Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What we see here is definitly the best long body Huey in the market. The general shape is just impressive. The profile picture really looks like the real deal, the nose shape, windshield and green house looks very accurate. Although there are a lot of things i personally will fix and replace with scratchbuilt parts. 

Some small mistakes i found in the model are:

-Rotor swashplate sits too low

-Rotor damper structure sits too close to the hub

-Rotor stab bar sits too tight to the hub

-Skid steps are a little thick

-There is a hole in the skid lower surface near the step, really dont know what it is.

-Pitot tube too long and thick

-Roof FM antenna too thick (and it doesnt go with vietnam era Hueys)

-Rotating beacon light is wrong in shape, it needs to be cut in half eliminating the pointy thing (looks like a UH-60 strobe light or a modern Huey strobe)

-Main rotor blades bending is extremely excessive.

-Pilot seats armoured side plates are a little small, note that in the real thing the right one is different than the left one.

-Pilot seat seatbelts are a bit ugly. They lack the hip seatbelts that are attached to the floor just back of the seat.

-Fire extinguisher is ultra small.

 

Cant wait to start the model. Definitly will buy at least 10 of them. I want to see how it builds up.

 

Thanks.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't agree with the swashplate being too low or the stab-bar too tight. \i don't know why the Pitch links are tilted though, they should be straight up.

 

Cheers

H.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Winnie said:

I don't agree with the swashplate being too low or the stab-bar too tight. \i don't know why the Pitch links are tilted though, they should be straight up.

 

Cheers

H.
 

Pretty sure most of the rotor errors are attributable to a builder who doesn't do helos all the time.  Hopefully, i get my copy here soon, but in the meantime, we will see how the rotor system works out for Floyd.

   Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

I tWhat we see here is definitly the best long body Huey in the market. The general shape is just impressive. The profile picture really looks like the real deal, the nose shape, windshield and green house looks very accurate. Although there are a lot of things i personally will fix and replace with scratchbuilt parts. 

Some small mistakes i found in the model are:

-Rotor swashplate sits too low

-Rotor damper structure sits too close to the hub

-Rotor stab bar sits too tight to the hub

-Skid steps are a little thick

-There is a hole in the skid lower surface near the step, really dont know what it is.

-Pitot tube too long and thick

-Roof FM antenna too thick (and it doesnt go with vietnam era Hueys)

-Rotating beacon light is wrong in shape, it needs to be cut in half eliminating the pointy thing (looks like a UH-60 strobe light or a modern Huey strobe)

-Main rotor blades bending is extremely excessive.

-Pilot seats armoured side plates are a little small, note that in the real thing the right one is different than the left one.

-Pilot seat seatbelts are a bit ugly. They lack the hip seatbelts that are attached to the floor just back of the seat.

-Fire extinguisher is ultra small.

 

Cant wait to start the model. Definitly will buy at least 10 of them. I want to see how it builds up.

 

Thanks.

Rod.

As I said before, your mileage may vary. 

 

There are two rotating beacons.  One for Vietnam and one for the strobe type.

I disagree on the main rotor blades bending.   I like it.

Pilot's seat armor maybe slightly small but will be unnoticeable inside the fuselage.  The right side is different than the left one.  Not sure what you are seeing. 

I agree about the seatbelts.  I don't like them either.

The Fire Extinquisher is based off of one that we had in our hand.  Installed it looks good.  I am going to have the pilot's door open on mine so you can see it

I'm not sure about the rotor system as I haven't assembled it yet.  I do know that they based the height off of the factory drawings. 

I'm not sure what is going on with the lower skid

The pitot tubes are up to you.   I know what he did.  He has it mounted too far forward.  I think it is perfect.  The others may be a little thick.  Not sure.  If I do it I'll probably replace them with tubing anyway so that I can take it to shows without damaging it. 

 

Just started putting some paint on mine.  So things are picking up.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

We want to see your build Floyd, definitly will be much better than the Kitty Hawk test build.

Way yo go!

 

Rod.

Check the build on here.  There is an online build posted on ARC.

Floyd

 

PS I really hate the way he painted the main rotor blades.

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

Check the build on here.  There is an online build posted on ARC.

Floyd

 

PS I really hate the way he painted the main rotor blades.

Yup, im following your build with great interest.

He painted the blade roots, that is way wrong. LOL.

 

Rod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, salvador001 said:

Yup, im following your build with great interest.

He painted the blade roots, that is way wrong. LOL.

 

Rod.

Yeah, i pointed that and many other of his painting mistakes out above.  

   Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone tell me what that white teardrop shaped lump is on the roof ?  I can't find any pics which clearly show it.  Either way if looks like its replaced with a flat plate of some sort in the builds I want to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

Can someone tell me what that white teardrop shaped lump is on the roof ?  I can't find any pics which clearly show it.  Either way if looks like its replaced with a flat plate of some sort in the builds I want to do.

It is some sort of antenna, can't remember if it is UHF or something, but ours had square one or none at all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, AndrewPerren said:

Can someone tell me what that white teardrop shaped lump is on the roof ?  I can't find any pics which clearly show it.  Either way if looks like its replaced with a flat plate of some sort in the builds I want to do.

Thats the DF loop aerial antenna. 

For modern Hueys its a flat square type just like Dave said.

 

Rod.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will assess my own observations on the kit when I have one in hand. Based on my 15 years of experience with 1:1. I have a pretty clear picture of what is right/wrong with what is in plastic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will there be other boxings/variants of this kit, perhaps with added/different detail parts? I intend to build at least two, one Vietnam era US Army and one 80's German SAR. Can I do both with the current box contents (apart from the SAR specific equipment) or should I wait for another box to be released?

Cheers

Jeffrey

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Will there be other boxings/variants of this kit, perhaps with added/different detail parts? I intend to build at least two, one Vietnam era US Army and one 80's German SAR. Can I do both with the current box contents (apart from the SAR specific equipment) or should I wait for another box to be released?

Cheers

Jeffrey

I don't know now.  There was supposed to be four boxings but not sure if that is happening now.  For now you can build both from this kit.

Floyd

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Guys,

 

Would you recommend the Squadron In Action book for the Huey as a decent book for reference purposes?

 

TIA

 

Brad

I am very hard on Huey books in general, Brad, because I have yet to see one that is totally accurate.  This one is no exception.  From my point of view, the first part about the XH-40/YH-40 is the best simply because the author got a number of old Bell negative scans which I had given to the Army Aviation Museum and which were scanned by the University of North Texas for me when we were working on restoring the XH-40 (first Huey) at FT. Rucker.  These have never been seen in print before.   I would say over half of the illustrations are from the National Archives, with the rest being from maybe 4 other sources.  There are some nice photos though.  The line drawings have errors and incomplete info, but some of them would be useful as well.  Honestly if you are looking for reference photos though, the Rotorwash DVD series on short and long bodied Hueys I put together for Werner's Wings will be much more useful for an actual build.

     Ray

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2017 at 8:43 AM, rotorwash said:

As you can see here, John, that setup is at least one possibility.  We gave them refs for the complete bench seat so i am hoping there are options for it in the kit.

   Ray

 

Image may contain: sky, airplane and outdoor

 

Now this is what I remember the center bench seat looking like.  Very narrow, barely wide enuff to put my, then skinny, butt on it.  Recall flying back from Summer Camp with IP and other Pilot and I sit in the back on that titter/tottering seat!!  So uncomfortable, I just laid down on some duffel bags awaiting my turn to fly!!  Our ship's bench seats was configured just like this without guns.

Bo

Demon 68

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...