If you want to build an AV-8B, build the one you have. If you want to build a Sea Harrier FRS1, get the new Kinetic kit. Hasegawa also makes the British GR7 and GR9.

I'm wanting to build a 1/48 Harrier and would like some suggestions on which kit to go with. I have the Hasegawa AV-8B in my stash.

Thanks, and happy modeling

If you want to build an AV-8B, build the one you have. If you want to build a Sea Harrier FRS1, get the new Kinetic kit. Hasegawa also makes the British GR7 and GR9.

Oh yeah...Sold on the Kinetic kit. Didn't even know it existed but looks great. The last Harrier I built was the 1/24 Airfix in kit back in the early 80's.

Thanks for the responses

I agree with the Monogram kit, for a first generation Harrier (especially if you're on a budget). Much nicer (IMHO) than the old Airfix or Tamiya kits. IIRC the Tamiya Harriers were the first Harrier kits to be released in 1/48 and the AV-8A/GR.1 represents the earliest variants without many of the lumps and bumps introduced later and they are certainly lacking in the detail many have some to expect of Tamiya.

Edited by DonSS3

Kinetic will also be giving us the two seater first generation Harrier trainers in a few months. So if you think the FRS.1 is good, these should be most excellent. Currently the only kit out there for doing a GR-3 is the old Airfix kit, but other modelers have had success kitbashing the Airfix nose onto the Monogram kit. I believe there is a build article over at Modeling Madness detailing just that. Assuming Kinetic (or Airfix given their nice 1/72 new tool Harriers) follows up with the generation 1 land based Harriers after that, the only gap left to fill will be the second generation Harrier based trainers. A couple resin conversions have been issued over the years, but they are not easy to use and don't correct everything.

If i want to build an early Bravo Harrier in the green gray Marines scheme. Can i use the small lerx from the british revell harrier and change it with the correct hasegawa harrier nose boxing. Then i could use the big lerx for a late type british harrier. What else would be needed?

Which Revell of Germany kit specifically (part numbers would be best)? Reason I ask is they have reboxed both the old Monogram kit and the Hasegawa kit. If we are talking doing it with Hasegawa tooled parts, it likely would be pretty easy to do assuming it is just a matter of swapping the specific sprue trees. But if the Revell kit in question is the Monogram mold, maybe not quite as easy.

Plus, Monogram's old AV-8B kit is still a viable option for doing an early green/gray camoed Harrier. It may have raised panel lines, but in some areas they got the shape a little better, such as that subtle kink in the wing which Hasegawa didn't duplicate quite as well.

I have meant the british revell/hasegawa harrier. But i don't know what else would be needed exept changing LERX and using the correct nose from an early hasegawa AV-8B.( i would use an early hasegawa AV-8B as base)

Edited by nonrivetcounter