Spitfire IXc 1/48 ROG French Recce

Do you have info confirming that that particular Spitfire was a photo recce version?

I only show that it was assigned to a recce unit, probably as a "hack" aircraft.

"Spitfire Mk.IXc (late), MJ 897, operated by French tactical reconnaissance unit GR2/33 "Savoy", and shot down by flak on 4 January 1944. Within the limits imposed by its Ocean Grey/Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey camouflage MJ 897 was a very colourful aircraft, with its yellow empennage, wing bands and wingtips, red spinner and tricolour rudder and roundels."

I could be wrong though.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

The info I have has the shoot down date as 4 Jan 45. GR2/33 Received its Mk IXs from June 44. Just prior to being based at Dijon Longvic and were the only French Recce unit to operate Spitfires. MJ897 has mission marks on the port side of the nose. I will do some more digging . Hope this helps MJ897 was received by GR2/33 on 17.6.44 On 22.9.44 it carried a visual Recce to Dilon to verify that German forces had left flown by Lt Chevallier Still digging

Martin H

Edited by Grandboof

The info I have has the shoot down date as 4 Jan 45. GR2/33 Received its Mk IXs from June 44. Just prior to being based at Dijon Longvic and were the only French Recce unit to operate Spitfires. MJ897 has mission marks on the port side of the nose. I will do some more digging . Hope this helps MJ897 was received by GR2/33 on 17.6.44 On 22.9.44 it carried a visual Recce to Dilon to verify that German forces had left flown by Lt Chevallier Still digging

Martin H

Thanks for the info. I was hoping you had info that it was a photo recce plane. so I could add another kit to my to-do list.

I tend not to do any "visual" recce birds, just my preference.

Larry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...