Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Already got very nice B/C models in 35th.  

 

I agree with a large scale UH-34 but I wouldn’t hold your breath.    

 

MRC/Academy does a 1/35 UH-1C and is by far the best Huey kit in any scale. I'm not sure if there are actually any in-inaccuracies in this kit. Beautiful, accurate detail, nice fine panel lines, superb 540 main rotor, raised rivets and the interior is spot on. I have about 3 or 4 in the stash, I just wish they would re-release it, they are getting hard to find now without paying ridiculous ebay prices. It would be good if Eduard updated their detail sets with painted IP's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I want Cobras, Kiowas and Hueys in both scales.  A CH-54A in 1/48.  Then a large scale UH-34 and an updated Blackhawk would be nice.  I'm working it as best I can

Floyd

Don't forget the Loach!!  Don't forget the OH-6 Loach!!  The OH-58A's were just coming in country in 1970.  Before that, it was the OH-13 and OH-6!!

And the UH-1B and C/Ms held on for a loooooong time.  My Hooch neighbor extended 6 months the fly the coming AH-1G Cobras.  The Cobra didn't arrive until about a year later!!  Don't know if he extended again or not????  That'd be in late '70 or early '71 timeframe.  Our C/M's did a good enuff job!!

Edited by jabow
Clarity.
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jabow said:

Don't forget the Loach!!  Don't forget the OH-6 Loach!!  The OH-58A's were just coming in country in 1970.  Before that, it was the OH-13 and OH-6!!

And the UH-1B and C/Ms held on for a loooooong time.  My Hooch neighbor extended 6 months the fly the coming AH-1G Cobras.  The Cobra didn't arrive until about a year later!!  Don't know if he extended again or not????  That'd be in late '70 or early '71 timeframe.  Our C/M's did a good enuff job!!

Jabow,

 

If you are jonesing to build an OH-6A, keep in mind that the Dragon kit is actually pretty decent.  Unlike their Huey which really sucks, the Dragon kit offers good details, realistic raised rivets and with the Eduard PE set and a few other details added (Werner Wings used to over a really nice resin minigun), the kit can be a winner.  Also got some nice aftermarket decal options as well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Jabow,

 

If you are jonesing to build an OH-6A, keep in mind that the Dragon kit is actually pretty decent.  Unlike their Huey which really sucks, the Dragon kit offers good details, realistic raised rivets and with the Eduard PE set and a few other details added (Werner Wings used to over a really nice resin minigun), the kit can be a winner.  Also got some nice aftermarket decal options as well.

 

 

Is it 48th scale???  I speak ONLY 48th.

Bo

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

I want Cobras, Kiowas and Hueys in both scales.  A CH-54A in 1/48.  Then a large scale UH-34 and an updated Blackhawk would be nice.  I'm working it as best I can

Floyd

A Kiowa in 35th would be soooo good. Then we could make the Aussie Kiowa (if it has high skids).

 

But a new tooled, accurate 1/35 UH-1D/H is the dream for me. And if it were to be of the standard of the MRC C model it will be a major player...hopefully its the next Kitty Hawk kit in the mix...

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Sorry, my bad.  Thought you spoke the only true helo language, 35th!

Nope.  HomoScale!!  If it ain't 48th, it ain't crap!!!

With two exceptions, my entire collection is 48th.  When we have guest over, most of whom wouldn't know a P-51 from a B-52, gather around my display case and even they can understand 'relative' size of each subject if everything is a constant scale.  I even have several figures for them to see and compare sizes with.  Started with 48th way back BEFORE dirt.  See no reason to switch.

MORE 48th, please!!

Demon 68

Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I'd LOVE to see accurate kits of the following, in 1/48 and 1/35:

 

AH-1G

AH-1J

AH-1T

AH-1W

UH-1E

UH-1N

H-60 series

Pave Low

 

And while we're at it, a CH-46 and -53 in 1/35.  Heck, there's a Chinook in that scale, so the size shouldn't be an issue. I'm sure a Phrog and $hitter would sell; Doupnik would buy several I'm sure! :)

 

Semper Fi,

 

Ski

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok as I said earlier, this is the issue I am finding with the kit. I've always loved the look of the Huey 'slick' with the doors pinned right back, it's the iconic view for me. I am finding with this kit that the said sliding cabin doors don't sit right back as far as they should. They should, at 'pinned' back location be almost at the edge of where the fuselage meets the tailboom.

IMG_8172_zpsedidhb6i.jpg

56927_1162400813_zpssrf2rkvs.jpg

 

 

With the Kitty Hawk kit they go back no further than this;

 

IMG_5746%20-%20Copy_zpsmcfhldxg.jpg

 

 

 

If they are to go back roughly as far as they should, this is the issue in red that arises;

 

IMG_5748_zpsfhnclxcm.jpg

 

So I think that either the fuselage is slightly too long or the doors too small? Maybe the piece in red can be cut back but that will depend on if there is play in the rear cabin wall for to be able to come back any.

 

I only bring it up because it stands out to me and it maybe something that can be rectified for the 1/35 kit. Others may not notice this but as a Huey nut it sticks out to me. It is still no doubt the best 'slick' kit you can get by far, and I'm loving the build and the builds I've seen so far but I always knew something looked slightly off in that area and I think that this is it.

