Funny to find myself here again. My first ever group build at ARC was the Intruder GB back in the fall of 2005, and my project was a Fujimi A-6. It was an -A model back then, and thanks to my lack of familiarity with the pitfalls of Fujimi decals, and the propensity of MM Acrylic paint to lift with masking tape (it was my first time with kabuki tape), the final result was less than stellar. I hope things go better this time.

I haven't really done anything yet, save for gluing one wing together. Consider this my staking a claim in the GB space. I'm going away for a short vacation in the morning, so there will not be any updates for a few days.

IMG_20160901_231004745.jpg

Meanwhile, check out the bizzaro scheme on the instructions page. Those are low-vis markings over a light gull gray/white camo. The white goes midway up the top of the wing. I've not seen that before.

The decal options in the kit are uninspired. I'd really prefer to do something from the late-80s or from Desert Shield/Storm. Anybody have a sheet they'd like to sell to me?

The decal options in the kit are uninspired. I'd really prefer to do something from the late-80s or from Desert Shield/Storm. Anybody have a sheet they'd like to sell to me?

I've been trying to sell the SuperScale 1/72 Desert Storm sheet if you're still looking for:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=294892&st=0#entry2823779

Ziggy, PM inbound.

I've finished up the wings, more or less. Fujimi designed the leading edge slats to be in the deployed position, but to be accurate, down slats slats should also have corresponding down flaps (according to a few folk on ARC - and I trust they're correct). So I cut off the actuator arms and glued the slats up. As is typical with such thing, the fit wasn't great. They stand proud of the wing surface at some points, but then have points where they're depressed below it. I tried to glue them as straight as possible, and did some sanding to even things out, but they still look a little wonky. Maybe another round of sanding?

IMG_20160905_231612061_HDR.jpg

The cockpit is taking shape.

I need to fix the slip of black on the bombardier's CRT.

I mixed a lightened version of dark gull gray for the base color as DGG cockpits in 1/72 look far too dark.

Details were "painted" with fine Sharpie and Micron pens, and some prismacolor pencils. CRTs are clear paints.

IMG_20160906_230943916_HDR.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks John.

Some progress while we were all away. 

You can see here that I got all the ventral inserts in without needing almost any filler. A little care went a long way. 

IMG_20160908_203813732_HDR.jpg

And a bit more still. 

IMG_20160925_235119578_HDR.jpg

You can see I tried to cut in the S curve that is right before the exhaust can. It came out a bit high- but it'll do. The exhausts themselves will be made from a drinking straw. Now onto the other side. 

23 hours ago, mlicari said:

Good work so far!  I've built three 1/72 A-6 variants, and struggled every time with the ventral parts...what did you do to get everything in there so perfectly!?!?!?

Mike

I glued them in about a centimeter at a time. I lined up a tiny bit, glued and let sit for a while, then glued the next length, and so forth. I also put in some sheet styrene tabs for extra support.

3 hours ago, RKic said:

I glued them in about a centimeter at a time. I lined up a tiny bit, glued and let sit for a while, then glued the next length, and so forth. I also put in some sheet styrene tabs for extra support.

Ah!  The patience thing!  I have to consciously tell myself to slow down...

• 4 months later...

I know it is madness to think I'll finish this one in time for March 1, but I just wanted to show y'all that I have pulled the model from the closet of forgotten planes.

I got all the wings and fuselage bits together. Have to do some sanding at the roots, and finish cleaning up the poorly fitting leading edge slats. After that? A bunch more stuff! :D

Who am I kidding? 

IMG_20170220_235823575_HDR.jpg

On 2/28/2017 at 4:38 PM, Spectre711 said:

How you doing with this one?

I'm a step away from painting. I had a real struggle with the windscreen and had to fair it in, after lots of filing. I pretty much lost any hint of panel lines on top of the nose, and now I'm having trouble rescribing the arcs. I already messed it up once and ended up refilling. 

Don't really know how to approach this.