1/48 Tamiya F-14A

3 hours ago, ESzczesniak said:

That's not totally what I was looking for.  The extent of weathering varies by modeler. In particular, this is a CAG bird in an early 70's paint scheme.  The pictures I've seen of these birds are much the opposite of the TPS schemes.  I'm certainly not going to do full gloss, but I'd like to know where it started and go from there.

13 hours ago, Jay Chladek said:

The resolution is, the paint starts out glossy from the depot

I think Jay did answer your question, actually.

FS16440 over gloss insignia white were the factory depot paints…

Marc B.

2 minutes ago, Modelmkr said:

I think Jay did answer your question, actually.

FS16440 over gloss insignia white were the factory depot paints…

Marc B.

So the Tamiya instructions are wrong?...that's what I'm trying to be sure of.  I know the standard paint scheme for the Tomcat at this time and I know it's 16440 and gloss white.  But Tamiya calls for flat colors and, as I mentioned in my post, I thought someone had very specific information regarding this airframe getting a depot overhaul that returned it in the non-standard flat colors.  I can't find this post now though, so I'm trying to confirm that I either imagined seeing this, or that I just can't find this post again.

"In service sheen" I believe is exactly what Tamiya was going for. Even though Navy jets in the high vis gray over white scheme were gloss, it isn't going to look like say a factory showroom car paint job on the first days of a deployment. So it isn't a bad idea to dial it back slightly into the semi-gloss or satin realm if the plan is for it to look a litle "used" at least while keeping the paint job relatively clean. At least flat colors are A LOT easier to paint than gloss ones. Although one thing I love about Tamiya sprays is their tips atomize the paint so nicely to lay down a finish similar to what an airbrush does. This can make it easier to polish paint finishes more easily.

As for high vis CAG birds. Yes, they might be kept to a little higher standard on the paint. But operational readiness for a mission during a sea cruise is more the driving force on a carrier than keeping the CAG bird looking spotless. So even their will wear about the same as the rest of the fleet unless they spend most of their time as hangar queens. During an operational sea cruise, the CAG bird tends to get just as much flight hours as the rest of the planes since it is very rare for a pilot to ever fly the jet "assigned" to him (i.e. the plane with his name painted on the side). If the unit is not on deployment and back at home (or attending some sort of land based exercise), THEN I would expect a CAG bird to be kept to a higher standard in paint than a line bird.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2016 at 11:42 PM, Darren Roberts said:

You're going to have a very different experience building this Tomcat. It literally falls together. I still have 17 Monogram kits to build, but I'm seriously wondering if I can bring myself to build them after seeing how easy the Tamiya kit is.

Hello Darren

I just posted some thing that might intrest you on the hyperscale forum...didn't know it was you with all those Monogram  Cats...

Tamiya Gives you their own paint brand call outs which from the rattle can are almost semi-gloss. I highly recommend the Tamiya Rattle can paints especially if you can decant them and spray them through your Airbrush. They are, to me, the best paints on the market. not talking color matches but for smooth finish,extremely durable and fast drying they are hard to beat...

12 hours ago, viper730 said:

I highly recommend the Tamiya Rattle can paints especially if you can decant them and spray them through your Airbrush. They are, to me, the best paints on the market.

There's a marketing idea there...

professionally decanted Tamiya spray paints...for those who don't want to stink up their own workshops ;-)

On 20.10.2016 at 2:12 PM, HomeBe said:

And something tells me B), KASL Hobby (http://www.shop2000.com.tw/KASLHOBBY/) is working on a resin wing set with separate flaps & slats for the Tamiya's Tomcat.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/KASLHOBBY/posts/1408797602482154  

14657264_1408797369148844_36007029469723

V.P.

