2 minutes ago, UH-1Mad said:

and it they lower the dampeners on the rotor mast and fix the interior issues you speak of I will completely agree - the kit is beautiful, not doubting that, but with those fixes it will be outstanding.

We also want to get the reversed scissor links corrected in 1/35 and a punch list of some little things even you guys haven't noticed.  I'm sure we won't get them all, but we'll give them the info at least.  Trust me, neither Floyd or I want to work on resin fixes to a 1/35 kit.  We want it perfect OOB.

Ray

And I guess as individuals we all see different things in a kit/aircraft that stands out to them. Things that make up that iconic Huey look to them. So things like the door issue I see, the dampeners a bit too high on the mast and the interior deficiencies are some of the real things that stand out in looking at a Huey for me. I forget that people see things differently to everyone else.

Ray I'd never noticed those issues you have pointed out on the MRC C model until now! So that's a perfect example of what people see differently. But I'm glad you have pointed them out as now I can go away and check it out! 

I like the fact we can share all of this here.

Edited by UH-1Mad
2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Well I was upset that they didn't have the three non-structural rivets on the model.  Do you remember where they are?  Same on Cobras.

Floyd

And remember early D/Hs have 7 screws around the fuel filler while later ones with the crash worthy fuel cells have 14!

9 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

I have moved out of photobucket, never liked it anyway;

This is where the doors sit on the real thing at 'pinned' back location, I've always known them sit back to almost where the fuselage meets the tailboom

56927_1162400813.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

This is as far back as I can get the KH doors;

IMG_5746_-_Copy.jpg

If I were to put them to where I think they should sit this is the issue that arises to the front of the cabin door;

IMG_5748.jpg

I'm thinking I may be able to shave some of the fuselage a couple of mm and slightly move the cabin walls back to meet, maybe. And yes the cabin doors fit perfectly when closed so if anything the kit may just have a couple of mm of excess in the front section? The only issue I see making it not workable is the rear cabin walls and if there is any room to move/play without affecting the rest of the cabin interior. I'm such a slow builder that it may take me a year to find out;

IMG_5747.jpg

But of course if you don't see an issue like me and/or you want the doors off or closed on the kit then no problems, nothing to see here!

Seriously though, photo photos are not exactly head on with the "problem area".  I really think the kit is real close if not spot on with the real thing. 

3 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Maybe we should count how many rivets are on the model compared to the real thing too.  Sheesh, this to me really seems like a non issue.

It is a non issue to those that don't care. Okay??

But if it's visible to the eye of those that DO care, and it's fixable, then those that DO care can fix it.  I plan to make door slightly longer and move right along.

Bo

Demon 68

That's fine. I'm just saying that this is a minor issue compared to problems with the other Huey's out there. I am more concerned with the rotor head, the control linkages being out of alignment. To me, that is a far more visible problem. Any ideas how to correct that? 

Edited by midnightprowler
1 hour ago, midnightprowler said:

That's fine. I'm just saying that this is a minor issue compared to problems with the other Huey's out there. I am more concerned with the rotor head, the control linkages being out of alignment. To me, that is a far more visible problem. Any ideas how to correct that? 

The door issue is as equally visible to me as the rotor issues, that's why I have brought it up.

In looking at the rotor mast, you maybe able to cut those dampeners off very carefully, sand down the excess on the mast and reattach lower but I think it would be a tricky and dangerous move, you may want a spare rotor head for back up! The linkages I'm not too sure, maybe they can be attached in the reverse, correct position? I haven't really looked at the rotor too much yet.

I'm not too fussed on correcting too much on the 1/48 kit, Floyd's correction set will hopefully solve most of the issues.

It's the 1/35 one I really need in my life.. bring it..

On 10/20/2017 at 4:54 PM, 11bee said:

Wow, that must have really cool. Don’t hold back on us Gino, I’d love to know what it was like sitting in the back of a Huey all those decades ago.  Share some stories man!   

It was a blast and I love sitting in the open door.  It wasn't that long ago though.  The last time was in '08 at White Sands, NM.  The ride was fun, the reason was not.  I spent 3 days flying around the desert in one of the red/white range birds doing SAR for a soldier who went missing from my BDE.  Unfortunately we eventually found him with a self-inflicted gunshot wound out in the desert.  Before that was multiple times while at the National Training Center (NTC), Ft Irwin, CA from '03-'06.  NTC still had a few Hueys for their Aviation O/Cs, the Eagle team.  I would go up whenever we had an air assualt by the player unit that we had to go along on.  Flying NOE (nap-of-the-earth) in desert wadis and draws was a blast as well.  Before that I was a Fire Support Officer in 1-7 CAV (GarryOwen!!).  In the mid-late '90s, 1-7 still had OH-58C and AH-1F/S "Hunter/Killer Teams" and a couple UH-1H command birds.   I got to go up in all of them at different times.  Lots of rotary wing fun over the years.  Black Hawks and Chinooks as well. 

