I echo Floyd on this point. The first one I build will be a 190th AHC slick from my dad's unit. The Huey is way more than a cool model to us!

Ray

I've got three memorial builds in mind, all comes down to how much info I can find on the helo and how hard it will be to cobble together the markings.

First is the 4/228 Huey shot down by FMLA guerrillas in El Salvador. 2 crew members survived the crash, only to be executed by guerrillas. This Huey had (I believe) the ALQ-144 IR jammer installed.

Next would be 69-15619, a UH-1H assigned to the 62 AVN (Co? BN?), which from my limited research appears to be the last US Army Huey lost in combat in Vietnam. It was shot down by an SA-7 on 1/8/73, all 6 crewmembers KIA.

Last pick would be 64-13571, a DE ANG UH-1H that crashed in a nearby town on Cape Cod back in 1988. Got lost during a routine flight, during a foggy night, ran out of fuel and went down in a wooded area, behind some homes. All 6 crew were killed. Sad that there appears to be absolutely no information about this crash from local sources. Can't even find out the exact crash location. Appears to be completely forgotten.

Not sure if I'll build all three but I'll see what progress I make with some preliminary research.

Great stories, my uncle was a Vietnam Vet, were you with the 82nd or 101st? He served with both, one as an advisor.

I was an I-Corp rat with the Americal (we never heard of the 23rd Infantry). My unit was an Arty unit, and you must do a recon before moving. Sometimes there was Infantry close by, but most of the time they were not there. I did ops with all the big boys except for the 5th Mech. (never got up there but once) Got as far south as the II-Corp border, and been up and down the Lao border too many times. My last base camp was at the south end of the Hiep Duc Ridge line. Still spent a lot of time in the Que Son Valley A.O.

Gary

Actually misspoke in my post. Right after Tet in 68, we started moving to new garden spots I'd never heard of before. Top put together a six man recon team, and I was number two out the door. I carried the hog and about 90lb. of gear, and the radio guy was right behind me. Top was number one. I landed on top him when the pilot stopped the Huey dead still. Next flight out I was number one and Top was number two. When he was ready, I'd feel his hand in the center of my back. I switch the hog off safe instantly. He pushed me, and I went without ever looking down. I can count 17 insertions, my right hand man says 23. Top says 25. So many that they seem to flow together. Randy asked me awhile about a certain hill top out on the Lao border. Never heard of it! Then he said "you should!" I never asked him anymore because I didn't care to know.

Going downtown in a huey is a ride only REMF's can dream about. Riding thru the valleys looking up at the tops of the ridges. Those were days when we thought we were made of iron.

gary

We were .

In thinking of memorial models for the Huey, I think it would be a wonderful tribute to model either Bruce Crandall's or Ed Freeman's slicks during the battle of A Drang Valley. Maybe one of the decal companies could sheet these.

Jim

In thinking of memorial models for the Huey, I think it would be a wonderful tribute to model either Bruce Crandall's or Ed Freeman's slicks during the battle of A Drang Valley. Maybe one of the decal companies could sheet these.

Jim

Since I am a retired 1-7th Cav veteran maybe Kitty Hawk has already thought about including Freeman's aircraft and Werner's Wings thought about doing Crandall's? Did you ever think of that? Maybe Werner's Wings will offer the HF antenna mounts needed for the Crandall bird. Maybe. Lots of options still available. Maybe Novosel's. Maybe 1st Cav stuff. Maybe 1-9 Cav. Maybe lots of options.

Floyd

Jim

Revell's latest release of their kit has Crandall's bird.

Thanks, guys! I had forgotten that this project was in very good hands! Thank you for your service, Floyd. A quick question: would either of these Hueys been H models or would this time period be pretty much B-models?

Jim

They were D models in 65, Jim. B models were short bodied Hueys (which I would LOVE a new kit of), but this release will be a D/H model. The big deference between Ia Drang D models and later D/H models for the modeler will be that the Ia DRang bird did not have the M23 system from everything I can find and, of course the D model has a nose mounted pitot whereas the H has a roof mounted one. There are a few other differences like the HF longline antenna, but those would be the big ones.

Ray

Crandell's or Novosel's birds would be great! I got a signed litho depicting Novosel's MOH flight so both would look good together in the man cave!

