d love to know what it was like sitting in the back of a Huey all those decades ago.  Share some stories man!   

Do the doors fit closed?  Mine did when I test fitted them.  Are the dimensions correct for the jump door and the sliding door?  They are based off the factory drawings dated originally 9/13/68 and updated 5/19/99.   The sliding door length is from FS.92 to FS166.06 making them 74.06 inches long.   I don't know how to fix it if the kit dimensions if they are the same as the real thing scaled down.  In my opinion there is not a problem, but your opinion may vary.  I can agree to disagree.  

I'm  gonna fall back to Remember: Modeling is fun!  

There are plenty of other issues that we need to address.  Will we fix them all?  I hope so but you never know.  We have the list and we have submitted corrections along with pictures to KH to repair.  We are trying our best.  Your constructive criticism is noted but I wouldn't know what to tell them to fix something that is literally perfectly dimensioned with the factory drawings.  

Floyd

1 hour ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Do the doors fit closed?  Mine did when I test fitted them.  Are the dimensions correct for the jump door and the sliding door?  They are based off the factory drawings dated originally 9/13/68 and updated 5/19/99.   The sliding door length is from FS.92 to FS166.06 making them 74.06 inches long.   I don't know how to fix it if the kit dimensions if they are the same as the real thing scaled down.  In my opinion there is not a problem, but your opinion may vary.  I can agree to disagree.  

I'm  gonna fall back to Remember: Modeling is fun!  

There are plenty of other issues that we need to address.  Will we fix them all?  I hope so but you never know.  We have the list and we have submitted corrections along with pictures to KH to repair.  We are trying our best.  Your constructive criticism is noted but I wouldn't know what to tell them to fix something that is literally perfectly dimensioned with the factory drawings.  

Floyd

I am thinking it is an optical illusion or something.  The photos directly to the side look consistent, but at a slight angle it looks off.  

Edited by huey_crew_chief
Just now, huey_crew_chief said:

I dont think they adjustable at all.  I never messed with them at all, so they could be, but that still does not change the fact that the front of the door is finned in while open. 

Thanks Dave for the info.

2 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

I'm starting to sense some bad attitudes here. We don't need it.

Agree with you..

by the way,, i have been in the back of a Huey, huey II and Huey Plus.. and believe me is the best thing that have ever happens to me :)

I'm in the optical illusion camp with all the curves going on there.  FYI The doors fit perfectly closed (in fact you can use them as masks for the interior when painting).  You can choose to see I problem there if you want, I don't and I won't be fixing it on my next builds.

29 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

I'm in the optical illusion camp with all the curves going on there.  FYI The doors fit perfectly closed (in fact you can use them as masks for the interior when painting).  You can choose to see I problem there if you want, I don't and I won't be fixing it on my next builds.

If the rear of the sliding cargo door, when locking in full aft position, is even with or just slight aft of the engine exhaust, then it's 'good to go'!!  Like others have said, ensure the forward part of door is flush with the Crew Well rear bulkhead.

And BTW, the Aux Cargo door is 18 inches wide.  We called it the 18 inch door.

Demon 68

Bo

I have moved out of photobucket, never liked it anyway;

This is where the doors sit on the real thing at 'pinned' back location, I've always known them sit back to almost where the fuselage meets the tailboom

56927_1162400813.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

This is as far back as I can get the KH doors;

IMG_5746_-_Copy.jpg

If I were to put them to where I think they should sit this is the issue that arises to the front of the cabin door;

IMG_5748.jpg

I'm thinking I may be able to shave some of the fuselage a couple of mm and slightly move the cabin walls back to meet, maybe. And yes the cabin doors fit perfectly when closed so if anything the kit may just have a couple of mm of excess in the front section? The only issue I see making it not workable is the rear cabin walls and if there is any room to move/play without affecting the rest of the cabin interior. I'm such a slow builder that it may take me a year to find out;

IMG_5747.jpg

But of course if you don't see an issue like me and/or you want the doors off or closed on the kit then no problems, nothing to see here!

Edited by UH-1Mad
On 10/18/2017 at 5:09 PM, UH-1Mad said:

MRC/Academy does a 1/35 UH-1C and is by far the best Huey kit in any scale. I'm not sure if there are actually any in-inaccuracies in this kit. Beautiful, accurate detail, nice fine panel lines, superb 540 main rotor, raised rivets and the interior is spot on. I have about 3 or 4 in the stash, I just wish they would re-release it, they are getting hard to find now without paying ridiculous ebay prices. It would be good if Eduard updated their detail sets with painted IP's.

