Just staring at the CADD's. Crew chief seat looks really detailed. Did they all have that fabric side panel? They even caught the c-rat can on the M60 and the barrel retaining clip on the MG mounting post. Nice attention to detail. 20mm ammo can for the 7.62 rounds, I hope they will also give us the stock ammo cans and feed chutes (with the option to put the M60's in both deployed and stowed (vertical) position.

Pilot's armor shields are forward. Hopefully they can be modeled stowed as well, never seen a Huey on the ground with no pilots and the armor shields forward. Not a biggie either way, should be easy to correct. I'd really like to see how they are going to replicate the mesh screen on the engine cowling. In a perfect world, you'd be able to see the engine through it but I know it's tough to get PE that fine. If the can't get the PE acceptably thin enough, just don't bother and go with molded on details. It would be the lesser of two evils. Not a huge issue for me I guess since any Huey I'll be building will have the anti-Strella heat shields.

I too am hoping that they release PE seatbelts for the pilot's and troop seats. Molded on will look horrible and it would take quite a bit of work to shave them off. If nothing else, just approach Eduard (I believe they were the ones who made the PE for the Dragon Hueys) about sourcing that PE set. It's pretty darned nice (multipart seat belts).

More pictures guys!!

Glad you like the M23 setup, John. Floyd and I spent a lot of time making sure KH had the refs for that system.

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Huh! Learn something new. I thought it stood for computer aided drafting. Oh well.

Tim

Actually both Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Drafting appear to be acceptable meanings for CAD. So you are BOTH right! Bottom line is the CAD models only exist on the computer as opposed to traditional 2D drafting methods using paper.

Ray

Hey Floyd - great news on the Huey. I wonder if you would consider on the decal sheet options for 9 Sqn RAAF in Vietnam ??

Yes I will provide Kitty Hawk with an option to do a RAAF aircraft, as long as it is a straight Huey and not the armed version, and if they don't include it on the sheet I will include it on the Werner's Wings sheet that we will produce.

Would that not just be a standard US-Army spec late version Huey?

I was trying to figure out what the "foreign Huey" would be, I was guessing an AB205, maybe with the rescue hoist fitted? Not sure how it would be different from a regular UH-1D/H, didn't this version have a cargo compartment in the tail boom?

If so, really hoping this isn't present on all the KH Hueys, that was a major pain to fill when building the Dragon UH-1H.

Also, just hoping to confirm that the pilot's doors are separate? Doesn't look that way from the CADD. That's a huge miss if really the case.

Foreign Hueys will be from various countries. I'll look into trying to get country specific stuff as we get closer. I can't stress enough how important it is for the first Huey to sell well. Poor sales will not be good for follow-on kits. The doors will probably be separate. It is just the way that KH does it. Don't worry about the CAD and the places they will cut. Even if they released it right now with the current CAD, which by the way is not what you've seen, then we would have a winning Huey. Light years better than the current ones. There are some things that we need to 'tweak' but nothing drastic. There will be NO CARGO DOOR on the RIGHT SIDE TAILBOOM. Ray and I have both made sure of that. IF you want that, learn to scribe and scratchbuild it. It ain't on a Vietnam era Huey and won't be on ours.

Those in the know with this project or KH kits in general - is it likely the kits will have a photo-etch component, e.g. IP's/belts?. I'm assuming so now that the pre-painted sets are becoming the thing. They add IMO sooo much realism. I cant wait to see what they have done with the interior of this kit, so much potential but at the same time as long as it has the basic accuracy, the kits will have endless potential in the hands of the modeller.

I can't speak for the content or inclusion of PE and the like but KH has had that in their past releases and I'm sure Eduard will jump on the band wagon. Remember the interior is going to be US ARMY VIETNAM interior. Still discussing options.

We will all enjoy this kit but again the first one has to help finance the second one and so on. Ray and I don't get paid for this we do this for the love of the helicopter(s). Ok we do get a kit or two but that is all. We want it correct out of the box. I don't mind not doing any resin for it if we can get it perfect from the box and so far so good.

