1950's airshow pics, GREAT quality!!

Really like that Guard P-51H for some reason.

Funny you should mention; me too, since I've been trying to find pics of Vermont ANG P-51H's. Nice to see a top-quality pic of the subject, albeit from the "wrong" state :P

Also neat is the VF-33 FJ-3. Oh, and I don't think I'd ever heard of a TF-86! And on and on the list goes....

Awesome era in military aviation. Loved the NMF A-4 and the YB-52. So many different planes and a mix of props and early jets. Far cry from today's modern inventories which make for much less diverse air shows..

Some great shots there, the C-99, a couple C-124s, and a few I didn't recognize at first.

Nowthe question, what the heck was sticking out of the top of the B-36? Unless it's me,there was a panel that opened on the top of the fuselage and something was sticking out.

The B-36 looks like it's showing off the retraction or re-arm sequence for the forward dorsal turret. They were normally stowed under covers until needed.

Some awesome color photos there. XT-37! Early short-tailed Dagger as well as an XF-102 with a funky nose. Early and late Gutlesses.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I was intrigued by the photo of a C-123 with wing mounted floats - never seen that before - so I Googled 'C-123 Pantobase' - fascinating!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=c-123+pantobase&FORM=HDRSC2

Plus a TF-86 Sabre....and the XF-91 Thunderceptor - behind the YRF-84F FICON prototype.

Some GREAT images.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

That's some real good reference material. Will be downloading when I get off work.

The photo of C-130A, 53-3132 is of special interest to me. It's the fourth production C-130 and I actually worked on it in the late 90's. The company I worked for received a contract to overhaul this aircraft for delivery to the Mexican Air Force.

Cheers,

John

Take the wings from a Monogram B-36 and add them to a vacform fuselage to make an XC-99.

Using the leftover B-36 fuselage married to a swept wing with jet engines and swept fin (maybe from a B-52?) - and you could then make a YB-60.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_YB-60#/media/File:The_Convair_YB-60.jpg

Seeeeemples!

Ken

Andrew,

:jaw-dropping: those are FANTASTIC and definitely enjoyable to see historical aircrafts from the past..

Thank you very much for sharing them..

I also noticed the men and women attending the shows look smart in their suits and hats..way COOL .. :thumbsup:

Edited by HOLMES

Fantastic pictures. What an exciting time for military aviation. You can literally see the transition from props to jets, and even the evolution from first to second (and third?) generation of jets. Awesome.

From here :- http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51/variants/p51h

Almost all the parts from the D line were not usable in the P-51H. This was the first production P-51 with a complete overhaul. The wing did not have that famous leading edge kink in it. The landing gear was visibly smaller.

They look like skinny legs - because they WERE skinny legs.

Ken