Rear SSME.

OV099%20SSME_zpszg685tkq.jpg

Nose Front cockpit..

Nose-Shuttle-challenger.jpg

Updated photos, restoration.

Cheers.... :D/>

Edited by jetplane

Amazing orbiter, which is very interesting for my STS-6 project. :thumbsup:

In my view, Challenger had no black tiles on the OMS pods during her maiden flight.

BjdcaY.jpg

BTW, what kit you have used? :hmmm:

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

Edited by spaceman

Hotdog,

Is it possible for you to scale up your nice HD tile and Shuttle stencil markings decal set to 1/72?

I think Monogram Shuttle is very similar profile to the Airfix Shuttle..it should be no problem

to apply the bottom tile decals.

Maybe you can design the tile areas covering the cockpit cap, OMS pods section plus the Triangular piece

aft of the OMS Pod's bottom.

These white tiles are still use on the latter shuttle right down to retirement.

Generally speaking all Shuttle kit should have the same outline shape and maybe a little trimmings for

some existing decals to fit.

Most aftermarket decals are designed for Revell Shuttle.

Cheers,

Jetplane

Edited by jetplane

That's the plan. Once I finish the engraved tile sheet project, I can easily use the same drawings to make decals. I'm trying to stay focused and not try to juggle doing every project at every scale at once.

The black tile patches came about after STS-9 and the "piss-sickle" in the water discharge chute on STS-41D. It wasn't covered in the media at the time, but in addition to the APU fire after landing (which was covered in the press) post flight inspection revealed that Columbia suffered a TPS burn through on the left side OMS pod down to the graphite structure. If the burn through had gone through the structure, just below the surface were the hypergolic tanks for that specific OMS pod and a breach of one of those could have resulted in a very bad day.

Wind tunnel testing after the flight revealed if there was a disturbance to the plasma flow during reentry on the sides of the nose, specifically near the water discharge chutes, it could result in a localized hot spot on the OMS pod. STS-41D showed just how potentially easy it was for ice to buildup in the water discharge chute, so that is why NASA added the black tile patch to the fronts of the OMS pods.

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 2 weeks later...