Effective Marketing of New Kit Releases

All the new releases and new companies taking different approaches to releases has me thinking about the varying marketing strategies. As in many areas I think Tamiya has a most effective approach at least in so far as it generates interest and sales upon release.

Tamiya announces a kit only when it is a few months from actual release. There is real plastic to see and you get views gradually fed to you over a week or two. Every time a new pic surfaces it gets posted and talked about. Then box art, decals and build reviews all follow in quick succession. By the time of the actual release, interest is still way up there in the hype mode and has had little to no time to simmer back down to more realistic realizations like, as for many of us, that it will sit in the closet/stash indefinitely after a few happy hours of checking it out in the box.

So many other approaches have been taken and it is interesting to me to see the differences. Some companies announce projects years before they see release. Lots of time for practical would-be buyers remorse to set in before the purchase is made. AMK's approach of inviting input in the design stage is interesting and refreshing. I think that approach does a lot to develop brand loyalty and following. Not sure that it generates the impulse buys that Tamiya can. Airfix announces development for the following year. It makes for a flood of news around christmas time but again I think they let the fire die down too much before the release date. Then again, Airfix's kits are so cheap, they may not need the extra umph from the hype to make the impulse sales. Eduard's approach seems to kill impulse sales all together. The kits seem to be fully critiqued before they ever see the light of day.

Using myself as my prime example ( :sunrevolves:/>/> ) I hardly ever buy fresh from the factory new releases. I typically prefer to wait for the sales and markdowns that come about a year or two after release if not for the bargain boxes at IPMS shows. I rarely feel the need to get to building something right away. I have been sucked into the Tamiya Tomcat hype though; I've got one on pre-order! I never pre-order! What is wrong with me; honey come quick I've been effectively marketed to!! I did get the cheap surface mail option so its not that I just have to have it in my hands ASAP but I cant help but think that I have somehow been sucked in when I normally do not.

Of course Tamiya gets a lot of attention just from their standing in the industry. Just musing on the different approaches. What do you all think? Anyone else been unwittingly Tomcatted that would normally not be? :dontknow:/>/>

:smiley-transport006:/>/>

Edited by wadeocu

I have been Tomcatted also. I didn't pre-order yet but I will definitely buy one. Even though I wouldn't have bought

another F-14, I must have it because after all, Tamiya is one of the best kit manufacturers. :soapbox: Plus I will build it!

Dean

I have been Tomcatted also. I didn't pre-order yet but I will definitely buy one. Even though I wouldn't have bought

another F-14, I must have it because after all, Tamiya is one of the best kit manufacturers. :soapbox:/> Plus I will build it!

Dean

Don't get me wrong; I'm definitely gonna build this sucker!! That's the plan, right now, while I'm still excited about a new release, gonna build it into the perfect replica you know! Well sometimes it does actually pan out, but the closet stash is much larger than the shelf display so the odds aren't in my or the model's favor - just Tamiya's. :woot.gif:

You are like me Dean. I'm not so ate up with Tomcats that Id buy a new release any time one came up. The allure of the brand definitely got me here!

The big thing to keep in mind about Tamiya is that plastic models are just ONE thing they do and it isn't necessarily the most profitable of their industries. So they have a regular revenue stream coming in (primarily from RC car marketing and sales) and that gives them the ability to keep their R&D under wraps until it is time to release the kit. Other companies do not necessarily have that luxury.

Concerning "marketing" approaches, usually they aren't necessarily geared towards the consumer (us) but rather to the distributors as that is where the money is being made directly by the company. So when a company announces something many months in advance, they are trying to generate that buzz so the distributors will do the pre-orders. Yes there is the consumer input as the subject has to be a good one that sells. If it doesn't, forget it since distributors don't like to have to dump unsold product at deep discounts (not excluding Squadron of course). Ideally, the distributors want a good unique product because if it is a home run, they will fill their orders at the prices they want to charge and make a good profit rather than being stuck with product they have to dump at discounts in a few months to a year down the road.

As for me and impulse buys, I still do them. But education is a big key. And by that I don't necessarily mean reading every review of the kit to determine if I want to buy it or not. Usually if I can see the sprue shots and decal pictures for myself, that is enough and I make the decision to buy based on what I see and what approach I plan to take with the kit. I also look at how much I am willing to spend, not just on the kit but also on what I plan to do with it. So if the kit has an obvious flaw that only resin can correct properly as opposed to relatively simple work with the provided kit parts, it becomes a big factor.

