Almost done with a 1/72 F-105F Weasel; need to know if the tip of the arresting hook was bare metal, or overpainted in light gray when in SEA camo. I've got two walkaround books and checked online and just can't get a clear view of the hook tip at all, except in restored museum examples. They don't count.

Just a guess but I'd say it was light gray. It was only used for emergencies and they probably just sprayed it along with the rest of the belly of the jet. They wouldn't have had any reason to mask it or replace it like a Navy jet.

Ben

From these shots, it looks like they were left unpainted:

scan0431.jpg

This is a "G" model belonging to the 17th Weasels at Korat:

scan0037-1.jpg

Sorry, never thought about getting up close detail shots. I was always more concerned with getting into unhealthy situations on the flight line.

Tried looking at the two "G" model shots but you have to ask permission first?

As long as we're on the 105, I don't mean to hi-jack but I have a question about their main gear. The model I'm currently working on has the main gear on a angle instead of straight up and down. I never noticed this when I was out taking shots and too occupied with other things when driving my jeep or armored car out there. Were they straight or angled?

Stopped working for me as well.

I had direct linked the photos but have edited the links to go to the relative pages instead.

Cheers,

John

As long as we're on the 105, I don't mean to hi-jack but I have a question about their main gear. The model I'm currently working on has the main gear on a angle instead of straight up and down. I never noticed this when I was out taking shots and too occupied with other things when driving my jeep or armored car out there. Were they straight or angled?

Apparently angled slightly forward. I found this out too late.