With the Habu moving along nicely, I've decided to open a second front in the RBGB.

For my next build I'll be doing Valom's RF-101C Voodoo. When I purchased the kit, it came with Caracal Models RF-101C decals.

P1030270A_zpsz1rmcrcz.jpg

Initially I was going to do a SEA camo scheme, but I have several other builds planned with SEA camo, so I'm leaning towards the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron aircraft (top aircraft) as stationed in Kadena AFB during 1960.

P1030270_zpsdl7sacmx.jpg

Thanks for following along.

Mike

Thanks gents!

Here's a couple of pics of the kit's contents:P1030271_zpsw0djmzxh.jpg

P1030272_zpsya45mssn.jpg

The instructions start you off with having to perform surgery on the seat's headrest, and replace it with a headrest that is more accurate:P1030273_zpsigr0h2o0.jpg

And here's the seat with the new headrest:

P1030274_zpsgyonxhsj.jpg

From the pics I've seen the seat shouldn't have the padded seat back. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to address this or not. Since it's 72nd scale and will be viewed through a display case, it may not be worth the effort to remove it. Will see.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

I was able to get some time at the bench this weekend, and I made some head way with this build.

I cut the resin intakes from their pour blocks, and here's a shot of them with the engine compressor intakes:

P1030277_zpspoqyyd9s.jpg

Although you can't see it in this photo, Valom labeled the resin intakes L & R.

And here they are secured into the wing. Each side has a small step between the resin and wing:

P1030279_zpsr1ouyaa2.jpg

There are PE splitter plates that still need to be installed in the intakes. The instructions show them as having a slight bend to them. I have a feeling these will be a challenge to bend correctly to match and install them.

I also glued the recce nose sections on to each fuselage half and addressed the seam. Have to do a little re-scribing on a couple of panel lines:P1030280_zpsneqwjnvd.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Nice presentation so far, thank you for the step by step photos and tips. I have the kit and i may enter the gb with it.

The only disappointing thing for me, while inspecting this lovely kit, was that you can not build it in flight mode. I like to make them that way.

Kit provides p.e. parts for the gear doors so they don't follow the belly curves they are flat. But they would look very thin for the landed version so i might have it on air with open doors.

The intakes p.e should be a challenge indeed. They add a lot to the model. I have the old hasegawa kit too and that section suffers. Valom did a great job on the intakes.

I'm one of the luck ones having issues with access to ARC. This build is still active, and I'm taking pics of my progress. Once I get unimpeded access again, I'll post the pics.

Mike

No we all getting the warnings for deceptive site...

• 1 month later...

Yay, the forum is back and posting of the build's progress can begin!

I've made good progress on the build while the site was down, and I'll be posting progress pics over the next couple of days.

The kit comes with PE intake splitter plates (SP), but there are no alignment guides for them. So I took my scriber and made grooves where I figured they went, and with a little CA glue, they were installed.

P1030294_zps5gk5wft2.jpg

I ran into issues with the SP when I attempted to attach the upper wings. The SP didn't have the shape as the intake's interior, and the rear corner of the SP was preventing the upper wings from seating properly resulting in a gaps. I had to remove the SP, and file them to match the contour of the intake. After several attempts, I was able to get them shaped to allow the upper wings to be installed with the gaps.

P1030295_zps5z9bd8yw.jpg

Once I was able to get the issue resolved, I moved on to installing the cockpit.

P1030296_zpsvazyrdgl.jpg

I installed the clear pieces for the cameras and closed up the fuselage.

Mike 

Edited by Ichitoe