On 6/8/2017 at 8:02 PM, AndrewPerren said:

Can someone tell me what that white teardrop shaped lump is on the roof ? 

That's the ADF Loop antenna.  It IS teardrop shaped but no where near as high as kit.  Real thing is about 2 inches higher that roof NOT a trip hazard like kit part.  Sanding stick will rectify this!!

Bo

On 3/19/2017 at 5:38 PM, KAGNEW said:

hi all: this is the latest information.

we will do a large line of 1/48 U S  helicopters.

but i promise a line of 1/35 Huey's & Cobra's in the not to distant future.

Glen

That's what I get for going on vacation!!  

Did I hear someone say Kitty Hawk will do a large line of 48th scale US helicopters!!  Army???  Like a UH-1C/M, OH-6A, and AH-1G?????

Please say YES!!!

Bo

Edited by jabow
spaling
11 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

We sorely need a 1/48 AH-1G. No kit exists to my knowledge, and I have a set of NASA markings for just such a bird.

There are some really bad kits of the G Model Cobra, not even worth trying to build.  The first, from design up, real Gunship and very colorful marked ones in Vietnam and not a decent kit!!  What else does any kit Mfgr what in a subject????  Revell????  Tamiya????  Geesh!!

16 minutes ago, jabow said:

What else does any kit Mfgr what in a subject????  Revell????  Tamiya????  Geesh!!

Apparently they want a subject that sells.   If they thought there was a market for it, we’d be flooded with 48th scale helos.  

Edited by 11bee

I had a conversation with Mister Tamiya back in the day when they use to have their contest in Orange County,  back then Tamiya was not interested in making helicopters because they didn't sell. This was about 10 or so years ago and I know things have changed since then with  helicopters , we are seeing a beginning of an interest in helicopters, it appears thats in 1/48 and a few in 1/32. I know we all have a dream helicopter in our particular  scale that we  would like to see produced, Gentlemen rotorheads, this may be our time. 

Oliver

17 hours ago, 11bee said:

Apparently they want a subject that sells.   If they thought there was a market for it, we’d be flooded with 48th scale helos.  

That's a given.  Also a given, they SURE won't sell if there's NONE to buy!!

IMHO, 48th scale is the middle ground, big enuff for nice detail, and small enuff NOT to have a special place to display it.  A 2-bladed helicopter doesn't take up any more room than a 48th modern fighter.

There are still a lot of people today, that had some sort of story about the Huey!!  Either personal or a relative/friend!!

Build it and they WILL come!!

Is that worth 2 cents???

Bo

1 hour ago, jabow said:

That's a given.  Also a given, they SURE won't sell if there's NONE to buy!!

IMHO, 48th scale is the middle ground, big enuff for nice detail, and small enuff NOT to have a special place to display it.  A 2-bladed helicopter doesn't take up any more room than a 48th modern fighter.

There are still a lot of people today, that had some sort of story about the Huey!!  Either personal or a relative/friend!!

Build it and they WILL come!!

Is that worth 2 cents???

Bo

If I had two cents for every guy who posted “If they ever released a kit of X it’d be a license to print money”, I’d be a wealthy man.    

Time will tell if you are right or not.   Don’t let reading posts on this forum feed a belief that there is a huge, pent up market for helos.  The only models that consistently sell well are grey jets and airplanes with swastikas on them.  I believe the folks at KH said that if their 48th Huey sold well, they would shortly follow up with a 35th scale Huey.     It’s been 7 months.   Hopefully we’ll see something announced from KH soon.   If not, can logically assume sales were less than hoped for. 

Edited by 11bee
On 10/16/2017 at 12:07 PM, 11bee said:

“If they ever released a kit of X it’d be a license to print money”, I’d be a wealthy man.    

You're NOT???!!!   Shoulda made those kits!!!  LOL!!!

Me either; but, I can buy 'em!!

Guess everything is dependent upon how well the released kits were executed!!  Half efforts yield half returns!!  I really like what Eduard did on their M'schmitt!!  When it wasn't right, they fixed it, ...... or at least made it better!!  Attaboy Eduard!!

Bo

39 minutes ago, jabow said:

You're NOT???!!!   Shoulda made those kits!!!  LOL!!!

