Compressor with tank

I`m at that stage in life where my old heavy duty 99 DB construction type compressor needs a successor. I am getting a "silent" type which coincidentally costs a small fortune.

So i am wondering what size tank is ideal for modelling and if bigger neccesarily means better. The one i have on my old noisemaker is 9L and i figure that`s a decent volume.

Would i have to take any special considerations when considering the size of the tank? One thing is ofcourse the motor will have more time to rest in between runs. But how

about the moisture buildup. Does a bigger tank collect more moisture? And what about the moisture trap(s) do they filter out most of these drops anyway? Anything i forgot?

Bjørn in Norway

I have a 20 gal Craftsman compressor that's belt driven, I've had it longer than my kids...I like it allot as I use it for everything.

But there are many different directions you could go.

1. Buy a new construction type compressor, belt driven (quieter).

2.Go the Co2 route, (no sound at all)

3.Buy a Airbrush dedicated compressor (expensive)

4.Convert your existing tank with a new silent

(quiet)

Just some ideas.

Size of tank may have some bearing on the production of moisture but climate will be the #1 factor, just drain the tank on a regular basis say monthly.

You can buy a inexpensive pressure regulator water trap combination, they work well, I have not experienced any water related problems with mine,I drain my tank about once a year and it will produce about a cup of water...I know I should drain it more often, but water has never been a problem with the water trap regulator I use.

HTH

Curt

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6e4AAOSwEetWBQxi/s-l1600.jpg

Steve,

Did you need to do any mods to the compressor or purchase additional components to use with your airbrush? What is the compressed air outlet connection size?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Zero mods to the compressor. I did have to add some pieces for the Grex airhose, I don't remember what sizes the pieces were, It's been over a year now. The coupler, to plug the hoses into the compressor, is standard 1/4''. Hope this helps.

Steve

IMG_5369_zpsnefmql57.jpg

Jim, I Googled that thing and found it is OOP.

http://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-oil-free-air-compressors/1-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-6310/

The good news though is that it has been replaced with an Aluminum tank model, found by clicking at the top right photo in the link.

Clicking "Buy it" gives an option for Lowe's,,,,,,and it is only $167 US. (I didn't look at the other buy it links, though)

That compressor looks to be a good alternative to my high racket steel tank shop compressor that I have been using.

I like the low RPM idea.

Edited by Rex

I'm completely thrilled with the Iwata Power Jet Lite I've had for a couple of years now. Its primary benefit is low noise; my wife can talk to me at a normal level when I'm airbrushing. It doesn't provide a tank, nor is one needed; it runs 1 atm at about a 50% duty cycle.

I used to use a small tool compressor. I stopped using it because of its high noise--it could be heard behind the closed garage door--and poor air pressure regulation.

Hi Mike,

Zero mods to the compressor. I did have to add some pieces for the Grex airhose, I don't remember what sizes the pieces were, It's been over a year now. The coupler, to plug the hoses into the compressor, is standard 1/4''. Hope this helps.

Steve

IMG_5369_zpsnefmql57.jpg

Steve,

That's the info I was seeking, thanks!

Mike

You may wish to consider a Rolair JC-10 - a twin cylinder and tank unit. - I bought one to replace my Iwata twin cylinder and it is quiet (60db) when running - it also shuts off when it reaches pressure. Noise is equal and maybe quieter than the old Iwata . It produces more than adequate amount of air (2.3 cfm at 90 psi) and is portable. You will probable need a moisture trap. Can't figure out how to put a picture here so look on Rolair website. There are other similar units by other companies (Senco, etc.)

Rex, thanks. Good to know. I've been eyeballing one for a while. Not sure if it's the exact same model...guess not if you're saying it's been discontinued.

After my last hobby compressor went out I got a pancake type with a 3 gallon tank from Home Depot. I used it for a little over a year. It was loud as hell but it worked. I just couldn't take it anymore though, so I bought another hobby compressor, but the L pipe from the tank to the regulator cracked from over tightening, so now I'm shopping for something that will hopefully last a little longer.

Yessir, About 5 or so years ago, I bought a Campbell/Hausfeld "hobby compressor" for around $70 USD. It has a set of "hot dog" style tanks and weighs less than 10 pounds. I have used it almost exclusively for airbrushing, but it will also pump up a tire and run an air nailer for the small brad nails or staples. However, I wouldn't want to try and frame a house with this unit. It's small and sits on a

square, plastic frame with a rubber cup at each of the 4 corners. I don't remember if I bought the water-trap/regulator or if it came with the unit. I empty the tanks about once a week. There is almost not water at all in the tanks. I so it because I don't want to chance blowing water all over a model while painting. The only downside is that it's a little bit noisy. It's not nearly as noisy as my larger compressor that I have in the garage, but it's more noisy than the compressors that are built for airbrush use only. I paint in the basement and my wife has never complained, so it's not that bad. Anyway, yes, get something with a tank(s). That will eliminate any chance of the dreaded "pulsing." Get a water-trap and regulator. I don't have much of a problem with humidity, so my water-trap/regulator is connected between the compressor and the hose. I have an inline water-trap, but it's still in the package.(if it ain't broke, don't fix it) I don't have any set amount of PSI that I use for this paint, that paint, et.al. I mix my paint, do a test run on some scrap or a junker model. When it sprays right FOR ME(if there's a secret, that's it - the paint, psi, and so on is ready when the paint goes down how YOU want it to), I'm ready to lay down some paint. Now, probably the most important (and sometimes overlooked) part of modeling is the safety of the modeler. If you are spraying with an airbrush, you are "atomizing" paint. Wear an organic respirator anytime you are airbrushing. It doesn't matter if it's lacquer or just acrylic based paint. If you are spraying it, it's getting you. If you can smell it, it's getting into your lungs, into your bloodstream, and onto your brain. I've killed enough brain cells, having fun, over the years. I can't afford to kill anymore while still having fun building models. I wear gloves and my eye protection is an older pair of glasses. So, be safe, have fun, and good luck finding the compressor that fits your modeling needs!!!

Steve,

That's the info I was seeking, thanks!

Mike

For what it's worth, if you are using a Grex hose, they are 1/8" thread on both ends (most are 1/4" on the compressor end and whatever is appropriate per the airbrush brand on the other). With that said, the Grex AD12 Will bump the thread up from 1/8" to 1/4" which is compatible with Badger, Iwata and Paasche compressors as well as any other compressor with a 1/4" thread. If your compressor is 3/8" then the AD12 (1/8"M x 1/4"F) and the AD10 (1/4"F x 3/8") will work nicely. If you are starting out with a 1/4" female thread size on the hose (Badger, Iwata, Paasche) then all you need is the AD10 to bump up to 3/8" to accommodate larger compressors.

I`m at that stage in life where my old heavy duty 99 DB construction type compressor needs a successor. I am getting a "silent" type which coincidentally costs a small fortune.

So i am wondering what size tank is ideal for modelling and if bigger neccesarily means better. The one i have on my old noisemaker is 9L and i figure that`s a decent volume.

Would i have to take any special considerations when considering the size of the tank? One thing is ofcourse the motor will have more time to rest in between runs. But how

about the moisture buildup. Does a bigger tank collect more moisture? And what about the moisture trap(s) do they filter out most of these drops anyway? Anything i forgot?

Bjørn in Norway

Check out this thread. A superquiet compressor with tank for under $100. It is hard to beat.

Silentaire knockoff on Ebay

But I don't know if you can find an Ebay seller of this compressor in Norway. It is very heavy and the shipping may kill the deal.

Edited by Kei Lau