Does anybody have the Tomcat comparison I did a few years ago? I've tried to locate it on my computer files, but I can't seem to find it. I know I posted on here, but the search function has been less than helpful. Thanks for any help. I really don't want to start over!

Edit: Never mind, I found it. It was on the main page. I need to add the Hobby Boss, Tamiya, and AMK kits to it now.

Edited by Darren Roberts

Hey Darren, if you update that, it also might be a good idea to include a mention of the tweaks and the ordnance that Academy added to their F-14A "Bombcat" release, given that they give you LANTIRN and some nice air to ground weaponry in the kit (plus the braces added to the tail molds). It also might be worth noting that Hasegawa to date still has the only wide beaver tail option in styrene for 1/48 scale (if you can find the kit that is).

Hey Darren, if you update that, it also might be a good idea to include a mention of the tweaks and the ordnance that Academy added to their F-14A "Bombcat" release, given that they give you LANTIRN and some nice air to ground weaponry in the kit (plus the braces added to the tail molds). It also might be worth noting that Hasegawa to date still has the only wide beaver tail option in styrene for 1/48 scale (if you can find the kit that is).

That's a great idea, Jay. I can't believe it's been so long since I wrote it up! It's kind of like reading reviews in old Detail and Scale books. Kits we once thought were the top of the heap suddenly seem pedestrian years later. When I revamp it, I'm going to adjust the scores and drop Hasegawa to an 8/10. Tamiya will be a 9/10, maybe a 9.5/10. We'll see if AMK can hit a perfect score.

yep! c'mon Darren... you can :thumbsup:

When I revamp it, I'm going to adjust the scores and drop Hasegawa to an 8/10. Tamiya will be a 9/10, maybe a 9.5/10. We'll see if AMK can hit a perfect score.

I'd drop the Italeri kit to a 5.5 (fwd fuselage totally wrong in section -too thin and circular, instead of fat pear shaped- plus simplified undercarriage) and Hasegawa to a 8

Edited by Alpagueur

Cool, I'll go take a look after your update.

I am pretty much a "Tomcat newby" even after all these years.

But, I'll still bring a bag of peanuts with me when I look at your article.

One thing I could see being done would be perhaps doing it in two parts. The first one could cover the F-14A kits and the second one would cover the GE powered F-14B and D kits. Reason why I think that might be a good idea is not all companies who have done Tomcats in 1/48 have done both versions and as I see it, AMK might not go the A route for a bit any more than Tamiya might be doing a D anytime soon given how they tend to spread their releases out over multiple years. The only companies that have done all three versions have been Revell/Monogram, Hasegawa and Hobby Boss (possibly Italeri as well, although their "D" is likely forgettable).

I know what you mean about Detail and Scale. I have several on my shelf and reference them frequently. Of course, some of the subjects they covered STILL have not much in the way of decent kits available depending on the scale.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Solo said:

Thanks Solo. I missed that somehow. My, it's a strange world we live in. So many F-14 kits. 😲

Edited by Mstor
correct spelling error