Me either; but, I can buy 'em!!

Guess everything is dependent upon how well the released kits were executed!!  Half efforts yield half returns!!  I really like what Eduard did on their M'schmitt!!  When it wasn't right, they fixed it, ...... or at least made it better!!  Attaboy Eduard!!

Bo

Exactly!!

A lot of kits suffer due to manufacturers not listening to what the consumer wants and then they complain about poor sales because no one is buying them. It doesn't take much to turn people off a kit, it can be as little as one tiny in-accuracy. This is such a great hobby/industry in that there is a great forum/medium (here for example) where the consumers and manufacturers can communicate and tell each other what they want/need and also give great feedback on what is currently in the works.

Sadly though we did see a bit of this from Kitty Hawk and their current Huey. the mistakes were identified and communicated early by us the consumers but Kitty Hawk didn't correct any of the issues. Ray and Floyd were very transparent and forthcoming in all of their dealings with Kitty Hawk and the in-production progress and communicated the issues with them but it seems Kitty Hawk were not on board with fixing any of the issues, I'm not sure on the reasons for this? From memory the bigger issues were - the overhead console completely devoid of detail, the rotor head stabilizers too high, no mounting tabs for the transmission, incorrect number of bench seat supports and some other minor issues all which could have been fixed easily before production. I am also finding an issue with the sliding cabin doors also as they don't seem to sit back far enough in the fully open position and I'm not sure if that can be fixed without some major surgery but I might start a new thread for that. All this is coming from a Huey nut like myself who strives to have it look as accurate as possible, others may not even notice such discrepancies but for me it stops a really good model being outstanding which I believe it would have been if these issues were rectified. Hats off to Floyd in all his great work getting the decals/correction sets/extras up and running, we are lucky to have someone like him and Ray in this hobby. Maybe one day though we will get a kit that doesn't need $50-100 in extras and corrections. I still have one I'm building and will probably but at least another in this scale but I am a little disappointed in those kit issues seeing they were identified early and brought to Kitty Hawks attention.

Will the proposed 1/35th kit be just an upscale of the 1/48 kit - most likely but here's hoping they take the time to listen and fix some of the issues and make into the outstanding kit that it potentially can be.

As said before and I will say again though - this kit is light years ahead of any 1/48 Huey on the market.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris B.

2 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

Exactly!!

A lot of kits suffer due to manufacturers not listening to what the consumer wants and then they complain about poor sales because no one is buying them. It doesn't take much to turn people off a kit, it can be as little as one tiny in-accuracy. This is such a great hobby/industry in that there is a great forum/medium (here for example) where the consumers and manufacturers can communicate and tell each other what they want/need and also give great feedback on what is currently in the works.

Sadly though we did see a bit of this from Kitty Hawk and their current Huey. the mistakes were identified and communicated early by us the consumers but Kitty Hawk didn't correct any of the issues. Ray and Floyd were very transparent and forthcoming in all of their dealings with Kitty Hawk and the in-production progress and communicated the issues with them but it seems Kitty Hawk were not on board with fixing any of the issues, I'm not sure on the reasons for this? From memory the bigger issues were - the overhead console completely devoid of detail, the rotor head stabilizers too high, no mounting tabs for the transmission, incorrect number of bench seat supports and some other minor issues all which could have been fixed easily before production. I am also finding an issue with the sliding cabin doors also as they don't seem to sit back far enough in the fully open position and I'm not sure if that can be fixed without some major surgery but I might start a new thread for that. All this is coming from a Huey nut like myself who strives to have it look as accurate as possible, others may not even notice such discrepancies but for me it stops a really good model being outstanding which I believe it would have been if these issues were rectified. Hats off to Floyd in all his great work getting the decals/correction sets/extras up and running, we are lucky to have someone like him and Ray in this hobby. Maybe one day though we will get a kit that doesn't need $50-100 in extras and corrections. I still have one I'm building and will probably but at least another in this scale but I am a little disappointed in those kit issues seeing they were identified early and brought to Kitty Hawks attention.

Will the proposed 1/35th kit be just an upscale of the 1/48 kit - most likely but here's hoping they take the time to listen and fix some of the issues and make into the outstanding kit that it potentially can be.