Since I am a retired 1-7th Cav veteran maybe Kitty Hawk has already thought about including Freeman's aircraft and Werner's Wings thought about doing Crandall's? Did you ever think of that? Maybe Werner's Wings will offer the HF antenna mounts needed for the Crandall bird. Maybe. Lots of options still available. Maybe Novosel's. Maybe 1st Cav stuff. Maybe 1-9 Cav. Maybe lots of options.

Floyd

They were D models in 65, Jim. B models were short bodied Hueys (which I would LOVE a new kit of), but this release will be a D/H model. The big deference between Ia Drang D models and later D/H models for the modeler will be that the Ia DRang bird did not have the M23 system from everything I can find and, of course the D model has a nose mounted pitot whereas the H has a roof mounted one. There are a few other differences like the HF longline antenna, but those would be the big ones.

Ray

From what I can see in recently released 8mm film footage, only Crandall's bird had the HF mounts. The rest seem to be without it. I think Werner's Wings will offer the HF set up in resin, maybe as part of the decal sheet. We will see.

Floyd

From what I can see in recently released 8mm film footage, only Crandall's bird had the HF mounts. The rest seem to be without it. I think Werner's Wings will offer the HF set up in resin, maybe as part of the decal sheet. We will see.

Floyd

Do you have any link to that footage Floyd? Would love to see it!

Chris B.

Ray, do you have any pics of 82nd Aviation Hueys in Vietnam? I've searched the net and really don't have any pics of their UH-1's.

Just curious.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Here are a couple of images from my archives to help you out. You are right that there aren't many pictures out there of the early period prior to deactivation in 1966.

Here is a nice slide of an A Co 82nd Avn UH-1D taken in 1966. Note they were camouflaged at this point in time. In Sept. 1966 Co. A, 82nd Aviation Battalion was deactivated and those assets became the 335th Aviation Co "Cowboys""Ramrods""Mustangs". In early 1967 the 335th was re-designated as the 335th Assault Helicopter Company. They kept the camouflage scheme but added the Cowboys door art.

1966%20A%20Co_zpsvjhk3bea.jpg

And here is a UH-1B gunship with 82nd Avn Bn showing door gunners Harold Woody and Ben Parsons waiting for a mission in 1965.

Alpha%2082nd%20Avn%20Harold%20Woody%20n%20Ben%20Parsons%20waiting%20for%20mission_zpsidl3pvxw.jpg

The nose art on the Gunship would have looked like this

Nose%20Art_zpseg4ykdug.png

Edited by snake36bravo

Ray

Just a small note here:

* Keep in mind that they were still flying a few "B" models in 1968. Not as common as the later models of course. but still out there. To add to this, the Cobra (can't remember the numbers)didn't really show up in mass till the fall of 68 in I-Corps. The work was borne by the basic gunship that came out of this kit. The first real strike from a Cobra for me was right around Christmas 1968 out by Hau Duc. I remember just sitting there watching this new chopper.

gary

Just a small note here:

* Keep in mind that they were still flying a few "B" models in 1968. Not as common as the later models of course. but still out there. To add to this, the Cobra (can't remember the numbers)didn't really show up in mass till the fall of 68 in I-Corps. The work was borne by the basic gunship that came out of this kit. The first real strike from a Cobra for me was right around Christmas 1968 out by Hau Duc. I remember just sitting there watching this new chopper.

gary

Gary,

There were B's in service right up till the end of the war. In fact, HAL-3 used ex-Army UH-1Bs, Cs and even a few Ms (UH-1C with L13 engine) throughout their history. The first Cobras came to NETT (New Equipment Training Team) at Bien Hoa in 1967.

Ray

Floyd, you should look into doing Bob Masons's aircraft too! He was also at the Battle of Ia Drang valley. He is mentioned in Col. Moore's book, and he also mentions it in Chickenhawk.

Cheers

Harald

Floyd, you should look into doing Bob Masons's aircraft too! He was also at the Battle of Ia Drang valley. He is mentioned in Col. Moore's book, and he also mentions it in Chickenhawk.

Cheers

Harald

Harald,

I never got the idea that Mason ever flew one aircraft for very long. In Chickenhawk he seems to be in a different bird on just about every mission. He also flew with the Blue Stars and they had some pretty good nose markings. Has anyone seen a photo of an aircraft identified as Mason's?

Ray