Unrelated but saw on another forum, the KH rep stated he was pretty disappointed with the Nats. Not a great deal of traffic / interest at his display.

That's too bad.

Monetarily for Werner's Wings is was dismal. I didn't even pay for the room. I expected that though as I didn't have any new items to offer. Did seem like a small turnout but that may be because of the large area.

Floyd

Floyd, did you release the AH-1F conversion yet?

Thanks.

Rod.

No. Still working it though. I did have some CAD, PE and turned metal barrels at the Nats. Shooting for Christmas. Still finishing up some CAD parts.

Floyd

While I don't have a big interest in the AH-1F, the parts looked absolutely fantastic in person (even in their early phase). For those of you that do get this conversion, you won't be disappointed.

No. Still working it though. I did have some CAD, PE and turned metal barrels at the Nats. Shooting for Christmas. Still finishing up some CAD parts.

Floyd

Thanks Floyd. I will pick one when you release it. Im starting to save for the conversion and the new Huey.

Rod.

I notice those that complain about Kitty Hawk kits aren't offering reasons for it.

That struck me too, Midnightprowler. So here goes: I started the KH Dauphin and I was not happy with that one, to put it mildly. The fit on the Dauphin kit is horrible, some dimensions are just plain wrong (fit of the engine, fit of the cabin).

Second point, although this might be more a matter of taste: I hate it when all panels have to be mounted separately. It gives the kit the looks of a WWII- battle tank instead of the sleek lines of a modern helicopter. I definitely hope that KH will rethink this tendency of imho over- detailing.

Here, there you have it. Before the shooting starts: this is my opinion, based only on the KH- Dauphin. I could not speak for the other KH releases, have no experience with them. We helicopter modellers cannot be too picky though: any new release should be welcomed and although I am no 1:35 builder and am perfectly happy with the Italeri 1:48 UH1D, I do in that respect welcome the OH6 and the Huey!

Final word of appreciation must be said on the obviously enormous amount of (unpaid) work that Floyd and Ray put into the to be released KH- kits. You guys rock, and I sincerely hope that your efforts will turn out in a magnificent and at last correct Huey!

:worship:

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ

Final word of appreciation must be said on the obviously enormous amount of (unpaid) work that Floyd and Ray put into the to be released KH- kits. You guys rock, and I sincerely hope that your efforts will turn out in a magnificent and at last correct Huey!

377.gif

Gertjan

Thanks, Gertjan, I seriously doubt anyone on the planet wants an accurate Huey more than me! Floyd and I have given it our best shot. Regardless, it has been interesting to be part of the process.

Ray

That struck me too, Midnightprowler. So here goes: I started the KH Dauphin and I was not happy with that one, to put it mildly. The fit on the Dauphin kit is horrible, some dimensions are just plain wrong (fit of the engine, fit of the cabin).

Second point, although this might be more a matter of taste: I hate it when all panels have to be mounted separately. It gives the kit the looks of a WWII- battle tank instead of the sleek lines of a modern helicopter. I definitely hope that KH will rethink this tendency of imho over- detailing.

Here, there you have it. Before the shooting starts: this is my opinion, based only on the KH- Dauphin. I could not speak for the other KH releases, have no experience with them. We helicopter modellers cannot be too picky though: any new release should be welcomed and although I am no 1:35 builder and am perfectly happy with the Italeri 1:48 UH1D, I do in that respect welcome the OH6 and the Huey!

That is one kit however. A person cannot make a general judgement of all of a manufacturers kits off of one bad egg. I understand the issues with that one. It makes sense. I say just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

:worship:/>

Gertjan

:worship:/>

Gertjan

That is one kit however. A person cannot make a general judgement of all of a manufacturers kits off of one bad egg. I understand the issues with that one. It makes sense. I say just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Out of curiosity, do you guys know if there will be different instrument panels for the Vietnam version vrs the "modern" Huey? Also, would you know if they are providing an option for cabin interiors without soundproofing or just ones with the quilts installed?

I know the ultimate decision is with KH but figured if you guys were assisting on this, you might be able to provide some info.

Edited by 11bee

Out of curiosity, do you guys know if there will be different instrument panels for the Vietnam version vrs the "modern" Huey? Also, would you know if they are providing an option for cabin interiors without soundproofing or just ones with the quilts installed?

I know the ultimate decision is with KH but figured if you guys were assisting on this, you might be able to provide some info.

John,

I can't answer the question about the soundproofing at the moment, but I will certainly provide references for a modern UH-1H instrument panel when the time comes. However, everyone should understand that there are quite a few minor variations in both the main instrument panel and the center instrument panel on modern Hueys. Any kit part will almost certainly be a compromise of the most common configurations. A TH-1H all digital instrument panel, for instance, may have to rely on the aftermarket even if a Huey II kit variant comes out. Being perfectly candid, my goal is a Huey that is accurate dimensionally both outside and inside with decent detail. Once we have a kit with accurate lines and dimensions, the sky's the limit for the aftermarket.

