Ok so I've found a 1/72 Hobbrycraft CF-105 in my stash

I had completely forgotten about it,I've read that they upgraded the tooling for two or three times and mine is the first tooling,still don't know if all pieces are there but in the mess of my spare decals I've found his set of decals but not the instructions.

I've seen one of the later tooling selling for crazy prices on ebay so I contacted Hobbycraft asking them if they were still up and willing to sell one of their updated boxes with no avail.I was thinking to fix the old tooling but I completely have a momentary lack of references cause HD died years ago and I was sure that it contained a set of 1/72 plans on it,but whatever which places of the old tool do need a fix?

Well, it's an interesting scratch-building opportunity. I used the CF-105 Arrow book, which includes 1:72 plans. It's been a while, but off the top of my head I made the following changes:

• Scratch built vertical tail
  • Cut the ailerons from each wing and replaced left for right and visa versa to get actuators on bottom of wing
  • Made fuselage deeper, which required deepening the intakes and replacing the nozzles.
  • Built up nose to make the radome the correct shape.
  • Basically I changed pretty much everything on the jet except the canopy!

A couple of pics of the result:

130814-4CF105leftnose_zps89966aec.jpg

130814-2CF105RRQ_zps725d914b.jpg

thanks but about the wings I've read somewhere that they were effed up and needed a chord fix or something along the lines,I do not have those 1/72 plans anymore,probably I will try to fetch them from some shady russian websites but the if the tooling requires a complete overhaul I would rather spend some time asking friends to visit their LHS and fetch the updated kit for me

The first two issues were done in Korea and the third in China, with the third being the best but I believe it is sold out now. Hobbycraft do not do their own molds and often have a falling out with the mold maker such that stuff disappears from their line. I don't know who holds the latest mold but it was an improvement over the others and the best available in injection molding so it would make sense to run it again if it is sold out but Hobbycraft doesn't always do things that make sense and are frankly a poorly run company that last I heard was only selling this new kit and old stock till they sold out the new kit and then no one could really get anything from them. I'm not even sure if they are still in business and know we can't get the new Arrow kit in Canada any more so good luck finding one. Hope you have luck but I hope that whoever has the mold (In China somewhere no doubt) could somehow see to re-releasing this kit.....

Cheers

Bruce

Thank you,I've seen a user on Britmodeller forums partially fixing it but the overhaul touches the canopy too and I'm not into vacuform,he also extended the fixes on main fuselage width,intakes,nose length,vertical stab needs to be redo and what not.

Too much for my tastes,will lurk on worldwide marketplaces hoping to find one

Mizar,

Do yourself a HUGE favor and don't even think about the Hobbycrap kit. Set up an eBay search and get the Astra CF-105 or failing that, the VP vac. I say this as they are at least accurate unlike Hobbycrap and a far cheaper option. The Astra comes with 1/72 fold out plans and decals! I scored mine for a paltry $15US!

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

I started the original version thinking that the only thing that needed attention was correcting the position of the actuators but asking a question on Britmodeller opened a can of worms that revealed that almost everything needed correction. The finished article and full story can be found here.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940353-avro-arrow-a-correct-version-of-the-hobbycraft-172-kit-i-hope/

Someone described it as being 'scratchbuilt using the original parts as rough cut blanks'

John