It is pretty obvious from looking at the sprues in person that other variants are more than likely planned. This is only a guess, but I can easily see them doing something similar to the F-16 (F-16CJ, then block 25/32, then block 32/52 T-bird, then C/N). I personally won't waste a dime on aftermarket conversions for this kit as patience will be better than any of them.

Patiently waiting on a Tamiya F-16D (and A and B ) since 2007.... :rolleyes:

Edited by habu2

gtypecanare was kind enough to drop off a couple of sprues for me to look at while sitting at my table vending. The exterior detail is exquisite on this model. The upper leading edge intake issue that I was concerned with is very limited, to the point that you have to look closely at it. Again, if you even notice it, some upward pressure applied to the upper leading edge intake and it's perfect. Super detailers will probably replace the cockpit and/or wheel bays, but they should be fine for everybody else. Being extremely passionate about the Tomcat, and succumbing to extreme critiquing which I usually try to avoid, the side instrument panels are somewhat inaccurate in regards to the switch and button placement. Only someone who really knows the Tomcat will really notice. It looks to be like an easy, pleasant build of a difficult kit. Tamiya nailed it. I'd give it a 9/10.

This was so funny. I was standing right next to you, Darren, when he came over with those two sprues...lol! You looked like a kid in a candy store! You even said something like "man, I wished I brought....to compare."

I was blown away but the overall quality of the kit when I saw it in person. And the build up model was superbly done.

Looking forward to getting the two I pre-ordered.

Rob

I think Darren gets like that at the NATS :thumbsup:/>

Actually, I think we all do (even more if we have a pocket full of money).

Only when Tamiya Tomcat sprues are brought over to me. Ah, who am I kidding? I'm always like that at Nats!

Saw it up close in Columbia this weekend. Looks nice, but if they were smart and really wanted to dethrone Hasegawa, they should have an option for dropped slats and flaps.

And for some people, myself included, they dethroned Hasegawa's Tomcat by not having the option.

And for some people, myself included, they dethroned Hasegawa's Tomcat by not having the option.

Agreed. I have no desire for dropped this, open that, hanging this. I want mine to look like the vast majority of parked Tomcat's do on the ground/deck.

But hey, each to their own and I am sure the AM guys will come up with something for the Tamiya kit. If not then you can opt for the other guys kit when it eventually comes out and you're fine with a 'D'.

:cheers:

Great box art for sure. I passed the table and looked at the sprues at least 10 times. :jaw-dropping: >I looked over the sprues with gtypecanare and while he could not say anything he highlighted a few areas where bits and pieces can be added with a simple additional sprue. Does that mean later block A's then B's and D's are just a step away. Very Likely ..Again Likely that the stiffeners will be released just as they were for the F-16. Will the Metal Pitot be in there. Why not.. some seatbelts...A great chance... Tamiya will sell these pretty well IMO and by that measure should follow with the later Model Kits in quick succession. But we are still waiting for an F-16D, A&B.. now I just hope my pre-order arrives by Sep. 24 so I can drop everything and get it ready for a show on Oct 15th...

Well, based on Viper730's post above ^^^ perhaps we can at least be cautiously optimistic for future Tamiya Tomcat's... maybe not hold your breath optimistic but we can at least be hopeful :rolleyes: .

I am jealous of all those who have already fondled the plastic. I can't wait until my preorders arrive :woot.gif:.

:cheers:

Sure, I understand that. An extra set of wings is clearly the way to do it.

The reason I mention the dropped option is that the Tomcat in particular is one of those planes that folks seem to like to display on a cat.