Was there a 2016 IPMS Convention decal sheet?

Cliff and Phantom,

First off Thanks Cliff for the link to the decal and second I want to apologize to you Phantom for hijacking your thread for the following statement:

Please don't get me wrong, folks for what I am about to say. But I would have loved to have been able to attend the IPMS Nationals in South Carolina this year since I am only a state away in Alabama and have traveled farther to past Nationals contests. But my current financial and job situation precluded me from attending this year. However I must send kudos to Gordo and the fine folks at Sprue Brothers who have made the IPMS decal sheet and booklet available so soon after the contest. For me it has took a lot of the sting out of not being able to attend the show.

Thanks to all of you guys!!

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Could have ended your question at, "Was there a 2016 Nats?"

No pre-Nats ramp up chatter.

No banter on the page.

No pics posted.

No vendor room score threads or pictures.

No news whatsoever on the Nats.

No albums posted of the event, anywhere.

It's hard to know it even happened. I've been noticing this trend for a few years. I'm tempted to say it's the continual death spiral of the event. I seriously wonder how many more years they'll be able to pull off Nats.

There was some news and pics in the Jet Modeling forum here under the Z-M F4J Phantom header and some pics. But like you say not much.I guess the attendees don't like to share anymore. But then we modelers seem to be a dying group.

No banter on the page.

No pics posted.

It's hard to know it even happened. I've been noticing this trend for a few years. I'm tempted to say it's the continual death spiral of the event. I seriously wonder how many more years they'll be able to pull off Nats.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but could you not have started a thread about it as much as anyone? Unless your observation wasn't a complaint per-se, in that case no harm no foul. But trends (or lack of trends) are started (or not started) by one person. Just sayin'

Bill

Edited by niart17

Well, there is this new fangled thing called "Social Media"

FB page for 2016 NATS

And I don't really care if you choose or choose not to FB. I'm just sayin' that I've noticed a lot of content (shows, chatter about shows, new product announcements, builds etc.) gets posted on FB/Social Media and not scale model forums. Again, nothing scientific, just seems to be a trend.

Another trend. Dying hobby? Could be. More kits seem to get released. I've noticed in my little square of the country that a hobby shop closed and an online retailer now has the inventory for sale. Show entries in general seem to be up some years and down others.

Changing, Yes. Dying? Hard to say...no change at all is a pretty good sign of "death"

Edited by Sabre Freak

It was a hoot, the contest room was as packed as usual, and I thought even better stuff was displayed. As for social events, everyone had a lot to choose from. The vendor room seemed a bit slower, but it was a solid event...

Jeff

Please don't take this the wrong way, but could you not have started a thread about it as much as anyone? Unless your observation wasn't a complaint per-se, in that case no harm no foul. But trends (or lack of trends) are started (or not started) by one person. Just sayin'

Well, it was more of an observation. However, considering I had absolutely nothing to do with Nats this year, zero involvement, couldn't attend, and was nowhere near the convention, any posts I made would've consisted solely of, "Anybody hear anything about Nats this year?" Seems like a bit of waste, as I'm sure there were other folks with the same thought.

I get it, this is no longer the preferred communication medium for exchanging thoughts on the hobby. However, I'm just surprised there was NO ONE at the Nats representing ARC.

There were plenty of people from ARC there. And Z-Five, HS, MM, 1/72 Aircraft forum, etc.

There are multiple threads with a lot of photos on HS, and a thread full of model pics on 1/72 Aircraft. The new Tomcat and Phantom models have threads here on ARC as well. (those two are not in my scale, but, wow, those will be great kits to build for those that are into 1/48)

I will probably not see a lot of the photos that are posted on FB, because I made the choice of where to hang out, but, they are supposed to be there as well.

And IPMS and FSM were there taking their usual photos,,,,,those will be displayed however they choose to someday. (as usual the IPMS folks are getting naps and finding homes for forgotten models, etc)

ps, I am with you Jay, the hobby needs to live until after Omaha, Phoenix and Chattanooga. This is the first time since I started "Natsing" that a Nats will actually be in my area)

Edited by Rex

No banter on the page.

I think there was a decent amount on ARC and HS, I don't belong to any other boards nor FB so I might have missed some there.

Thankfully this year there was an absence of "Why did IPMS pick ______ for the nats? They should have picked _____ ?" posts, those get old.

I think this one caught more of the die-hard attendees than ones did at Orlando or Anaheim. Not that it's a bad thing, just that those seemed to catch people that normally wouldn't go but could because it was in a resort or destination city and they made it a family vacation.

No pics posted.

Patience young padwan, they are starting to filter in as people get home.

Deals seemed few and far between from what I've read, and the news level was about average. Though that seemed to be more of announcements prior to the nats in the vein of "come see our new items!" kind of news.

Ken

No banter on the page.

No pics posted.

It was a pretty solid event this year, at a really great venue and location. I can only speak for myself in saying, I didn't bother even taking my camera with me because I didn't want to spend time snapping and uploading photos...besides that, there was this place called "World of Beers" right next door to the venue and hotel, so I wasn't exactly spending evenings in my room uploading pics and such!

Vendor room was solid, I scored a GWH T-33A, Kinetic Sea Harrier and Revell PV1 all for very decent prices...and NO SHIPPING :)/>/> Aside from that I picked up a bunch of decals and accessories. There were grumblings about the lack of C-54s available but I guess there were some on the first day (Wed) that got snatched up quick.

That being said, Facebook had pretty good up to date coverage as does Hyperscale in the days immediately following, in fact the IPMS slide show/winners presentation in it's entirety is already linked up for anyone who wants to see what won in each category.

As far as future Nats (in the U.S.) go...yup, I think they're numbered. That was a topic of discussion over beers one night. The major demographic was middle aged to pre-senior citizen white guys in cargo shorts, no surprises there. IPMS, or anyone else, is not going to get kids and teens into model building anytime soon. But I see the event happening for at least another 20, maybe 30 years?? I'm 46, so I hope I have at least 20 more years of building in me.