Here's something you don't see every day, an F-4D of the Vermont Air National Guard. No decals are produced for this subject that I am aware of, in any scale. The script "The Green Mountain Boys" on the tail is from the Superscale sheet for the Vermont ANG F-16A; only needed cutting the decal between every word to spread them out just a tiny bit more than they were.

Minimal weathering; photos show them to be well maintained with plenty of fresh paint. Single 'Winder rails on each inner pylon with a TER seems to have been a common fit from what I've found

This is the second completed build in my Vermont ANG series (first was the F-102, which they flew when I was born in the same city they are based in, Burlington VT)

cx25ito.jpg

gJtKPAE.jpg

bWeC0oa.jpg

4a36pBc.jpg

ESjOE1U.jpg

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

You lucky man!! I haven't been able to return since 1983....which is when they were flying the Phantom anyway.

I've been dreaming about the area lately; I need to return to the place of my birth. Must be a middle-age thing.

Now in the final detailing phase is a Vermont F-94B. Never seen one of those done either, which is not surprising considering the lack of reference material.

Also still looking for the F-16C markings from the Wolfpak sheet....anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! The "VT" and the numbering came from generic AF lettering decal sheets; insignia came from an A-7D sheet; ANG shield/badge on the intakes were kit decals from a Hasegawa RF-4, Nevada ANG release. What little stenciling was used came from the kit; very little appears to have been used on these birds, although many of them appeared to have the little yellow hook markings.

Three down so far; F-89 Scorpion will be the next in the Vermont series. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! Had it in the stash...several years ago someone in here was kind enough to sell me one from their stash. I'd started it with the idea of doing a Vietnam D, but when the Vermont ANG project began this year I finally decided to use it for that cause instead (after anguished mental debate).

Paints are Model Master enamels; Dark Tan and Medium Green slightly lightened, and Marine Corps Green instead of the normal 34079 Dark Green. Minimal fading and weathering, as these birds were kept in exceptionally good shape, as far as I can tell from the photos.

:cheers:

Yep. *grumbles* Although I already have one opened bottle plus two more unopened in the paint stash. So I've still got time before I *need* to find a substitute, probably much more time than most people. Especially since I build small scale. :)

EDIT: And, camouflage gray wasn't needed for this project anyway, being a full wraparound scheme. Normally not my favorite in the realm of camouflages, but it did allow me to save the light gray.

Needed it for the just-completed F-105 also in this forum :)