RTAF 20th Anniversary F-16B

Hello All,

Here is what I am starting with...

100_8265_zpscg9nijwg.jpg

The Model Alliance decals are for an F-16B of the Royal Thai Air Force 102 Squadron's 20th Anniversary scheme. I am going to build the kit out of the box and it will be posed inflight.

I started with the cockpit, it didn't take long because there isn't much to it.

02_zps0ykps8f5.jpg

After I put some paint on it and decal the sides it should be fine. The canopy will be closed and the pilot will be in the seat. The pilot is Ok, I will have to dig another for the back seat because the kit only comes with one.

03_zps9lwmdfqp.jpg

I want to try something new with the inflight display. Usually I mount the kit to a pole and use a base. This time I bought this flat, wood photo display at Michaels. The bottom of the base was separated and rotated 90 degrees to take the weight of the kit. I am going to use a flat piece of brass and run it through the photo stand, under the kits wing and into the body of the aircraft. The following pictures will probably give a better idea of what I am shooting for.

04_zpsut441677.jpg

05_zpsuiyqx5l9.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Els

Thanks all,

Trojan Thunder I have been watching some online video's of painting clouds. I will probably do that on the side facing the aircraft and then on the back I will print out something with a pic of the real aircraft and some info about the scheme.

The brass was added to the base.

06_zpsh1ocit19.jpg

I made a bend in the end and notched out the wood so that I could epoxy it in and give it some strength. It needs a little more Bondo to smooth it out but it is just about there.

07_zpsgek4dmmc.jpg

The poor pilot had to have his legs chopped to fit in the cockpit. I also built a small styrene box to insert inside the aircraft to accept the brass and make the connection stronger.

08_zpsv8odzpoj.jpg

The cockpit was painted and the wing attached so that I can work on the internals.

09_zpsfb22bwrt.jpg

Its moving along, slowly...

Els

I was able to get quite a bit done on this over my days off. Here is a shot showing how the base runs under the left wing and into the wood.

10_zpsnnwu8ysr.jpg

The base was painted blue. It is a little darker than I would like but I wanted a difference between the aircraft and the background.

11_zpsm0fsv5ts.jpg

This is where I found out why my name is not Picaso. After watching several video's of painting clouds, I thought I would easily be able to paint a cloudy background. I was wrong...

12_zpskbsbrebk.jpg

That was terrible so I stripped it back off. I think I will just print a cloud background and glue it on.

Canopy taped up.

13_zpsihxlyr8s.jpg

Color is on, and everything is moving along smoothly... A little to smoothly...

14_zpskgp3hwpj.jpg

Time for a wash to bring out panel lines, etc.

15_zpsmyrcefew.jpg

This is where smoothly went out the window. I did not wait long enough for the Future to cure and the wash bonded with the Future. I could not get the wash off and it looked horrible. Then I found a new use for Future. A cotton bud was dipped in Future and that cut right through the wash and removed it very nicely.

A few decals were added but my rush with the wash has come back to bite me again. Even though I was able to remove most of the wash it darkened the light gray enough that I cannot see the gray stencils over the lighter gray.

16_zpsvbnru7au.jpg

I am not sure what kit these decals were sized for but they are a little big for the Hasegawa kit.

That is it for the next few days because I am back to work.

Els

Well I am calling another one done. I am pretty happy with it but it has some problems. Since it is an older kit it doesn't have some of the updates like the bird slicers and other bits. I put the decals on the top of the aircraft before I put the do not step lines down. Since they looked bad over the top of the lettering I just decided to leave them off. And as I said before the wash darkened up the gray to the point that some of the decals cannot be seen. I was hoping that when I dull coated the kit it would lighten up the gray enough to see the stencils but it did not. My main reason for this build was to experiment with a new in flight base idea and I like the way that turned out. I will post more pictures in the completed section.

18_zpsoxhjo8gj.jpg

Thanks for following along and keeping me motivated.

Els

• 4 months later...