I wonder how much that set will be in the end...especially with the prices for HB Tomcats now dropping quite a bit! Here on Ebay Germany HB Ctas can be bought for under 50EUR now...and they woould provide wings and lots of other goddies to be salvaged from them...

cheers

Uwe

27 minutes ago, anj4de said:

I wonder how much that set will be in the end...especially with the prices for HB Tomcats now dropping quite a bit! Here on Ebay Germany HB Ctas can be bought for under 50EUR now...and they woould provide wings and lots of other goddies to be salvaged from them...

cheers

Uwe

Well, it bears repeating that those slats and flaps of the HB wings really are quite inaccurate and need a lot of work to look right.

So IMHO the HB plastic is not all that hot...

2 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Well, it bears repeating that those slats and flaps of the HB wings really are quite inaccurate and need a lot of work to look right.

I guess you are right, Anders...just finished reading your build thread that ended unsuccessfully...no wonder then that the HB and also the more comman versions of the HG Tomcat drop in price. I personally do not need the multi part wings anyway since my birds are usually build in parking config...

thanks

Uwe

To add to the HB kit and what Anders said, showed and tried...the wrong intakes! The cross section should be a rectangle, so 90 degree agles everywhere. Even with adjusting the lower edge the HB intake wil be sort of off! Its more a parallelogram...

f-14a_159631_13_of_61_zpsjxeq2t51.jpg

f-14a_161134_32_of_93_zpsvtfrlavy.jpg

cheers

Uw4e

3 hours ago, anj4de said:

To add to the HB kit and what Anders said, showed and tried...the wrong intakes! The cross section should be a rectangle, so 90 degree agles everywhere. Even with adjusting the lower edge the HB intake wil be sort of off! Its more a parallelogram...

Indeed so, Uwe.

On top of that the intake internals are made up from a pretty hopeless mix of ill-fitting parts. Tried to fix those areas on my HB build but was never 100% happy with them. Well, no more. :rolleyes:

23 minutes ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Indeed so, Uwe.

On top of that the intake internals are made up from a pretty hopeless mix of ill-fitting parts. Tried to fix those areas on my HB build but was never 100% happy with them. Well, no more. :rolleyes:

Two words....intake covers!:thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Alpagueur said:

HB has the unique advantage of some opened bays and flapped wings

Flapped wings... yes, that is true.

And not to beat a dead horse (hey, this was fun!) but there it ends, as those features look rather bad and therefor their usefulness is IMHO rather questionable.

On 2016-11-05 at 6:06 PM, Anders_Isaksson said:

• 4 weeks later...

I have developed and selling kabuki masks for this beauty. Masks can be ordered directly from me at tom.nwkits@seznam.cz, you can find them at http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/indexmasks.htm, they are also on their way to my bussiness partners in Europe and USA.
I am ofering 3 masks sets:
NWAM0072 BASIC - aircraft canopy and wheels
NWAM0073 EXPERT - aircraft canopy including interior masking and wheels
NWAM0074 EXTERIOR - exhaust nozzles, antiglare shield, win...g flaps.
On my webpage you can find also another 71 masks, ussually for 1/48 modern era aircrafts.

nwam0072man.JPG

At this time masks are available from Victory Models only, the parcel with masks I will send him this week, so he will have them available some 3 weeks from now. At this moment you can order masks directly from me, air mail takes ussually 1-2 weeks, postage is less than 4 USD for registered priority mail, I am guaranting that you will get my goods - if not, I will send you replacement. Please look at my webpage at http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/indexmasks.htm .

4 hours ago, Tomas Kladiva said:

At this time masks are available from Victory Models only, the parcel with masks I will send him this week, so he will have them available some 3 weeks from now. At this moment you can order masks directly from me, air mail takes ussually 1-2 weeks, postage is less than 4 USD for registered priority mail, I am guaranting that you will get my goods - if not, I will send you replacement. Please look at my webpage at http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/indexmasks.htm .

Thanks!

The first set of Eduard Tomact wheels for the Tamiya bird is already available...

http://www.ebay.de/itm/401237046129?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

...but unfortunately they are the later style..! I ordered them anyway. I am really looking fwd to this set though:

http://defmodel.com/catalog/htm/ds48009.html

Unfortunately I have not received any response yet to my e-mail about the availability.

cheers

Uwe