1/72 Fujimi A-4M Skyhawk

Here's the initial work I completed last night and earlier this evening. I plan on building it with the canopy closed so I used the decal option for the instrument panels. I have just one enclosed display cabinet...most of my builds are just on open shelves...so I have to plan for dust!.

DSC08611_zpsqat8hfe2.jpg

DSC08612_zpszxsldma6.jpg

DSC08613_zpskpmob9ih.jpg

Probably more weight than I need in there, but I wanted to make sure!

Mike

A bit more progress. This portion of the kit (or any Fujimi Skyhawk) builds quickly as until this point the build is straightforward.

The hardest parts are getting the nose gear well aligned correctly and getting the engine facing/ducting subassembly to fit into the fuselage. I ended up sanding away material from the outside of the trunking. Had to do this on the 2 other Fujimi Skyhawks I've built too.

DSC08615_zpsrhpg0nw7.jpg

DSC08617_zpslnlrebqn.jpg

DSC08616_zpsivqy9yey.jpg

:cheers:/>

Mike

Edited by mlicari

Oh good. I thought it was just me that had this problem.

:P

Yeah, I find the line of Fujimi Skyhawks to be nice, detailed and accurate. But very fiddly and really challenging in places, I think largely because they engineered the kit to be modular in order to do the large range of Skyhawks.

The ductwork is one tricky place. Fitting the wing, rear fuselage, and nose all together is another challenging spot, which is where I am tonight. Third one of these kits, and I've struggled tremendously in this phase on each one.

:cheers:

Mike

A lot of progress so far this weekend!

Fujimi Skyhawks are designed to make it easy to drop the flaps; the interior portion of the wing half is deeply scribed where you need to cut.

DSC08619_zpszodwzja4.jpg

Wings go together ok, but leave a seam under the leading edge slats, which will be seen since the slats will be deployed.

DSC08620_zps9lauispy.jpg

By this point, there are three subassemblies that now all need to come together. This is very challenging: getting everything aligned without gaps has proven difficult/impossible for me in the past!

DSC08621_zpsygkejpnf.jpg

:cheers:

Mike

As I feared, putting everything together resulted in a few gaps. Luckily they're not too big, and frankly gaps are easier to deal with than steps.

This part of building a Fujimi Skyhawk is tricky. As you can see, the rear portion of the refueling probe is molded to the rear fuselage, which means connecting the forward fuselage/nose requires you to at least line that up. Not to mention the cannon mounts/fairings, as well as keeping the front square with the rear and wings.

:wacko:/>

DSC08624_zpsbwr4qmwg.jpg

You can see some of the resulting gaps on the underside and port side.

DSC08625_zpsqz2oemre.jpg

DSC08626_zpsay5biju7.jpg

Mike

Edited by mlicari

Gaps filled, intakes assembled and attached, and avionics hump fitted.

Everything on this stage fit well, which is a treat. I often find that intakes on most jet kits don't fit very well.

DSC08632_zps9vqimsyv.jpg

DSC08631_zps2zxjr53i.jpg

DSC08630_zps8gauvh2o.jpg

Mike

You really did a great job on the wing fit. My kit is stalled because Im getting massive steps at the cannon fairings. Not sure where I went wrong.

I ended up sanding a fair amount of material off of the bottom of the rear fuselage (under the area with the engine trunking) so that it would "seat" at the right height. I also had to trim a bit off the portion of the nose assembly, where the parts slide into the "troughs" of the wing assembly.

Took a lot of dry fitting and adjusting.

Mike

Another place where the Fujimi kit is more frustrating than it probably needs to be...the huge sprue attachments on the leading edges of the slats.

DSC08635_zpsg6pbeqte.jpg

Refueling probe and horizontal stabilizers fitted.

DSC08636_zps8lhtvufe.jpg

Canopy on and masked. Pylons on and center line fuel tank fitted. Ready for paint!

DSC08639_zpssvqhnbg7.jpg

:cheers:/>/>

Mike

Edited by mlicari

Woah! Blink and your almost ready for paint! :lol:/>

What do you plan to hang from your hawk? :-)

:D

Actually, I'm going to use just the center line drop tank. Pretty rare to find a pic of a low-viz A-4M with anything but fuel tanks.

Makes the whole thing easier too! :)

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ok!  When the forum went down, I was just about to paint.  I've completely finished it since then, so here is a mix of "in progress" shots and the finished product!

Freshly painted:

DSC08660_zpsf2w3wr3t.jpg

Gear on...

DSC08662_zps6zarwtox.jpg

Decals and done!

DSC08669_zpsdifpa50o.jpg

DSC08668_zpsxuompdoj.jpg

DSC08672_zpsn4x5xb7m.jpg

DSC08673_zps6mxiao5u.jpg

I was playing around with lighting in the last couple of pictures...

Hope you like it!