The Tamiya F-14 is one I will get since I prefer out of the box modeling to hand to hand combat with something that requires a lot of work. Some work I don't mind though, which is why I also recently picked up the Italeri 1/48 RF-4E. Sure, I know it is a new variant/re-tool of the old Esci Phantom kit as opposed to a completely new offering and I know the Esci Phantom had some issues that needed correcting. But I've built the Esci kit before and even got a True Details pit to fit in it with minimum fuss. So the price seemed good for the work involved (which I knew was coming anyway).

Edited by Jay Chladek
. So when a company announces something many months in advance, they are trying to generate that buzz so the distributors will do the pre-orders.

So if distributors are the target vice the consumers, that assertion regenerates the discussions about the "undue" influence of distributors on kit production. Is it uncommon (or not) for producers to approach distributors BEFORE starting a project to determine if the genius distributors are inclined to pre-order that particular subject? (That's a rhetorical :deadhorse1:/> )

Gene K

I will confess that I did study Marketing (as an elective) during my BA in the '90s. After finding it more a game for the 'young team', I also confess that I went at it pretty half-@$$ed and dedicated much more effort to other subjects. What did permeate into my consciousness were the subtle and extensive psychological tools employed in this dark art; factors that I can't help observing at play almost every damn day!

Most of us seem to be aware of a new 1/48 F-14 release by Tamiya. I have NOT obsessed over this; I am only mildly interested as my preferred Tomcat scale is 1/72. Of course, I read a few threads here about the thing, but that's all apart from deciding that I may break the scale habit and get the AMK monster when it appears! BUT...clearly the potent spell of Tamiya's presence and image, plus the nature of the subject took a toll. Because, like Scooby, the first thing -the VERY FIRST THING- that came to mind when I saw this one-word thread title was...well, you're already there, I think! Coincidence? Or the brown opiate power of Marketing...? :woot.gif:

unless this thread is just another Tamiya Tomcat Thread (the TTT syndrome) disguised ...this shouldn't be in the Jet Modeling subforum...

that being said. Jay nail it about Tamiya plastic scale modeling way of doing their things... they do it that way, mostly because they can afford it. not because other companies don't know how to...

as a scale model Forum user, mostly ARC. i must say that AMK's way of doing thing is the way to go... in phase with its time. will things take time? sure! but isn't plastic modellers aware that tooling takes longer than glueing?

Edited by mingwin

unless this thread is just another Tamiya Tomcat Thread (the TTT syndrome) disguised ...this shouldn't be in the Jet Modeling subforum...

that being said. Jay nail it about Tamiya plastic scale modeling way of doing their things... they do it that way, mostly because they can afford it. not because other companies don't know how to...

as a scale model Forum user, mostly ARC. i must say that AMK's way of doing thing is the way to go... in phase with its time. will things take time? sure! but isn't plastic modellers aware that tooling takes longer than glueing?

Tamiya kinda reminds me of a couple auto makers. You take what they want to sell with nearly zero input. Nothing wrong, and it's approach. On the otherhand we had AMK reaching out from the get go. Once again their plan. Now we see AMK putting out feelers for their next kit (s). Just a way of doing business. Never been a real Airfix fan, but have several of their kits in my stash. Looks to me like they have a zero marketing plan. Revell is similar to Airfix in marketing. Still one must remember these two companies together would be a small piece of the pie compared to Tamiya.

Years back, I gave up on Tamiya armor. Was just old kits that the competition just passed on by. The last couple years they seem to have woke up with a handful of pretty nice kits. But now they have to fight with Dragon, Takom, Meng, and now Rye Field. Plus a couple others that are seriously starting to turn out some nice kits. I'm just starting to get bored with Dragon, but have been really impressed with the last handful of Tamiya kits.

Never really been a big fan of Tamiya aircraft even though I've bought a few. I think they (for the most part) are grossly over priced. Have became a fan of the Cyber-Hobby aircraft kits. At $45 they seriously compare with the Zero and Spitfire from Tamiya. Then we get the $27 FW190 from Revell. All these kits are great right out of the box. Yet I've always had a thing for Hasegawa and Fujimi kits (1/72). I like the subject matter most of all the these two brands. Have a thing for WWII aircraft. The new Tamiya F14a looks nice, but won't buy one. Had it been a little earlier airframe; yes I would buy one. The AMK Tomcat isn't exactly what I want either. Still at $63, it's a steal. I've been on the hunt for their MIG31 for what seems like forever. I'm holding out for the new Z/M Phantom, but still love the Hasegawa 1/72 kits.

gary

You take what they want to sell with nearly zero input. Nothing wrong, and it's approach.

