Which to build?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which to build?

• Bare metal RF-101A serial 54-1504
    • Green black experimental RF-101A serial 54-1512
    • Green black experimental, low visibility markings, wrap around RF-101 (unknown)

4cba816a_o.jpeg

I will join this wonderful GB with the RF-101A of Valom in 1/72 Scale. To avoid duplicate entries i chose the A variant. (Ichitoe builds the C variant here)

I gathered some information for the plane and some nice photos. I want to thank DKakos for his extra help with the refs.

Please help me decide which aircraft to build by voting on the poll.

1. Bare metal RF-101A serial 54-1504

72ecba02_m.jpeg

2. Green black experimental RF-101A serial 54-1512

07c4283c_m.jpeg e2a2083e_m.jpeg 279107dd_m.jpeg

3. Green black experimental, low visibility markings, wrap around RF-101 (unknown)

42d9a5e2_m.jpeg

Some info

Thirty-five production versions were built under the designation RF-101A. The RF-101A became the USAF's first supersonic photographic reconnaissance aircraft. The first RF-101A was delivered to the 17th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron of the 363rd Tactical Reconnaissance Wing at Shaw AFB in South Carolina on May 6, 1957 as a replacement for the subsonic RF-84F. The last RF-101A machines were delivered in October of 1957.

source: http://www.f-101voodoo.com/voodoo_rf101a.htm

About decals

I may use some stencil data from the Rf-101C print scale's decal or some bort numbers from Techmod.

Edited by Amen
It combined the strengthened structure of the F-101C with the camera installation of the RF-101A. In addition, the RF-101C differed from the RF-101A in being able to accommodate a centerline nuclear weapon, so that it could carry out a secondary nuclear strike mission if called upon to do so. The RF-101C was otherwise identical to the RF-101A, and could only be distinguished from it by an examination of the serial numbers.

source: http://www.f-101voodoo.com/voodoo_rf101c.htm

In fact i will use the RF-101C sprues, because i had those already apart!

Regarding this review, which is made for the F-101C but it talks for the the RF versions too, i have do a further comparison of the kit with real photos of the plane.

Edited by Amen