MH-60S loaded for bear

Interesting image of an MH-60S assigned to HSC-14 aboard the USS Stennis from its recently completed cruise. The new M197 cannon pod on the left side and a 19-shot rocket pod on the right. There's also a .50 caliber machine gun (likely a GAU-18/A) poking out of the right side cabin doorway. From http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=96145

160807-N-UI104-429.JPG

Good pic. The ESSS wings are a newer version than in the Academy 1/35 kit as well. The tips slope downward. Also, it looks as the M200 pod is angled out (or maybe lower?) to give more room for the .50 cal doorgun.

Might just be a trick of the light, too. Here's some more pics of an MH-60S with rocket pods. You can see what actually looks like a door-mounted GAU-21/A again in the second pic.

Rocket armed MH-60S

Hydra70 in LAU-61C/A Rocket Launcher

Also, in both cases this should be an USAF/USN LAU-61C/A or D/A pod rather than an Army pod of any kind.

Edited by thatguy96

Might just be a trick of the light, too. Here's some more pics of an MH-60S with rocket pods. You can see what actually looks like a door-mounted GAU-21/A again in the second pic.

Rocket armed MH-60S

Hydra70 in LAU-61C/A Rocket Launcher

The pictures you linked to use the standard ESSS wings that are also used by the US Army and what is in the Academy kit. The ones in the initial pic are different (tips turned down), as is the connection for the rocket pod (possibly angled out).

Edited by HeavyArty

Hey-

I'm pretty sure it's just the lighting in the original picture. As far as I know the Navy has not changed the wings on the MH-60S from the original install. (I manage the flight manuals for the Navy H-60's, so I would see it there was a change.)

The rocket pod is either a LAU-61C/A for firing unguided rockets or the new LAU-61G/A DRL (Digital Rocket Launcher) for firing APKWS.

Nice picture!

Phil

• 2 months later...