I'm quite sure that Tamiya used some input but third-party involvement isn't used as a promotion tool.

Obviusly marketing has been always a strong tool to boost the sales of every product and internet has become the most effective tool for that purpouse, the manufacturers just only have to set fire in a corner of a dry bush and sit in front of it to see the flames. Just think about the ice cream van, switching on the music some blocks before the school entrance, the web is the same brought to a digital era.

Call me mad but before buying kits, I like to have it in my hands and if what I see really convinces me, I'll pay for it. I'm sure that nobody buys and pays a car or a watch without even seeing it.

Edited by I.Martin

depends on the size of your wallet and world view i guess.

i never bought an iphone, any unnecessary ak/mig products nor will the tamiya tomcat (solely because of the hype going around here and by the magazine folks lately, they are all dishonest folks in my book). i might be on the minority tho... :)

If the kit manufacturers customers were limited to the bunch of people that hang around on internet forums like (but not limited to) this one, they would have to file for bankruptcy pretty soon. For a manufacturer like Tamiya we consist of just a tiny percentage of the entire market. That is why Tamiya, Trumpeter, Hobby Boss et al could not care less of our opinions regarding the kits. (and it is why manufacturers who DO care instantly get a large following of fanboys. (like myself)

A nice box art is still more important for total sales, than endorsement from ARC-goers. I actually find that rather healthy. Having a nice box art SHOULD be important! :-)

/E

I don't think much of this box art but the kit is A-1.

It´s because it's like a very exclusive wine. It is not for everybody, but a select few who know how to appreciate it. It´s not for Average Joe looking for something to att britfix and humbrol to. ;-)

This :ditto:

Tamiya kinda reminds me of a couple auto makers. You take what they want to sell with nearly zero input. Nothing wrong, and it's approach. On the otherhand we had AMK reaching out from the get go. Once again their plan. Now we see AMK putting out feelers for their next kit (s). Just a way of doing business. Never been a real Airfix fan, but have several of their kits in my stash. Looks to me like they have a zero marketing plan. Revell is similar to Airfix in marketing. Still one must remember these two companies together would be a small piece of the pie compared to Tamiya.

Years back, I gave up on Tamiya armor. Was just old kits that the competition just passed on by. The last couple years they seem to have woke up with a handful of pretty nice kits. But now they have to fight with Dragon, Takom, Meng, and now Rye Field. Plus a couple others that are seriously starting to turn out some nice kits. I'm just starting to get bored with Dragon, but have been really impressed with the last handful of Tamiya kits.

Never really been a big fan of Tamiya aircraft even though I've bought a few. I think they (for the most part) are grossly over priced. Have became a fan of the Cyber-Hobby aircraft kits. At $45 they seriously compare with the Zero and Spitfire from Tamiya. Then we get the $27 FW190 from Revell. All these kits are great right out of the box. Yet I've always had a thing for Hasegawa and Fujimi kits (1/72). I like the subject matter most of all the these two brands. Have a thing for WWII aircraft. The new Tamiya F14a looks nice, but won't buy one. Had it been a little earlier airframe; yes I would buy one. The AMK Tomcat isn't exactly what I want either. Still at $63, it's a steal. I've been on the hunt for their MIG31 for what seems like forever. I'm holding out for the new Z/M Phantom, but still love the Hasegawa 1/72 kits.

gary

I completely agree with your sentiments, particularly in regards to Tamiya armor. Now don't get me wrong, some of the newer Tamiya armor kits are quite nice and they've chosen some unusual subjects (Gama Goat anyone?). However, some of the prices of said kits are a bit high in my eyes, particularly upon release (although as with anything you pay a price to be first on the block). Their aircraft kits have just been meh to me for the most part, although there are notable exceptions such as the Skyraider, Thunderjet and Skyray. But, once again some of those very aircraft kits come with hefty price tags or other issues. At the end of the day, I am not a Tamiya fanboy, but if I want a particular kit and Tamiya is the only game in town, I'll spring for their product, otherwise I can pass.

Rick

The kit manufacturers' advertising is pretty much a waste on my part. I get most of my new kit info via word of mouth, as it were (mostly online fora). As much as I like the magazines, wrll, they have unfortunately been hit by the axe in my budget. As mentioned above, I very seldom buy a new kit right when it is first released. Most new kits are just too expensive for me to buy new, so I often go the second hand route.