 

I noticed a lot in this pic of Andrew Perren's amazing build of an Aussie 'Nam 'slick'

Kittyhawks%2048%20UH-1D%20H%20%20Huey%20

 

I'd be interested to hear what you guys think?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that the factory drawings were used to make the kit.  Everything was perfectly proportioned.  Plans were placed over the CAD and they were literally perfect.  I don't see what you are seeing.  It don't think it will be rectified in the 1/35th scale kit as I don't think it is an issue.  Sorry.  

Floyd 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got your point friend

 

non of the huey on the market do that,,, that is what I think maybe I am wrong..

 

what I do with my huey is add just two drops of glue at the end of the door and believe me once you add the cabin door holders at the end of the fuselage.. they will  be there till the end of the door.. but this is just what I do..

Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit hard to tell from pics but it does appears UH-1Mad is correct.   On the real thing, the aft edge of the door is significantly closer to the tailboom joint than the KH kit and if you force the door aft, it's not properly aligned with the aft cabin bulkhead.  On the real thing, with the door fully back and pinned, you still have approx 6"' of it accessible forward of the cabin bulkhead.   It appears that the door is physically too short.  

 

Hopefully this will be addressed on the 35th Huey, along with some other issues those pics highlight, such as the way overscale horizontal hinge on the engine cowling and those raised access plates that cover the fuselage.   In RL, they would be made of 1" armor plate if you use the KH kit as a reference.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2017 at 8:36 PM, jabow said:

I know what those are!!!  Mine are a bit snug these days!!  LOL!!!  That ??SPH-4?? helmet is one GREAT piece of equipment!!  Wearing it for hours and no head ache!!

Demon 68

concerning the chicken plate, do you know what was placed inside the front pocket ? Just wondering

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, norbert said:

concerning the chicken plate, do you know what was placed inside the front pocket ? Just wondering

Designed for emergency radio when you were downed.  Our Unit didn't have such radio so I put my cigarettes in mine!!

Demon 68

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see which pics you are referring to as they are in photosucket.  But to address your points my main doors could have gone back another 1-2mm maybe? but I wanted to make sure I had adequate glueing area in the door slide tracks.

 

Looks fine to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AndrewPerren said:

I can't see which pics you are referring to as they are in photosucket.  But to address your points my main doors could have gone back another 1-2mm maybe? but I wanted to make sure I had adequate glueing area in the door slide tracks.

 

Looks fine to me.

 

Yeah I'm not sure why the pics don't show up anymore. I have the photobucket add-on to get around that and they were showing up all of yesterday but not now? I might try another image host and re-post. It certainly detracts from the kit in my eyes - it just doesn't look right but it seems it wont be corrected for the 1/35 kit which is disappointing. I am trying to be constructive in the criticism rather than nitpicking but I know that is a very fine line to ride. I honestly love this kit but I would rather say something in the hopes of it being corrected for the 1/35 release rather than stay silent.

 

Chris B.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

 

Yeah I'm not sure why the pics don't show up anymore. I have the photobucket add-on to get around that and they were showing up all of yesterday but not now? I might try another image host and re-post. It certainly detracts from the kit in my eyes - it just doesn't look right but it seems it wont be corrected for the 1/35 kit which is disappointing. I am trying to be constructive in the criticism rather than nitpicking but I know that is a very fine line to ride. I honestly love this kit but I would rather say something in the hopes of it being corrected for the 1/35 release rather than stay silent.

 

Chris B.

 

I've noticed built kits where the sliding cargo door stops are a bit forward as well.  I've NOT progressed that far on  my build, but adding a strip of plastic to forward and rear edge of door will help, if needed.  Could well be that the builder just didn't place sliding door to the full aft position????  I'm NOT there yet.

The most rear end of door should be even or slightly aft of engine exhaust.  Not too drastic of a fix.  The door closed is not an issue.

Bo

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 11bee said:

On the real thing, with the door fully back and pinned, you still have approx 6"' of it accessible forward of the cabin bulkhead.  

 

That is not correct.  When fully back, the door is even with the rear bulkhead and there is a clip that holds it to the bulkhead.  There is no part of the door forward of the bulkhead at all.

2-HN-Ac-Revell-Bell-UH1-Huey-1.24.jpgimage009-1-1.jpg1351.jpgAAHF%20UH-1H%2068-16104%20cabin%20(12).J

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jabow said:

I've noticed built kits where the sliding cargo door stops are a bit forward as well.  I've NOT progressed that far on  my build, but adding a strip of plastic to forward and rear edge of door will help, if needed.  Could well be that the builder just didn't place sliding door to the full aft position????  I'm NOT there yet.

The most rear end of door should be even or slightly aft of engine exhaust.  Not too drastic of a fix.  The door closed is not an issue.

Bo

Agree!

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Hard to tell Gino.   Correct that it isn’t 6”, I was mistaken, but in your last pic, it’s definitely not flush.

 

Have you ever been on an actual Huey?  I have flown in quite a few Army Hueys. I can tell you for sure that the cabin door is flush with the rear bulkhead when locked opened. 

 

If you are talking about the below picture, look where the lock-back clip is in the center of the door, just above the handle.  The rear bulkhead is damaged here and is pushing the pin forward, not allowing the door to be fully flush.  If that area was not damaged, it would be flush as it is in the prior three pics.

 

AAHF%20UH-1H%2068-16104%20cabin%20(12).J

Edited by HeavyArty
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...