Sorry, but even the beloved Academy kit has a few warts and I assure you is not as accurate out of the box as the KH Huey.  For one thing there are no scissor links in the kit!  Built OOB it is glaringly incorrect.  Also, the rotor mast and  swash plate is actually a B model mast.  The Charlie model has a beefier swash plate and different trunions.  It is the SECOND best Huey kit currently available though.

As others have said, when properly locked back the cabin door sits flush with the rear wall of the gunner's well.  Indeed this has to be so as the angled plate with the hole for the pin is attached to the forward edge of the door.  

Here is a better look at the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation UH-1H that Gino posted the pic of above.  As you can see in this shot the pin fits in the hole on the plate flush with the leading edge of the door and the kotter key dangling on the chain should be inserted during flight ops with the door open to keep it from moving forward.

22550420_10155718889344098_1203347843041

Here is a active duty Flatiron UH-1V showing the same thing, but the kotter key is in the vent hole in the quilting just above and to the right of the pin.  Most importantly, you can see the leading edge of the door is flush with the rear edge of the cabin when the door is fully opened.

22728836_10155718888639098_2361488508126

46 minutes ago, UH-1Mad said:

I have moved out of photobucket, never liked it anyway;

This is where the doors sit on the real thing at 'pinned' back location, I've always known them sit back to almost where the fuselage meets the tailboom

56927_1162400813.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

This is as far back as I can get the KH doors;

IMG_5746_-_Copy.jpg

If I were to put them to where I think they should sit this is the issue that arises to the front of the cabin door;

IMG_5748.jpg

I'm thinking I may be able to shave some of the fuselage a couple of mm and slightly move the cabin walls back to meet, maybe. And yes the cabin doors fit perfectly when closed so if anything the kit may just have a couple of mm of excess in the front section? The only issue I see making it not workable is the rear cabin walls and if there is any room to move/play without affecting the rest of the cabin interior. I'm such a slow builder that it may take me a year to find out;

IMG_5747.jpg

But of course if you don't see an issue like me and/or you want the doors off or closed on the kit then no problems, nothing to see here!

Great explanation my friend, i will do exactly as you, shave some milimeters of the fuselage.

Rod.

37 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Great explanation my friend, i will do exactly as you, shave some milimeters of the fuselage.

Rod.

You guys are making a lot of extra work for yourself just to get that extra milimeter of space, but if it makes you feel better go for it.  Personally, I think the finished model looks fantastic as it is.  Hey, at least you get the door stops with the kit.  We've never seen that is a Huey kit before, not even the much lauded 1/35 Academy/MRC UH-1C kit.

Ray 

1 minute ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

I will do an OBB KH that’s way My eyes Can rest from all those years dealing doing parts for the ita and Esci ones.. 

to me the KH is a almost o perfect model kit 

While it is not perfect, hence all the new Werner Wings resin bits, I will put the KH 1/48 kit up part for part with any other Huey kit in 1/35 scale it it will meet or exceed that kit's detail 90% of the time.  Really, the overhead panel and ceiling are the two major areas I can think of  where significant detail was missed.  There are of course some stuff we want to fix before any 1/35 release, but overall its' a great kit.

Ray

1 minute ago, rotorwash said:

While it is not perfect, hence all the new Werner Wings resin bits, I will put the KH 1/48 kit up part for part with any other Huey kit in 1/35 scale it it will meet or exceed that kit's detail 90% of the time.  Really, the overhead panel and ceiling are the two major areas I can think of  where significant detail was missed.  There are of course some stuff we want to fix before any 1/35 release, but overall its' a great kit.

Ray

Agree with you my friend

I haven’t see the KH in person yet but the pictures I have see from plastics and builds are just fantastic! 

28 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

You guys are making a lot of extra work for yourself just to get that extra milimeter of space, but if it makes you feel better go for it.  Personally, I think the finished model looks fantastic as it is.  Hey, at least you get the door stops with the kit.  We've never seen that is a Huey kit before, not even the much lauded 1/35 Academy/MRC UH-1C kit.

Ray 

That's what it's all about for me and any Huey kit - as accurate as possible to 'look' at so that extra work in my eyes will definitely pay off and look much more accurate.

31 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Ray

and it they lower the dampeners on the rotor mast and fix the interior issues you speak of I will completely agree - the kit is beautiful, not doubting that, but with those fixes it will be outstanding.

Edited by UH-1Mad