Edited by HeavyArty

the only thing I don't like about the KH Huey is the exaggerated bend on the main rotor blades... on my kitty hawk (when I can get it) I will use the perfectly blend ESCI blades JUST THE BLADES.. they I will not touch anything else on the KH .. to me all is cool on this kit

It have been a real  PITA all those years dealing with the ESCI and ITA hueys.... :)

2 hours ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

the only thing I don't like about the KH Huey is the exaggerated bend on the main rotor blades... on my kitty hawk (when I can get it) I will use the perfectly blend ESCI blades JUST THE BLADES.. they I will not touch anything else on the KH .. to me all is cool on this kit

It have been a real  PITA all those years dealing with the ESCI and ITA hueys.... :)

Charlie,

I would recommend just putting the KH blades in some warm water and bending them straighter.  When you get the kit you will see that the detail on the blade roots, the tab for the blade tie downs, the scale thickness of the blades and most especially the rotorhead details put the KH main rotor light years ahead of anything you have ever seen.  Just think of it this way, if you can add droop to a blade, you can remove it just as easily.

Ray

27 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

Charlie,

I would recommend just putting the KH blades in some warm water and bending them straighter.  When you get the kit you will see that the detail on the blade roots, the tab for the blade tie downs, the scale thickness of the blades and most especially the rotorhead details put the KH main rotor light years ahead of anything you have ever seen.  Just think of it this way, if you can add droop to a blade, you can remove it just as easily.

Ray

I hear you my friend, now this is a good Idea to fix that ONLY thing I don't like about the fantastic KH kit :)

haha I have two set of ESCI blades waiting to go there.. Ill try what you recommend my friend just in case...

Charlie,

Ray

I hear you my friend, now this is a good Idea to fix that ONLY thing I don't like about the fantastic KH kit :)

haha I have two set of ESCI blades waiting to go there.. Ill try what you recommend my friend just in case...

Charlie,

Ray

Charlie,

Ray

I looked at the door on my 212, and I found the top picture showed the same detail as the top example shows. I didn't have a camera available, but this was a fullsize Bell 212HP. it has the same door and aft fuselage as a 205/UH-1

On 10/9/2017 at 6:48 AM, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I really liked Eduard's PE sets I ordered all four of them, including the masks.  The Werner's Wings correction set is at the scanners then we have to get it printed but it is coming.  I'll post pics of the parts later. 

Floyd

Floyd, I assume you have received these by now.  How does the colored IP look?  Is the gray correct and will it be easy to match for the rest of the interior?  I want to pull the trigger on these sets, but am worried about the colored PE.  I have seen other sets that don't match very well, or rather are reported to not match very well.

5 hours ago, JesusNut said:

I'm NOT Floyd; but, I do have Eduard's Color PE instrument panel and it looks GREAT!!  They even added the 8-day clock in the lower right panel that I pushed as I pulled the start trigger!!  The KIT does NOT have this clock.  I have NOT put the PE set together so I can't speak to that.  The PE panel is more accurate than anything I can make using kit and AFTER Market parts.  It even has the Go-No Go placard!!

Bo

Demon 68

7 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Floyd, I assume you have received these by now.  How does the colored IP look?  Is the gray correct and will it be easy to match for the rest of the interior?  I want to pull the trigger on these sets, but am worried about the colored PE.  I have seen other sets that don't match very well, or rather are reported to not match very well.

I have not.  I'm waiting on the review copies.  What Bo said.  Bo knows.
Floyd

2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Bo knows.
Floyd

You mean 'Bo Knows Diddly'??  Or is that 'Don't know Diddly'?

It's amazing how much Diddly I forgot!!! 

This is a busy time of year for me and I have to really work on finding time to model.  I'd love to finish my Huey before Christmas, ...... I hope?  Nice kit so far.

Bo

Demon 68

12 hours ago, jabow said:

I'm NOT Floyd; but, I do have Eduard's Color PE instrument panel and it looks GREAT!!  They even added the 8-day clock in the lower right panel that I pushed as I pulled the start trigger!!  The KIT does NOT have this clock.  I have NOT put the PE set together so I can't speak to that.  The PE panel is more accurate than anything I can make using kit and AFTER Market parts.  It even has the Go-No Go placard!!

Bo

Demon 68

Thanks Bo!  It appears that I will have to go ahead and purchase these so I can get started on mine.  

11 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I have not.  I'm waiting on the review copies.  What Bo said.  Bo knows.
Floyd

Thanks Floyd!  I will also be ordering a set of stencils and the correction set from you shortly.  Although, I am finding that it appears that my Dad's unit painted over the stencils when they added the SEA camo pattern, at least on the outside of the aircraft.  

13 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Thanks Bo!  It appears that I will have to go ahead and purchase these so I can get started on mine.  

Thanks Floyd!  I will also be ordering a set of stencils and the correction set from you shortly.  Although, I am finding that it appears that my Dad's unit painted over the stencils when they added the SEA camo pattern, at least on the outside of the aircraft.  

Whoa!!  That's Agent Orange spray rig and those are barrels of Agent Orange!!  Was this at Da Nang??

I flew from end to end in II Corp and didn't see a Camo Huey, tho photos clearly show some DID exist.  If they didn't paint over them, likely put tape over ones that have critical maintenance info and painted away.  Maybe with a brush???

Let us see your built when complete.

Bo

Demon 68