1/72 Avro Lancaster B MK.1

Hi all,

I will be joining in with Airix's 1/72 Avro Lancaster B MK.1 done as a 463 Squadron, RAAF aircraft, JO-N "Nick the nazi neutralizer ".

This aircraft had completed 67 missions, from which 2 of these the aircraft had returned safely with half the tail plane shot away. This aircraft was lost in a training accident in England on 11 March 1945 on a fighter affiliation training exercise. During the exercise the aircraft collided with Hurricane PZ740 of 1690 Flight flown by PO Parlato, S F DFC RNZAF. LM130 crashed into the Ashholt Field at Blankney village, 9 miles north of Sleaford, Lincolnshire and all the crew were killed The Hurricane pilot was also killed,

My intent of this build is to honour those who served and returned and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

G'day Ray,

I haven't sourced them as yet.but kits-world.com have this specific decals available. I dd look at "G" for George, but I feel that its been done to many times already.

I know that Mr Doppel dropped a hint that Red Roo were looking at making a new set of decals shortly in the near future, so I think i have a few options available to me if i need it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, Happy new year to you all.

I have finally made and effort to start this build, right up till the end of last year all modeling efforts had come to a complete stop due to being flat out with work. 

Here are some progress pics so far

IMG_0308_zpsldo42yjw.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsanbg22mv.jpg

IMG_0311_zpsk0ftogue.jpg

IMG_0309_zpsijtlhe1b.jpg

As I was test fitting spar  I had managed to brak off the rear wing spar, as It is soft plastic so, I will rejoin it when I attach the other wing spars.

Unfortunately, i think alot of the detail will be not seen when this is closed up

IMG_03181_zpspqykvbzn.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by Aussie_superbug

I like how airfix designed this kit with the spar. It comes in very handy later.

You're right about most of the interior being invisible, but it's still fun to build, and see in photos.

1 hour ago, RKic said:

I like how airfix designed this kit with the spar. It comes in very handy later.

You're right about most of the interior being invisible, but it's still fun to build, and see in photos.

So I have closed the fuselage filled and sanded ( just a few minor fixes to do ) and I have the spars and the ribs installed( no pics yet but will post shortly) , but had a test fit of the lower wings last night and they lock into each other quite well.

I was hoping that I could build about 70% of the kit as sub assemblies then fit them together just before painting. But I don't think that is the case but it's be pretty close