Thanks, Martin.

It looks and feels like a really great kit.

I have seen Revell of Germany boxings of this kit at shows for 10 Euros or less.

I wonder what she'll look like sitting next to an Eduard kit, I mean how noticeable is the shortness of the fuselage going to be.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

The project is still alive.:thumbsup:

I have a colour photograph of the subject... it raises a few issues, but I have made my mind up on how I'm going to build it.

The picture shows the aircraft late in its service. They only had that red rectangle on the nose for a few months before they stopped operating Spitfires. There is also a mighty big patch of red mission marks behind the red rectangle. These are not on the decal sheet. I don't have suitable little red camera shaped decals, so I'm going to build her as at the start of her service (without the red rectangle).

In the photograph, she also has a blue spinner. The other colour photographs of the squadron's Spitfires show yellow spinners. I'll build her with the blue spinner, although that's somewhat gambling that she did not start out with a yellow spinner and got a blue spinner in the end.

I worked on the cockpit yesterday and hope to close up the fuselage before the week-end is over.

Cheers, Stefan.   

Hi,

The fuselage is now closed up.

I saw that the kit has options for a fixed and a retractable tail wheel. In my boxing, the retractable parts (A5,6,9,10 and G19) are marked as not be used. I read that the first 45 PR Mk XI's had fixed tailwheels, MB 794 being the first with the retractable tailwheel. So, I'll use the retractable tailwheel for my MB948.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The Spitfire is putting up quite a fight. The resin replacement panels were straighter than the wing's upper curvature and a bit smaller than the Hasegawa parts. So, there is some putty there.

I'll have to find a windscreen without armoured glass that fits the Hasegawa kit too. Luckily, I should have some time between now and January 1st.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Thanks for watching and for running the GB, Darwin.

Yesterday, I sprayed the spinner in a nice blue. At least something is going to look good.:rolleyes:

I sprayed the remainder of the paint on the leading edges of the wing...the gunthroughs became clearly visible. More putty and sanding.

Stefan.