1/48 Tamiya F-14A

On 10/10/2016 at 1:11 AM, tosouthern66 said:

Guys

So will the Tamiya kit work for VF-111 NL200 160666 bird with or without mods?

No, that is a later Block 100 jet, you'll need mods.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER

DADGUMIT!!!!!!!! Aaaaahhhh!!!!!!!! Okay, I feel better. I had the early grill just where I wanted it. It was fitting perfectly. I sanded one little corner to refine the fit....and the corner broke off, swallowed by the carpet monster. After searching for 15 minutes, I gave up and put everything away. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull it back out and try and fabricate a new corner. I also worked on the NACA vent. That just needs a little more work and it will be ready to go. I'll test cast a set and see how they fit. Hopefully I can get the fit close enough where it won't be a pain. It sure won't fit like the rest of the kit, though. I'm still amazed at how easily this thing goes together!

This is getting confusing to me on what squadrons had what mods and which didn't. I am just going to build my VF-111 bird out of what comes from the box. If it's right it's right! If it is not it's not! I just want to enjoy the kit and the hobby.

Edited by tosouthern66
On martedì 30 agosto 2016 at 10:45 PM, Darren Roberts said:

You'll need that Block 115 upgrade (ECM blisters under the wing glove and on the boat tail) as well as the newer L-shaped tail stiffeners, wheels, and TCS pod. Hopefully I'll have everything in one set from Steel Beach.

so the 3rd is the correct tail for the Miss Molly?

f14-detail-beavertail.gif

Edited by Alpagueur
21 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

Alpa

What decal sheet you got? I am going to be using the Furball sheet. I don't think the Furball sheet is the Miss Molly A/C. As for your question, I would like to know as well.

3 hours ago, Alpagueur said:

Miss Molly, 161621, is a Block 125 aircraft so the third beaver tail is correct. However, like Darren Roberts said,  you still need tail stiffeners, ECM antennas below the wing gloves, TCS pod and, different wheels.

Steve

8 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

This is getting confusing to me on what squadrons had what mods and which didn't. I am just going to build my VF-111 bird out of what comes from the box. If it's right it's right! If it is not it's not! I just want to enjoy the kit and the hobby.

It can get confusing however the BUNO or serial number attached to that airframe will tell you everything you need to know about the jet, you just have to do your research, which in my opinion is a big part of the build.

Your also right that we should enjoy the hobby and have fun. I myself am very anal and like to get all the details correct. Most people don't care about that stuff but, that's just how I am.

Steve

8 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

That's  what Modelling is all about ...Enjoyment!!!!!

2 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Miss Molly, 161621, is a Block 125 aircraft so the third beaver tail is correct. However, like Darren Roberts said,  you still need tail stiffeners, ECM antennas below the wing gloves, TCS pod and, different wheels.

Steve

So which would be right for 160666

2 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

I may have missed a post or two but is the Steel Beach F-14 Block 125(?) conversion set out yet? 

It's been delivered to Sprue Bros. Now it's just a matter of them getting them into the system. It should be a matter of days.

58 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

It's been delivered to Sprue Bros. Now it's just a matter of them getting them into the system. It should be a matter of days.

I can't imagine the stock lasting for long :rolleyes:...

At least 3 will be gone for me...for now

Let me make sure I have this right. For what I want to build, the following is right.

Not Needed:

Tail ECM

ECM Blisters under Wing gloves

TCS Chin Pod

Needed:

L shaped Vertical Tail Stiffners

sorry if this is annoying to you all. I know the differences between models such as A,B,C but differences between early or late within a series I am lost on.

Since the original gun vent was giving me trouble, I decided to shift gears and see what would happen if I tried to get the Hasegawa NACA vent to fit. With some cutting, sanding, and puttying, it's in. I carved the NACA vent in the bump with a brand new X-Acto knife. I also temporarily put on the Steel Beach TCS pod to see how it looked. The final picture is of the lip of the intake bent up. As I surmised, it can be done with a gentle push of your fingers. The big problem now is what markings to do. I've got decals for lo-vis VF-33, which I really love, But I've also got decals for the some of the cool NSAWC/Topgun paint schemes. Oh the choices!

593103_orig.jpg

5091701_orig.jpg

5153444_orig.jpg

sorry for the little OT but does it exist some Steel Beach update set (ECM blisters, beaver tail mods, L stiffeners, gun vents etc.) for the 1/32 Trumpeter Alpha Cat, too? thanks.

Edited by Alpagueur
On 10/11/2016 at 1:44 AM, tosouthern66 said:

666 as it appeared in 1987 may not quite work, but it was part of VF-111 earlier than that. There are a few excellent VF-111 candidates that could be done in the gull gray scheme from the kit. They stood up in 1978 and had jets without the L brackets at least early on. They are block 100 jets, which should be more or less identical to the Tamiya kit configuration. Some possible candidates from Dave Brown's book include (according to the dates they were photographed):

160670 #202 (June 1980) No L brackets

160672 #203 No L brackets (crashed in 1979 before it could get them)

160664 #213 (10 May 1982)

160665 (not sure about the nose #) delivered June 1978

160666 (not sure about the nose #) delivered June 1978

160676 #205 (March 1979) no L brackets

160680 #207 no L brackets

160684 #211 (March 1979) no L brackets

160686 #212

160688 #213 (March 1979) no L brackets

160690 #202 (April 17, 1982) might have brackets