Floyd

...We will all enjoy this kit but again the first one has to help finance the second one and so on. Ray and I don't get paid for this we do this for the love of the helicopter(s). Ok we do get a kit or two but that is all. We want it correct out of the box. I don't mind not doing any resin for it if we can get it perfect from the box and so far so good.

Floyd

Awesome stuff and thanks for working hard at trying to provide us with this new and much wanted Huey. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Thanks for answering the questions Floyd, this is sounding better by the minute!!! Man this is gonna be good.

Can I ask if you know - how are you attacking the cargo interior in relation to the soundproofing? Molded on to the roof/walls etc? Being Vietnam version most will know that it could be either but I'm thinking having both options would be hard to replicate?

Chris B.

Edited by UH-1Mad

Just great news guys!! Really looking forward to this one as it has been on my personal wish list for years. It would be wonderful if it were possible to include an option to do a Dustoff bird along with a 'Nam slick. Can't wait for this one!!

Jim

Well I am excited for sure :) I have Huey kits going back to when ESCI issued them and even picked up a couple of the Italeri versions. May have to get rid of those and just get the KH one. Or keep them and use them for a platform for various schemes so I can use up my decals. I have some German and Taiwanese markings from Fireball I could use I guess.

Floyd you mention RAAF decals down the road. Would that be the tri-colour scheme? That would be great.

Also, there is one thing you could make in resin for the Huey. How about a cowboy hat in 1/35? I can paint it black and put that on the pilot seat :lol: :lol:

Well I am excited for sure :)/> I have Huey kits going back to when ESCI issued them and even picked up a couple of the Italeri versions. May have to get rid of those and just get the KH one. Or keep them and use them for a platform for various schemes so I can use up my decals. I have some German and Taiwanese markings from Fireball I could use I guess.

Floyd you mention RAAF decals down the road. Would that be the tri-colour scheme? That would be great.

Also, there is one thing you could make in resin for the Huey. How about a cowboy hat in 1/35? I can paint it black and put that on the pilot seat :lol:/> :lol:/>

Mason, Ray and I are still researching Vietnam decals and a RAAF bird is not out of the question. Just need photos.

Floyd

If building a Vietnam 9SQN D/H RAAF Iroquois, keep in mind it most likely had the rescue hoist fitted. As for the markings, they were very standard between 'slick' and 'Bushranger' (gunship version) models. The only exception would be the addition of the word 'BUSHRANGER' on the nose of the armed D/H models.

I can upload photos later when not at work!

Chris B.

Edited by UH-1Mad

RAAF (& subsequently Army) UH-1 weren't tri-colour, just tan & green. There were some experimental schemes, but the majority were two tone.

RAAF (& subsequently Army) UH-1 weren't tri-colour, just tan & green. There were some experimental schemes, but the majority were two tone.

Ok good to know. Maybe I was confusing it with the Blackhawks?

Can't wait for this one.

Having talked with Ray on the FB Huey Page while posting images I know it'll get done right with both you guys input.

I can only hope it sells well enough for follow up versions... Would love a accurate UH-1N to replace the dog of a Panda/Dragon kit.

Only other wish is although boxed as a Vietnam UH-1D/H KH include the later parts in the box marked not for use...as pretty much all the UH-1H's I want to make are Post Vietnam era with the later ecm upgrades.

One more thing Floyd..Any chance of a USAF HH-1H conversion set?

Cheers,

Gary

I can only hope it sells well enough for follow up versions... Would love a accurate UH-1N to replace the dog of a Panda/Dragon kit.

Only other wish is although boxed as a Vietnam UH-1D/H KH include the later parts in the box marked not for use...as pretty much all the UH-1H's I want to make are Post Vietnam era with the later ecm upgrades.

One more thing Floyd..Any chance of a USAF HH-1H conversion set?

I hope we get a UN-1N as well. An HH-1H might be a stretch but you never know with the parts breakdown. I have no idea on the sprues, but I'd suspect all those post-Vietnam things will be on a separate sprue.

Floyd