1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18 RAAF "Worimi"

As part of my Australian ADF modelling page, I try to write up reviews of products that relate to all things RAAF, RAN and AAAvn in the modelling world. You can find the link in my Sig but for those who don't or wont have a Facebook page, here is a copy:

Ronin Graphics RAAF F/A-18A “Worimi” Hornet (1/72, 1/48 & 1/32)

The Royal Australian Air Force unveiled a specially painted F/A-18 Hornet at the Australian International Airshow in 2015. Named in honour of the traditional land owners on which RAAF Base Williamtown sits, the “Worimi” Hornet demonstrates the Air Force’s commitment to Indigenous men and women who have served, and continue to serve, in the Australian Defence Force

With the blessing and assistance of the Worimi people and the RAAF, Ronin Graphics have released this stunning scheme in decal form.

The subject of this review is the 1/48 product but is also available in 1/72 & 1/32. The packaging includes 3 A4 pages of colour placement and paint call out, 1 A4 page of colour reference photos, 1 A4 page of a placement guide for the tanks and pylons plus a double sided A3 size placement guide for all the stencil/placard panel number data. Three decal sheets are included. The main sheet has all the colour markings for the Worimi scheme. Next is the stencil data and last is the panel number sheet.

The colour sheet is well printed and in register. The colours look correct to the eye but will be interesting to see how the blue elements match with the dark blue that is required to be painted. The grey elements take on a tan like colour on the sheet but I think this is due to the fact they are printed on a light blue backing sheet. A nice touch are the optional decals. There are two versions of the decal for the nose area that go around the IFF “Bird slicers”. One for if your kit already has the IFF moulded in or if they are an option in the kit to the installed after (Hasegawa for example). The last is in relation to the circular Satcom antenna on the spine. The option is there to have it in decal form or install your own via scratch building.

The other two sheets are mainly printed in grey and cover all the stencils and panel numbers. I can see long hours of enjoyment or frustration trying to put some of these small decals on. The A3 placement guide is a massive bonus and will no doubt save some of the frustration and hair follicles.

After seeing the aircraft in the flesh at Avalon last year I am so pleased to be able to produce one in model form.

The decals are available via the Ronin Graphics EBay store http://stores.ebay.com.au/roningraphicsaus/ . The prices are AU$20 for 1/48 and AU$30 for the 1/32. No prices for the 1/72 as they are not out yet. Only 40 sheets available in 1/32 and 150 in 1/48. Decals for this review bought by the reviewer.

20160825_082737_zpsoj4drkxv.jpg

Over the weekend I started on the Canopy which needs the removal of the seam running right down the middle. I started with a rough sanding stick. To get a good hold and to not crack the canopy, I used this bouncy putty the kids had laying around. Works a treat. Didn't leave any residue behind and can be re-used.

DSC_1912_zpshpsfvtyc.jpg

DSC_1907_zpsvbfvhqzm.jpg

I then used the squadron stick using the finer grades each time. Then a gunze polishing cloth, then Tamiya polishing compound and finally brushed on Future. I tried dipping it but it didn't work.

DSC_1913_zpsadia0vz8.jpg

Came out ok.

+2, the issue though is getting Academy's A mod hornets, though I need to try and get a couple of canopies... I've managed to crack both my "D/B" and "A"canopies

Rob-Taurus makes replacement canopies for the Hasegawa and Academy Hornets in 1/72nd scale.

The Eduard PE in the cockpit finished.

20160816_145517_zps8yk6o6sm.jpg

Fuselage put together. It has been a long time since I made a Hasegawa Hornet. I forgot how fiddly the intake section is. Lots of filler needed!

20160825_084540_zpsvxhnsyco.jpg

I bought the Flying Leathernecks Models Tail Jig a few years ago. I have been anxious to try it out. You need to loosen the fin locating pins so that they move to the required angle.

There must of been a manufacturing error with mine. I though this section was an actual duct! I couldn't see any on any reference material so more filler!

402ddd44-8af9-419d-a093-b33dc9c0eeb4_zpsr7pgln0b.jpg

Another item in the stash from years ago is the Orion models stiffener patch for the left side of each fin that is a prominent feature.

3db4263f-dc6f-42a2-a886-fe1e4214d6ce_zpsc71mlrjz.jpg

With a splash of primer they come up ok.

65c74461-9fe6-450c-bd2f-b3290ee0281c_zpstuhaudw1.jpg

Everything ready for the canopy to be installed.

20160827_152929_zpsv5iafpjh.jpg

Canopy on. Masked up and painted black to replicate the inside of the canopy.

20160828_142342_zpsgmnqcns6.jpg

Priming complete. I used Tamiya primer for the Task.

20160828_171654_zpsk6vjlkvb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sorry it has been a while but I was having Photobucket issues when in progress. It is now finished as how it appeared at Avalon Airshow on it's debut in 2015. I couldn't find a snakeye or the Israeli pod as it had but I'm happy with how it looks. A special thanks to John Williams for the  bombs and missiles. It was a challenging build at times. I really love the Ronin decals they are like paint.

DSC_2290_zps1xhw1znj.jpg

DSC_2292_zpsgrsuaxis.jpg

DSC_2298_zpseuh77pio.jpg

DSC_2304_zpsm6vwmbdm.jpg

DSC_2321_zps6gsqizbp.jpg

DSC_2325_zpse2eunxuw.jpg

DSC_2331_zpsr2iv6b1d.jpg

DSC_2338_zpsq4bm9snb.jpg

DSC_2342_zpsd1ivdgph.jpg

DSC_2345_zpsomczntwo.jpg