Revell 1/48 Stearman acrobatic biplane

I built this kit OOB with the addition of black invisible thread to simulate the rigging. Even with the new experience of rigging a biplane, because the kit goes together so well it was a relaxing build.

Stearman_01.jpg

Stearman_02.jpg

Stearman_03.jpg

Stearman_04.jpg

Stearman_05.jpg

Stearman_06.jpg

Edited by CarlR

CarlR, I am impressed!!! Where have you been? It looks like you joined ARC about 13 years ago. Looks can be deceiving. You are NOT a "Newbie." There are two things that give your model away as a model, and neither one has anything to do with building.

1. There are no occupants in your Stearman.

2. Your Stearman was photographed in a photo booth.

If your model had a couple of occupants and was photographed at an airfield, I guarantee that 90% of the viewers would think that this was a real airplane and not a model! That would be the case for me. I have a couple of questions. First, did you use Alclad II Chrome/Shiny Aluminum on the front of the motor area? Secondly, are there any decals, or did you do a lot of masking? I'm just curious. I have a bi-plane, vac-u-form kit started. I will be pleased if it turns out half as nice as your Stearman.

What a great build!!!!! love the kit others should check it out..... I built mine up as a early 50's spray plane my rigging just did not look as good as with my old Lindy Stearman. Wish Monogram had included the fine stainless wires as the lindy kit did

Outstanding job! I have a jones for aircraft of that era, and you built a masterful rendition.

It's always hard to keep my resolve to NOT add another kit to the stash when I see this in the LHS...

thank you all for your kind comments.

balls477...

to answer your questions...

1 - the propeller hub was brush painted with Testor's ModelMaster chrome silver #1790 (I got lucky with the finish)

2 - the majority of the markings on the aircraft are supplied as decals in the kit. The main wing decals required careful placing and slicing at the corners to get a proper fit. The only painting required for the markings was the cowl over the engine and the struts between the main wings.

- a word of warning about the decal placement instructions...they erroneously would have you put the upper tailplane decals on the bottom and vice versa. They look identical but differ just slightly and fit properly in the correct area.

• 3 months later...