As said before and I will say again though - this kit is light years ahead of any 1/48 Huey on the market.

Just my 2 cents,

Chris B.

Well put.  The KH Huey could have been much better.  At best, compared to the state of the art, it's a mediocre model that needs more than just a few resin correction parts.  It's getting good press in some quarters simply because it's still light years ahead of what else is out there.   The ironic part is that KH has demonstrated that they can, if they set their minds to it, do some pretty high quality work.  All you need to do is look at their latest release.  It's not Tamiya or GWH quality, but it's at least close.   It's almost like they have two teams who design these kits, the A team and the B team.  Three guesses which team was responsible for the Huey.   

Let's see how the upcoming Littlebird looks.   They still have a chance to prove they can do high quality helos but they need to far exceed what they did with the Huey. 

10 hours ago, 11bee said:

Let's see how the upcoming Littlebird looks.   They still have a chance to prove they can do high quality helos but they need to far exceed what they did with the Huey. 

KH is making an OH-6???  Great!!  One of my Buddies will be even happier!!

KH's Huey isn't perfect, for sure.  That leaves the After-Market guys something.  As long as ya can get there, huh???

The US Army helicopter have LOOONG been overlooked.  That 'unpopular war' showed up being unpopular subject matter, at least for the 'down and dirty' group.

More US Army subjects!!!  Decals. too!!

Saw recent email about number of lost aircraft in Vietnam; the most USAF aircraft lost was F-4 Phantom, with 500 odd.  The UH-1 lost was something over 3,200 aircraft lost!!  They were everywhere in the air and still everywhere in crash sites!!  More US ARMY subjects!!

Bo

43 minutes ago, KAGNEW said:

I have given the mold maker Floyd's list of corrections for the 1/35 Huey. so I feel it will be corrected.

That’s great news!   Do you know if adding raised rivets, per the real thing, was on this list?   If so, we should have a winner. 

Edited by 11bee

Did I hear the 1/35th kit is finally coming, or is it still a dream? I suspect that the next chopper will be a B or C Heuy. That way we can build a rocket ship or a generic gunship. 

Maybe even a combo of the two weapons systems. I've seen hunter killer teams that had two gunships and one out front chopper with a search light roll thru about an hour before dawn. Just all kinds of options. 

Cobras when I was on the ground, were the new kid on the block. Most all were kinda generic looking till they'd been down town a couple months. Personally, I'd like to see

Kitty Hawk do a 1/35th scale H34 in Marine trim. This airframe was used by several special op's units due to it long range and yet able to carry a good load.

gary 

3 hours ago, norbert said:

Thanks to Oliver, who helped for collecting and shipping, I think I can start with those :

22519190_10210106406876598_1085489066663

Cheers

Norbert

I know what those are!!!  Mine are a bit snug these days!!  LOL!!!  That ??SPH-4?? helmet is one GREAT piece of equipment!!  Wearing it for hours and no head ache!!

Demon 68

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

Did I hear the 1/35th kit is finally coming, or is it still a dream? I suspect that the next chopper will be a B or C Heuy. That way we can build a rocket ship or a generic gunship. 

Maybe even a combo of the two weapons systems. I've seen hunter killer teams that had two gunships and one out front chopper with a search light roll thru about an hour before dawn. Just all kinds of options. 

Cobras when I was on the ground, were the new kid on the block. Most all were kinda generic looking till they'd been down town a couple months. Personally, I'd like to see

Kitty Hawk do a 1/35th scale H34 in Marine trim. This airframe was used by several special op's units due to it long range and yet able to carry a good load.

gary 

Already got very nice B/C models in 35th.  

I agree with a large scale UH-34 but I wouldn’t hold your breath.    

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Already got very nice B/C models in 35th.  

I agree with a large scale UH-34 but I wouldn’t hold your breath.    

MRC/Academy does a 1/35 UH-1C and is by far the best Huey kit in any scale. I'm not sure if there are actually any in-inaccuracies in this kit. Beautiful, accurate detail, nice fine panel lines, superb 540 main rotor, raised rivets and the interior is spot on. I have about 3 or 4 in the stash, I just wish they would re-release it, they are getting hard to find now without paying ridiculous ebay prices. It would be good if Eduard updated their detail sets with painted IP's.