Ray

John,

I can't answer the question about the soundproofing at the moment, but I will certainly provide references for a modern UH-1H instrument panel when the time comes. However, everyone should understand that there are quite a few minor variations in both the main instrument panel and the center instrument panel on modern Hueys. Any kit part will almost certainly be a compromise of the most common configurations. A TH-1H all digital instrument panel, for instance, may have to rely on the aftermarket even if a Huey II kit variant comes out. Being perfectly candid, my goal is a Huey that is accurate dimensionally both outside and inside with decent detail. Once we have a kit with accurate lines and dimensions, the sky's the limit for the aftermarket.

Ray

Yeah, agree 100%. None of this is by any account a "showstopper" so please don't think I was whining. As far as the IP goes, I was just hoping that the modern version would have the RWR display, as far as I know, that was the most noticeable change over a stock Vietnam-era panel (aside from the panel being black vrs grey).

Yeah, agree 100%. None of this is by any account a "showstopper" so please don't think I was whining. As far as the IP goes, I was just hoping that the modern version would have the RWR display, as far as I know, that was the most noticeable change over a stock Vietnam-era panel (aside from the panel being black vrs grey).

No worries, John. I know you, me and everyone else has high hopes for this kit. It's probably our best shot at an accurate D/H model for a long long time.

Ray

John, I can't even imagine designing a modern 1/35 scale Huey without separate pilot doors. Keep in mind the CAD images are not the final draft. KH just wanted to announce the Huey at the Nationals. Regarding a "Foreign" versions, there are lots and lots of options. The actual contents of that kit have not even been discussed to my knowledge, but rest assured the "Vietnam" version will not have a right handed tail rotor or luggage compartment in the tailboom.

Ray

I never thought I'd ever want to see another Huey!!! I was laughing with a buddy a couple weeks ago about my very first trip in a Huey. There were no seats, and you just plopped your butt down on the floor. Was certain I'd probably fall out on the contraption! The ship had no rear doors (a lot of them didn't), and the folding seat was missing as well. Needless to say I hung on for my life and never felling out of it<g>!!

I wish my old First Sargent was still with us, because I'd built him one. He pushed me out the door about 25 times on insertions. Still all told I must have done 75

flights (maybe more). Went down four times in one, and a CH46 (47?)another time. Guess I'll do one for myself and five other kids.

gary

I never thought I'd ever want to see another Huey!!! I was laughing with a buddy a couple weeks ago about my very first trip in a Huey. There were no seats, and you just plopped your butt down on the floor. Was certain I'd probably fall out on the contraption! The ship had no rear doors (a lot of them didn't), and the folding seat was missing as well. Needless to say I hung on for my life and never felling out of it<g>!!

I wish my old First Sargent was still with us, because I'd built him one. He pushed me out the door about 25 times on insertions. Still all told I must have done 75

flights (maybe more). Went down four times in one, and a CH46 (47?)another time. Guess I'll do one for myself and five other kids.

gary

And that is exactly why we are doing this project. Exactly.

Floyd

Floyd

I echo Floyd on this point. The first one I build will be a 190th AHC slick from my dad's unit. The Huey is way more than a cool model to us!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

Floyd

Actually misspoke in my post. Right after Tet in 68, we started moving to new garden spots I'd never heard of before. Top put together a six man recon team, and I was number two out the door. I carried the hog and about 90lb. of gear, and the radio guy was right behind me. Top was number one. I landed on top him when the pilot stopped the Huey dead still. Next flight out I was number one and Top was number two. When he was ready, I'd feel his hand in the center of my back. I switch the hog off safe instantly. He pushed me, and I went without ever looking down. I can count 17 insertions, my right hand man says 23. Top says 25. So many that they seem to flow together. Randy asked me awhile about a certain hill top out on the Lao border. Never heard of it! Then he said "you should!" I never asked him anymore because I didn't care to know.

Going downtown in a huey is a ride only REMF's can dream about. Riding thru the valleys looking up at the tops of the ridges. Those were days when we thought we were made of iron.

gary

Actually misspoke in my post. Right after Tet in 68, we started moving to new garden spots I'd never heard of before. Top put together a six man recon team, and I was number two out the door. I carried the hog and about 90lb. of gear, and the radio guy was right behind me. Top was number one. I landed on top him when the pilot stopped the Huey dead still. Next flight out I was number one and Top was number two. When he was ready, I'd feel his hand in the center of my back. I switch the hog off safe instantly. He pushed me, and I went without ever looking down. I can count 17 insertions, my right hand man says 23. Top says 25. So many that they seem to flow together. Randy asked me awhile about a certain hill top out on the Lao border. Never heard of it! Then he said "you should!" I never asked him anymore because I didn't care to know.

Going downtown in a huey is a ride only REMF's can dream about. Riding thru the valleys looking up at the tops of the ridges. Those were days when we thought we were made of iron.

gary

Great stories, my uncle was a Vietnam Vet, were you with the 82nd or 101st? He served with both, one as an advisor.