New Academy 1/72 Snap F/A-18F

I posted the following to the 72ndscaleUSmilair@yahoo group:

ACD00012535_0_l.jpg

I saw the sprues of the new Academy Super Hornet at the US IPMS Nationals last month, but was unable to find it for sale ... until two days ago when I saw it listed on Scale Hobbyist:

So I paid for Priority shipping ($10.50) and got it today!!!!! (I use Scale Hobbyist regularly, and this outstanding service is typical. They also seem to have new kits the earliest of the US on-line shops).

As for the kit, it's a snap type, and like the recent Academy Snap Phantom, the detail is outstanding. Unlike the recent (very nice) Academy F-16 Snap ,this one has full landing gear, full intake, and a comprehensive decal sheet (VF-84 and VFA-103), among other things.

Academy%20F_A-18F%20Decals%20and%20Sticker%20Copy.jpg The yellow backed sheet provides stickers.

I was amazed at the fit on the snap F-16, and it's just as good on the F/A-18F. Virtually no seams to fill.

The only Cons to me are: the huge mounting holes on the wing bottoms for the pylons; and the One-Piece-Only canopy (but an easy cut). When I do my Blue Angels Super Hornet, those mounting holes will be filled with the nubs I cut off from the pylons.

I have not checked "accuracy".

Gene K

(and since we all have to "experiment" with pieces from the spare parts bin, the Hasegawa E Model canopy is a near perfect kit ... however, note that the Academy kit includes the fuselage piece to blank off the second cockpit, meaning a snap E model is coming).

Academy%20E%20Model%20Parts%20Copy.jpg

Edited by Gene K

My bad - you're absolutely right! :doh:/>/>/>

Academy%20Intakes.jpg

Gene K

It looks better than that mess of Italeri and possibly from Hasegawa offerings too,I no longer have Revell Superbugs so I can't voice that,guess I'll take the resin intakes from xmold as I have more than enough spare kits taken for extra parts

I'd be interested in knowing how the seats are.

They look "OK" to me, but I'm sure you'd be the better judge. Sorry for the poor picture, but my phone had trouble with the black and this is the best I could touch up. (kit seat is under the Number 4 on right)

Seat_3.jpg

Gene K

I find the intake trunking design very smart and that encourages me to buy the kit. Once the model is assembled, light will barely enter the intakes so the shallow trunking won't be noticeable. Nice idea (to me at least).

I find the intake trunking design very smart and that encourages me to buy the kit.

I'm looking forward to getting more of these kits - the sprues are labelled F/A-18E/F/G. Will be interesting to see what Hornet experts find as regards accuracy.

Gene K

While this is the Revell 1/48th F/A-18E, it looks as though you could do something similar to the Academy kit based on the how the intakes are set up. Simply find a tube that is roughly the same inside diameter as the aft end of the intake piece and you're good.

RMIntakeExtensionAdded.jpg

They look "OK" to me, but I'm sure you'd be the better judge. Sorry for the poor picture, but my phone had trouble with the black and this is the best I could touch up. (kit seat is under the Number 4 on right)

Gene K

Actually quite impressive. Throw a little Tamiya tape harnesses on and scratch the between-the-legs ejection handle, and you're good to go.

While this is the Revell 1/48th F/A-18E, it looks as though you could do something similar to the Academy kit based on the how the intakes are set up.

Nice, Dave! I've been looking into the Academy intakes from various angles, and I'm not sure I'd be able to discern the add-on ducting (as Laurent pointed out).

I think 1/72 is not your scale, but I hope you have a chance to look over this kit so that we can get your unique expert comments !!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Hey thanks for posting this! I probably would not have even considered this kit but now that I see it I am going to grab one for myself and one for my young son who is just starting out.

Good stuff :thumbsup: !

Cheers!

Don.

Nice, Dave! I've been looking into the Academy intakes from various angles, and I'm not sure I'd be able to discern the add-on ducting (as Laurent pointed out).

I think 1/72 is not your scale, but I hope you have a chance to look over this kit so that we can get your unique expert comments !!

Gene K

Gene,

I actually have several 72nd kits in the stash. Unfortunately, my knowledge of the F/A-18E/F is limited to what I've found by studying personal photos, as well as a few technical publications I have covering the aircraft.