Colored stars 1/48 ???

Hello

an odd request but I am looking for lot of colored stars. The ones used on the Furball sheet 1/48 Air Wing All-Stars Tomcats Part One, or 1/48 McDonnel Douglas F-4 Phantom II Air Wing All Stars are the exact ones.

2x 12 stars are used on this sheet (VF-142), 2x 16 on the phantom sheet.

Quite open for suggestions as I need 100 of em (sort of).

Mayby someone has an idea?

It is for a special HB-XDP heli paint version. I am really trying figuring out how to get this realized.

- I looked for Archer decals, dry decals is the best way but too expensive (just a few on the sheet)

-Letraset, would be great but ?? costly shipping for me

-Mehusla Decals its Alps not of use.

Rgds,

Duncan

Edited by cag_200
an odd request but I am looking for lot of colored stars. The ones used on the Furball sheet 1/48 Air Wing All-Stars Tomcats Part One, or 1/48 McDonnel Douglas F-4 Phantom II Air Wing All Stars are the exact ones.

2x 12 stars are used on this sheet (VF-142), 2x 16 on the phantom sheet.

Quite open for suggestions as I need 100 of em (sort of).

Mayby someone has an idea?

It is for a special HB-XDP heli paint version. I am really trying figuring out how to get this realized.

- I looked for Archer decals, dry decals is the best way but too expensive (just a few on the sheet)

-Letraset, would be great but ?? costly shipping for me

-Mehusla Decals its Alps not of use.

I found an old picture of HB-XDP full of stars, and it seems they are all placed on white areas. That means you can do without a white background, because the model provides it. So you could print them yourself on clear decal sheet. Alternatively you can have the stars custom-printed on an Alps, there are plenty of custom printers who can do that for you for a decent price. Very sharp printing, gold and silver metallics can be done too, but a limited palette if you want solid printed decals instead of dither printing.

Rob

Thanks Rob

I don't like ALPS on full film.I might try it on decal sheet and have it laser printed.

Masks is the 2nd option and I found this: sticky film, my guess the stars are 2 to 3 mm wide.

I can airbrush the stars over the white.

The stars painted on HB-XDB are smaller so I still have a problem.... perfect star would measure 1 mm for 1/48 shown here.

HB-XDP_zpsjbkgkkwh.jpg

MaskStar_zpsdgykzd0n.jpg

I got this for 0.25 ct, free shipping, for test material.

s-l1600_zpse616r8s9.jpg

Dry transfers...great but at ebay it charges me 27 USD shipping.. _)(*&(*&^!

Stars_zpsvh8uutic.jpg

Then this $4 each. A mask, 13 x 13 mm. I bet the smallest star is 2 mm.

Edited by cag_200
I don't like ALPS on full film.I might try it on decal sheet and have it laser printed.

Masks is the 2nd option and I found this: sticky film, my guess the stars are 2 to 3 mm wide.

I can airbrush the stars over the white.

The stars painted on HB-XDB are smaller so I still have a problem.... perfect star would measure 1 mm for 1/48 shown here.

I got this for 0.25 ct, free shipping, for test material.

Dry transfers...great but at ebay it charges me 27 USD shipping.. _)(*&(*&^!

Then this $4 each. A mask, 13 x 13 mm. I bet the smallest star is 2 mm.

Any decal custom printed (Alps, laser or ink jet) will be on a full page film, so that doesn't make a difference. I would go for Alps, they are very nice.

Masks: you can cut them on a relatively cheap Silhouette plotter-cutter. One of our club members uses one to do nearly all markings of 1/48 aircraft. Two examples:

He will give a presentation on the subject in October - you're welcome :-) But I don't think 1 mm stars are easy, that is very small.

A photo-etched mask is another option. Again there are plenty of custom photo etchers.

Of the three options above, I would go for decals, that's for sure. If you hate full page film that much, you could have custom printed decals cut with a Silhouette plotter-cutter. Just cut through the decal film, not the paper thickness. A Silhouette will recognise alignment markings on the decal sheet, so it can be done. But I don't know anyone who offers both services.

Rob

Hey Rob

1 mm is small, i checked for My link but their limit is 5 mm.

PE masks no, why? the heli's shape.

Much appreciated for your suggestions here Rob, i might go for the ALP's.

Do you know someone who will accept a run or 3 in the netherlands?

In the past I could have asked Marc from starfighterdecals but he is too busy and he's done a lot for me in the past.

Hey Rob

1 mm is small, i checked for My link but their limit is 5 mm.

PE masks no, why? the heli's shape.

Much appreciated for your suggestions here Rob, i might go for the ALP's.

Do you know someone who will accept a run or 3 in the netherlands?

In the past I could have asked Marc from starfighterdecals but he is too busy and he's done a lot for me in the past.

There's a big list of custom Alps printers on my site: Design your own Alps / OKI custom decals

Fireball Modelworks in the USA is a popular choice (fast and affordable), Decal Lab and Mask Decals in Spain are the latest additions I think.

In the Netherlands you could try decals.nl. They use a big commercial printer, and what I saw looked very good. As long as you provide the artwork, they will print it. He said roughly 25 euros for an A4 sheet, which is a lot larger than many regular decal sheets.

And remember: you don't need a white background, since all stars are on white. That could reduce the price considerably.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie