Attaching PE antennas

Curious to know if anyone has any tips/tricks for attaching PE parts, specifically antennas and other items, to aircraft fuselages, basically where the edge of the PE is the only contact point to the plastic?

The Eduard PE for my Recce Jag build has replacements for the wing and fuselage antennas, among other bits, and I *might* give these parts a try. I thought maybe scribing a small groove for the parts to sit in might make them more secure? Any other ideas from the master builders out there? Thanks!

- JL

Edited by plasticWerks_JL

Common practice is white glue, something like Eileen's Tacky Glue. It's thick enough that it will hold the piece after a short time and it remains a little flexible after it dries so small knocks won't break off the antenna. You can smooth a small fillet with a damp Q-tip after the glue dries.

Yes, a groove would make the joint more robust. I too would consider white glue or gator glue, as you can wipe the excess of with a dampened brush. A few times, I used CA glue by barely touching the antenna's bottom in CA and affixing it to the fuselage. Even if it is painted and clear coated, if you are careful, you can touch the joint with Tamiya extra thin, which levels off any excess CA and dries clear. I have done this several times and it has worked alright. But I try just to gently pool the area with Tamiya extra thin and not swipe the brush or something (as it would damage the paint badly).

I have to do this in my current MiG-29 build, so I too have been preparing for this phase.

In addition to a better grip, it also provides better alignment. I cut a groove or drill a hole (depending on the part) to enable the part to be attached via a friction fit. The CA is then fixing the part in place.

• 1 month later...

I agree with 82Whitey51. If you can do this and drill the hole it works great.

Another possibility, if you can't do the above is Bondic or the like, a UV-hardened adhesive:

Misc01-vi.jpgMisc02-vi.jpgMisc03-vi.jpgMisc04-vi.jpgMisc05-vi.jpg

Write-up on how this was used for the rockets on my P2V-3 Neptune here, about half-way down the page, and used for antenna wire, a couple of pages later:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994346-lockheed-p2v-3-neptune-a-forgotten-warrior/&page=5

This stuff doesn't have a lot of shear strength, but "grabs" to hod just fine, and has the advantage of being able to hold the part in place while you instantly "zap" it with the light.

Ed

11 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

I agree with 82Whitey51. If you can do this and drill the hole it works great.

Another possibility, if you can't do the above is Bondic or the like, a UV-hardened adhesive:

Misc01-vi.jpgMisc02-vi.jpgMisc03-vi.jpgMisc04-vi.jpgMisc05-vi.jpg

Write-up on how this was used for the rockets on my P2V-3 Neptune here, about half-way down the page, and used for antenna wire, a couple of pages later:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994346-lockheed-p2v-3-neptune-a-forgotten-warrior/&page=5

This stuff doesn't have a lot of shear strength, but "grabs" to hod just fine, and has the advantage of being able to hold the part in place while you instantly "zap" it with the light.

Ed

It's not a great "filler" (unlike super glue).  I experimented with this stuff and eventually it will fall out of whatever seam/hole you fill.  It does get firm, but not like super glue (more like really really hard...but yet pliable...white glue when set). 

Cheers

Collin