Trumpeter SU-11

Hi,

basically the kit goes together well. There are just a few things to watch out:

• Main Landing gear: The legs are slightly "toed in" if installed as is. You can try to bend them into the correct position.

• Cockpit: A bit simplified (and not entirely correct?). Red Star has announced a replacement as a future release (or you build the canopy closed and don't worry about it).

• Exhaust: Extremely simplified compared to the real thing. Red Star resin item is almost a must.

• Nose/Shock cone: The diameter is too big at the back and blocks basically the whole intake. It is not really visible as long you don't look down the intake.

Well, that were my observations. Experts may find more but I was otherwise pleased with the kit. Definitely one of the better efforts of Trumpeter.

Cheers

Markus

Hi,

basically the kit goes together well. There are just a few things to watch out:

• Main Landing gear: The legs are slightly "toed in" if installed as is. You can try to bend them into the correct position.

• Cockpit: A bit simplified (and not entirely correct?). Red Star has announced a replacement as a future release (or you build the canopy closed and don't worry about it).

• Exhaust: Extremely simplified compared to the real thing. Red Star resin item is almost a must.

• Nose/Shock cone: The diameter is too big at the back and blocks basically the whole intake. It is not really visible as long you don't look down the intake.

Well, that were my observations. Experts may find more but I was otherwise pleased with the kit. Definitely one of the better efforts of Trumpeter.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus

I'm about 95 percent done with mine. My impression is that it was definitely engineered by Trumpeter's "A Team". Compared to the journey I took building their 1/48 Vigilante, this thing was a welcome change for the good. Here are my thoughts:

- The cockpit is pretty good for OOB Trumpeter, though the KS-3 seat seems a little misproportioned.

- My main landing gear struts were toed out as well, and I had to do some last minute adjustments to make them look right.

- The shock cone sits too far forward as the locator tabs would have you attach it. I shaved the factory tabs off and made new ones a few mm farther forward. The result looks much better compared to reference photos.

- Fishpots normally carried a mix of 1 IR and 1 Radar R-98 missile... the kit comes with 2 radar R-98s only. I bought two pair of each flavor off of eBay (mfgr is AeroLine), and now I have a pair for my Su-15 kit as well...

- Last thing is the "Odd Rods" on the bottom fuselage are precariously placed right on the fuselage half seam. I knew I was going to break them off, but so far I've dodged that bullet.

Overall I really, really enjoyed building this kit. I am having some NMF issues that are of my own doing, but this is a great little kit that really looks good on the shelf.

I just wish Trumpeter would do the SU-7 in a bigger scale like 1/32..... That plane saw plenty of action in multiple wars and their are loads of marking options. Seems I always have to wait literally decades to get the ones I want. You listening Trumpeter??