F/A-18A and F-16 Aggressor/Adversary - what do I need?

Hi there,

Im looking at building two of these birds as splinter camo and arctic aggressor, respectively. Im not expert so I wanted to know what is usually mounted on such aircraft, and where could I get the necessary aftermarket pods etc....

Thanks

B.

You´ll need an ACMI-pod, which looks very much like a Sidewinder without wings. Often different ECM-pods are used as well, like the AN/ALQ-167. Also, blue Sidewinder training rounds are common.

For aftermarket.... Which scale do you plan to build the model?

HAJO

What scale? In 1/48 the Tamiya F-16C/N has everything you'll need for the Viper, the F/A-18A would be easy to convert the Kinetic bird to an A by omitting several antennae and removing the middle rounded lump on each tailfin. Or you could find a Hasegawa F/A-18A and update it a bit with resin/pe if you like.

Thanks very much for the great replies. Im doing them in 1/32. In my stash, I already have an Academy 18A+ and the Tamiya F-16. Sadly neither of these will do what I need OOB so I will follow your suggestions and look online for aftermarket stuff. It looks like I also have most, if not all the decals I need for an arctic aggressor F-16. The F18 is destined to be done in VFC-12's 'Ambush' splinter pattern, I can get masks for that but will need to handprint some of the decals.

Thanks very much for the help.

Thanks, I will be doing it oob, doubt I will be able to spring for extra cockpits too. I happy with having a slightly incorrect airframe but I wouldn't mind getting the load outs approximately right.

Cheers.

Aires makes a nice jammer pod for your F-16 Block 30.

A CATM-9 is a Sidewinder seeker paired with an inert back section (warhead, motor) and aft fins without rollerons. Lets the pilot acquire targets all he/she wants but not accidentally kill them. Paint that back tube section blue. Paint the aft fins gray.

Think it's the CJ boxing. Thanks for great info and picture. The CTAM 9, isn't just a normal AIM 9L panted blue?

Actually the CATM-9 is on the #1 station on the photo I posted. The blue is just a standard color to denote an inert round whether it's the warhead or motor. There is a blue stripe on the warhead and there are no Rollerons on the aft fins. CATM-9's come in a variety of colors so a bit of research will direct you to what you want.

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104