1/48 Tamiya F-14A

Cool pictures, Viper_944FW. :woot.gif::thumbsup:

When I get the Tamiya Tomcat, I'll probably build it as VF-124's Bicentennial Tomcat.

If there is one LGG over White decal option that I would like to see added to all that's out there, it is VF-142 with the AJ code on USS America.

I have some with the AE code, but I don't recall seeing decals with the AJ code.

Cheers, Stefan.

So I'm thinking of pre-ordering a couple of these. I have the old Aeromaster sheet with the Nimitz cruise and Fightertown Wolfpack decals I think will work and I'm also thinking about picking up the furball F-14a all star sheet as well. Forgive me for not knowing much about tomcats....how do I know if an early tomcat will work or not with these sheets? Is there an online reference somewhere?

fad_48021_title.jpg

am48588a.jpg

From the looks of it, you should be able to build a A model from the late '70's to very early '80's. Tamiya kit that is, without mods???? I guess.

I've got the Aeromaster sheet you have the pic of.

Micro scale 48-0044 '75 VF-1, VF-14, and VF-142. All hi vis hi gloss.

Iranian Tomcat sheet

Decals for one of the VF-41 Libiyan SU-? Killer, 7 I think.

So I'm thinking of pre-ordering a couple of these. I have the old Aeromaster sheet with the Nimitz cruise and Fightertown Wolfpack decals I think will work and I'm also thinking about picking up the furball F-14a all star sheet as well. Forgive me for not knowing much about tomcats....how do I know if an early tomcat will work or not with these sheets? Is there an online reference somewhere?

fad_48021_title.jpg

am48588a.jpg

Was thinking of pulling the trigger on this sheet myself for this kit. The Sundowners and Aardvarks look *reeeeeally* tempting. :)

...Aardvarks look *reeeeeally* tempting. :)

Agreed. Aardvark's are one of my favorite F-14 Squadrons and will definitely be going on one of my Tamiya Tomcat's.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a panel of 160409 with the stars'n bars and the Pukin' Dogs banderole and the data plate that are still waiting to be put on the wall of the mancave. It's a Block 95 machine that was still in that config in '88 when it crashed while serving as VF-143's AG-107. Need to do some work on the stiffeners and will also need a TCS but that is something I consider a minor prob. The Tamiya kit should be just perfect for portraying the bird. I actually intend to one fine day do a 1/18 rendition but the 1/48 Tamiya should serve me just right for training purposes and trying out the DIY decals unless one of the manufacturers has some mercy. Nice dirty and greasy bird in two-tone camo and a medium grey skunkstripe and with a rare and short lived long stretched banderole.

26666570xa.jpg

Edited by bushande

I have a panel of 160409 with the stars'n bars and the Pukin' Dogs banderole and the data plate that are still waiting to be put on the wall of the mancave. It's a Block 95 machine that was still in that config in '88 when it crashed while serving as VF-143's AG-107. Need to do some work on the stiffeners and will also need a TCS but that is something I consider a minor prob. The Tamiya kit should be just perfect for portraying the bird. I actually intend to one fine day do a 1/18 rendition but the 1/48 Tamiya should serve me just right for training purposes and trying out the DIY decals unless one of the manufacturers has some mercy. Nice dirty and greasy bird in two-tone camo and a medium grey skunkstripe and with a rare and short lived long stretched banderole.

26666570xa.jpg

+1

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2016 at 2:36 PM, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

I have the Decals

F-14A%20159612%20AB220%20VF-32%20-%206.jpg

:rolleyes:

Nice!! Who does the decals for this one? The very first time I saw a Tomcat, it was one of these VF-32 birds about that exact time period ('76/'77 Quonset Point RI airshow). The noise and the afterburners lighting up in the turns...I remember it like it was yesterday and it's probably why I went into the Navy vice the Air Force...sorry Dad! lol

32 minutes ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Nice!! Who does the decals for this one? The very first time I saw a Tomcat, it was one of these VF-32 birds about that exact time period ('76/'77 Quonset Point RI airshow). The noise and the afterburners lighting up in the turns...I remember it like it was yesterday and it's probably why I went into the Navy vice the Air Force...sorry Dad! lol

I believe Aeromaster did them back in the day. I'd bet you can find them on eBay.

The Tamiya kit can be built as a block 85 or early block 95 F-14A.

The VF-2 jet is a Block 85 while the VF-84 version is a Block 95 jet.

So, the block 85 jets would include BUNO's from 159588 thru 159637 and the Block 95 jets would be BUNO's 160379 thru 160414. Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
13 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

It can be found on Eagle Strike sheet 48-020. I have it in my stash and I admit the scheme is VERY tempting given how colorful it is. Interesting note, I believe this particular jet, 159612 is the very first F-14 fitted with the two hole gun gas vent. I couldn't confirm it before since "Tomcat Alley" pictures that jet in Pukin' Dogs colors from the starboard side. This image is the first I have seen of its port side and in those specific markings. Interestingly enough it is also listed as a TARPS capable jet, although I don't know if it had that capability when it wore this scheme.