Interested in a Kit-Review of the Mach2 1/72 Learjet 35?

Learjet 35 "Swiss Airforce" in 1:72 by Mach2

Model: Learjet 35

Amnufacturer: Mach2

Scale: 1:72

Art. No. : GP 058

Price ca. : 25 Euro

(Review first published at www.modellboard.net)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/939742-mach-2-gp-058-learjet-swiss-airforce

IMG_6208_zpsnjd4jahg.jpg

Description:

This is a review of the Mach2 Learjet35 in Swiss Airforce-markings, 1:72 scale. The company name Mach2 is usually referred to the speed the kits reach when the modellers toss them into the trash... This kit is a fairly new product, beeing released in 2014. There is also a version with markings for a C-21 of the USAF, and the kit parts and layout indicate many more versions to come.

Unfortunately photobucket acted crazy and for some reason shows all pictures in the wrong direction... Sorry!

The kit:

IMG_6210_zpse3zw6fiv.jpg

All parts (except the clear ones) are arranged on one sprue. The plastic looks and feels a bit strange (it´s quite heavy and make sme think of gypsum), but previous experiences with this material have shown me that you can easily work with it.

IMG_6212_zps2c1dckjn.jpg

Details are present, but of course not of an excellent quality. No cabin details, and only sparse for the cockpit. Although the instrument panel is OK:

IMG_6213_zps8uoaqxmx.jpg

Typical short-run, meaning no alignment pins or other things. As one fellow modeller pointed out: "Thank god there are no alignment pins, Mach2 would have screwed them up so you´d have to remove them anyway..." ;)/>

IMG_6214_zpsps9gxhug.jpg

Notice the many different payloads that indicate further versions.

IMG_6219_zpsaj1zl6lb.jpg

I especially like these two jamming/ECM-pods, because they are used by PhoenixAir Learjets, and I plan to build my kit as one of these birds.

IMG_6215_zpsysmbyvr9.jpg

The "clear-parts" are in typical fasion for Mach2: Quite thick and somehow obscuring the view:

IMG_6216_zpsia7haf3b.jpg

The complete (!) instructions:

IMG_6217_zps3ayeq3vc.jpg

Decals:

IMG_6218_zpsddpbkrbn.jpg

Resume:

A less expensive alternative to the very pricy RVHP-kit of the Learjet35, althoug I do have my doubts that the nose section of the Mach2-kit is "good" - I have to check that. Anyone got reference?

+ Finally a "civil" businessjet in 1:72

+ Lots of potential loadouts

+/- Price OK, although too pricy when compared with the overall quality of the kit

- ShortRun in it´s worst form...

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

I'm sorry, but the photos this kit is as the modelers equivalent to gory crime scene photos. (not that your pictures where bad, it was the content of the kit.) Looking at the box art would turn me away, the nose gear is set back like a Falcon's' (SHIVER)

Hajo, many thanks for the review and the in-box pics. Especially the closeup shots. It's too bad about this kit. I figured that being a new mold, they (Mach2) would have improved. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

The company name Mach2 is usually referred to the speed the kits reach when the modellers toss them into the trash.

ani_Mumbly.gif funny1.gif

I played around with my pictures and Powerpoint to do some comparison between the kit and the original. Dumb me forgot to check for proper alingment of the original aircraft in the picture - it´s slightly angled as you can tell by looking at the main gear.

IMG_6234_zpst8k4xju3.jpg

This is the most interesting part:

IMG_6233_zpsxjaymnsy.jpg

To get a feeling for the original shape, I slipped the fuselage down a bit:

IMG_6237_zpspydpolte.jpg

I´d say: Nothing that some sanding right in front of the cockpit couldn´t cure!

HAJO

Looks like a future boxing for a JASDF build too (the extended wingtip tanks with the large bulges on the front)

I wouldn't mind having one in the stash in C-21 format. We had a pair of L-35s in our depot here in Wichita about a year ago. Sadly I didn't get a chance to photograph them.

I plan to build my Learjet 35 after the current and the following build have been finished. I´d say that will be the case about mid-september. I will do a work-in-progress of course!

HAJO

• 2 years later...