Helicopter tie rotor tie downs?

I'm working on a project for a friend that flew AH-1Ws in Afghanistan, I'm debating adding the covers that would slip over the tips of the main rotors and then were tied to the forward area of the landing gear braces? (not sure what they're specifically called) does anyone have any ideas for how to make these? I was thinking of using some kind of either red cloth, rubber, latex? Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about this?

Thanks

Dan

I'm working on a project for a friend that flew AH-1Ws in Afghanistan, I'm debating adding the covers that would slip over the tips of the main rotors and then were tied to the forward area of the landing gear braces? (not sure what they're specifically called) does anyone have any ideas for how to make these? I was thinking of using some kind of either red cloth, rubber, latex? Does anyone have any ideas about how to go about this?

Thanks

Dan

Dan,

I may try tissue, either facial or wrapping tissue dipped in water thinned white glue.. Use the kit rotor as a master.. I've made some great exhaust, intake covers in the past this way, and it is cheap & easy!!

Once it dries it's pretty hard and takes red paint well!

Thanks

Dan

Dan, I flew Sea Kings for a number of years in the Canadian Forces. We called the tie-downs you describe "blade boots". The boots were made of canvas with a metal stiffener at the base. They were attached to the landing gear tie-down rings with nylon rope (sometimes the rope was gray and sometimes yellow). The boots were light gray.

Paul