Egyptian army T-54 conversion

Here is my current "on the bench" project; a 1/35 Tamiya T-55 which I'm modifying into a T-54. I've decided to do it as an Egyptian army tank as it would have appeared in the 1973 Yom Kippur war. I've added the Egyptian modifications to the baseline T-54 which included a stowage rack on the back of the turret and the big AEG Telefunken searchlight alongside the main gun tube. For the T-54 conversion I used "Tankworkshop" resin conversion kit for the back engine deck, exhaust and turret ventilator. The road-wheels are also being used as they are the early spider type and very nicely molded. I was going to use the provided aluminum barrel without fume extractor, but was advised that Egypt apparently didn't have the type with the counter-weight on the end of the barrel. I used the kit barrel. Anyway here are some photos of what I've done, up to now.

DSCN5751_zpsvhpaah7a.jpg

DSCN5753_zpsxkotj4k0.jpg

DSCN5779_zps0kp3cqjo.jpg

DSCN5785_zpsvlmk5oky.jpg

DSCN5797_zpsppz3jzsu.jpg

DSCN5796_zpsboyc9xjs.jpg

DSCN5799_zps2xe6pydj.jpg

I'll keep posting photos as I progress through the project.

Ed Okun/ Frogman-13

Edited by frogman13

I'll probably do a multi-color camouflage pattern, something along the lines of these captured tanks seen after the 1973 war.

T54-0001%20-%20Copy_zpsjlivnxyd.jpg

Noice!! Didn't think they cammo'd their armor, thought only the Syrians did. Nice choice for a paint scheme.

Looking forward to more updates.

Ed, if the gray items are TWS and the green Tamiya, what are the Tan items, ESCI? My interest is similar but a T-62 with the SAKR rockets.

Regards,

Oh Yeah, I should have mentioned, because I'd been asked that before. The tan items are from the Tamiya Tiran-5 kit which I had an extra and was using as a "donor" for parts. I had bought 2 kits for a great deal when they first released and already built one Tiran, so when I needed some parts that became my source. The searchlight by the way came from the Revell Leopard-1 which was equipped with exactly the one I needed so saving some time in scratchbuilding parts. The ISKARA laser range-finder on the top of the turret was scratched up from styrene strip and putty. Here's another photo showing where I'm at with the build.

DSCN5803_zpsbjploygn.jpg

DSCN5802_zpsrpbbhclh.jpg

DSCN5801_zpsgdlrkbep.jpg

DSCN5818_zpsockchvs0.jpg

DSCN5814_zps9beg2ruv.jpg

Here's the layout of one of the actual tanks as appeared in 1973 war. Knocked out and burned but with all the mods.

70_zpsjxgbbngh.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had some time over the last few days to get some work done on this model and I'm already imagining which color scheme I'll apply.

That's a sure sign that I'm nearly at the finish of the project. Most of the hard work is done. Last thing I'll fabricate the smoke drums and attachment points to the back hull plate.

DSCN5842_zps0mvjdnfk.jpg

DSCN5854_zpsoybrqbqb.jpg

DSCN5856_zpskvg32dzw.jpg

DSCN5855_zpse1blgjey.jpg

I'll post more photos as this moves to the finale..:-)

• 2 weeks later...