ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Jeff M.

Punch & Die Set for 1/48 Size Decal Instrument Dials?

What would be the right size range for a punch and die set to cut out instrument dial decals?

Thanks,

Jeff

As John said,

Waldron is the one to get. If you're going to be punching decals, the Waldron clear plastic over its metal base method is the easiest way to work with, on the contrary to, for instance, the UMM-USA one.

And if the Waldron set price spooks you, there's another choice marketed by Micro-Mark which is sold at more or less the same price.

Waldron also offers a sub-miniature set.

Do you need to punch all the way through the decal sheet - or just enough to break the surface carrier layer?

Seems like punching all the way through would scratch / mar the markings themselves.

As John said,

Waldron is the one to get. If you're going to be punching decals, the Waldron clear plastic over its metal base method is the easiest way to work with, on the contrary to, for instance, the UMM-USA one.

And if the Waldron set price spooks you, there's another choice marketed by Micro-Mark which is sold at more or less the same price.

Waldron also offers a sub-miniature set.

The Micro-Mark one is what I have. Never punched instrument dial decals, but it has worked like a charm for everything I've used it for since I got it.

RP Toolz have a couple of nice sets also; they appear to sell a little cheaper than the benchmark Waldron ones in some countries and are very high quality. For this specific purpose, however, you might need both sets to cover everything in a 1/48 instrument sheet, so Waldron may still have the edge!

I have been looking for a good P&D set fore some time. I build 1/48 WWII, 1/72 jets and 1/700 ships so have a need for a large range of discs and holes.

Has anyone here had experience with any of these?

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_145&products_id=5581

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_145&products_id=5658

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_145&products_id=7040

Each is only $50.99 at UMM-USA and have more sizes than most I have seen.

Do you need to punch all the way through the decal sheet - or just enough to break the surface carrier layer?

Seems like punching all the way through would scratch / mar the markings themselves.

I've never had issues with damaging decals. I have the Waldron set and have used them on ALPS decals and regular ones.

Cheers

Emil

I put some thin scrap acetate over decals before punching- and I save the clear discs, too.

On 8/24/2016 at 1:14 PM, chukw said:

I put some thin scrap acetate over decals before punching- and I save the clear discs, too.

I'll have to give that a try.